SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner of a new 2021 V60 PE ordered in the beginning of Feb 2021 and just arrived this past week. Didn't come with the cargo cover as discussed elsewhere on this site but my dealer threw a new one in for me which of course I really appreciate.

Started this thread bc I couldn't find anything on the new keys Volvo is doing. My regular black key and orange CARE key are both totally plastic (silver pieces are possibly metal, unsure, but they feel similar to the previous keys) without the leather cover to them that previous keys had (also purchased a 2021 XC60 Recharge in January 2021). Has anyone else gotten totally plastic keys? Seems like a terrible place to cut corners. Really feels much cheaper than the previous key which I think feel really nice.

And no sport key anymore which I think others have said before.

I've included some pictures. The only improvement (to me) is that the new plastic key is slightly thinner.

·
Registered
2021 V60 T8 PE
70 Posts
Yeah, I am bummed about the plastic keys and the fact that you only get one real key. It seems insane that you can't program the car to treat the Care Key like a normal key. Does Volvo assume that you only have one real driver? I can't even add a second real profile to the car because with the Care Key it's impossible to program anything on the fake profile that is wasted on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s insane. The kind of design choice that while it may save a few dollars gives off a very cheap and completely dissatisfying customer experience. More troubling, it also begs the question of where else Volvo is cutting corners that aren’t quite as obvious and visible to the eye. As back to back owners of the XC90 and just having gotten the 2021 Recharge, we’re looking elsewhere next

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It was a week 46 change.

Volvo hounded the dealers this year about JD power ratings and I'm over here like... ummm... you only give customers one real key now. And it's not like the orange key is cost savings... because you could make it a normal key that's programmable at the cost to Volvo of $0. So it's just an awful marketing choice.

As for the leather, I know we got lots of complaints about the blond leather getting dirty too easy in some folks pockets depending on what else is in the pocket (I was such a person so I bought a sleeve for the key, which then just made it bulkier. The plastic is certainly more durable, and Volvo is also making a push to offer animal free products because that is a concern for some folks/cultures. Though all inscriptions currently have leather in other parts of the car anyhow, so the key is far from the major factor.

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It was a week 46 change.

Volvo hounded the dealers this year about JD power ratings and I'm over here like... ummm... you only give customers one real key now. And it's not like the orange key is cost savings... because you could make it a normal key that's programmable at the cost to Volvo of $0. So it's just an awful marketing choice.

As for the leather, I know we got lots of complaints about the blond leather getting dirty too easy in some folks pockets depending on what else is in the pocket (I was such a person so I bought a sleeve for the key, which then just made it bulkier. The plastic is certainly more durable, and Volvo is also making a push to offer animal free products because that is a concern for some folks/cultures. Though all inscriptions currently have leather in other parts of the car anyhow, so the key is far from the major factor.
Wait, Volvo hounded the dealers? Volvo produces the cars, not the dealers. And almost all my issues I've had with Volvo are on the production side.

As for the plastic keys instead of leather... I'm unsure what to think. Our orange leather care key was replaced for free at the dealer with a standard black plastic key fob. It will be more durable for sure. It's also easier retrieve from your pocket and less bulky. And most importantly, it's fully functional unlike the orange key. Our 2017 keys have been beat up pretty bad and we now have rubber protection covers on them to help preserve the leather and silver trim.

Side note, Audi's keys are plastic and cheap feeling... even on the optioned out Q8. It's not just Volvo.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Yeah we had a whole training session on how dealers are the cause of bad JD power scores... and honestly , reading some reports here I can see improvements can be made. Our trainer told us of someone in sales at a store that still sells two brands didn't even know Volvo sells a pure electric car. So there is always room for improvement and some stores probably need more than others. But I would agree Volvo does a few bone headed things that just make no sense, like the care key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I am bummed about the plastic keys and the fact that you only get one real key. It seems insane that you can't program the car to treat the Care Key like a normal key. Does Volvo assume that you only have one real driver? I can't even add a second real profile to the car because with the Care Key it's impossible to program anything on the fake profile that is wasted on it.
I was also surprised and disappointed by the key changes when receiving our 21’ XC90 Inscription.

From what I was told by a Volvo on call rep, the Care key can be re-programmed to be a standard key. You have to take it to a Volvo dealer and have them flash the key with the following software:
SP:32364507
Additionally, I was told they should do this free of charge.

·
Registered
2021 V60 T8 PE
70 Posts
I was also surprised and disappointed by the key changes when receiving our 21’ XC90 Inscription.

From what I was told by a Volvo on call rep, the Care key can be re-programmed to be a standard key. You have to take it to a Volvo dealer and have them flash the key with the following software:
SP:32364507
Additionally, I was told they should do this free of charge.
Yep, this is a recent development. Had mine done a couple weeks ago. Worked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts