SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to replace plugs, about 6 months after replacing the ignition coils.

Should I have replaced all the plugs when replacing the ignition coils?

The plugs were about 12-months/9,000 miles old when the coils were done.

Plugs were about 19 months/12,000 miles old when one started misfiring a few days ago, while I was camping. Grrr.

Bosch plugs. My mistake.

Was this a service fail, or just one of those things?

I'm curious, as I just changed service providers.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on the vehicle?
maybe 72K

just did the 70K checkup (but didn't replace plugs), when the coils were done

it's a 2004 - which gets driven pretty much only when we tow our small camper (1200-1500 pounds)

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
Only time I've replaced coils along with plugs is when we went in to replace the plugs and all 5 coils were cracked. But that was in a Volvo with 240K miles on it. Strictly For What Its Worth...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ignition coils should not be a maintenance item (in my opinion). I only replace them as they fail. That said, I've only replaced two that I can remember ... one on a Jeep Cherokee V8, and one on a Volvo 2.5T XC90. Plug ends, however, do erode with usage ... different engines have different plug lives .. but I think 100k miles is a bit optimistic for any application.
Any plug must be installed with the proper torque. Any over-torque will twist the metal outside body of the plug and can cause separation/cracking of the porcelain insulator. Bosch seems to be more sensitive to over-torque according to the many complaints I read. However, I do not hesitate to use them ... along with my torque wrench!
I expect one day soon plugs will be sold with the coil as part of the assembly ... only makes sense.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
And when you replace the plug, you'll replace the coil pack too... Way expensive

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It'll only happen if costs are "in line"... it would make for some space savings, which might be cost effective "overall". Who knows? The injectors could be included in the "package". I'm sure the designers and bean-counters are on it as we write.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts