SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This damn car has been leaky as hell...and I found another one. My V50 doesn't have a roof rack so under the roof trim that runs front to back there are holes. Apparently Volvo thought it was ok to just put some butyl tape over these holes, nope! The tape had started to dissolve on my car and left a clear path for water to enter the vehicle on both sides of the roof. The best part being that once the water is in, it runs forward and back in a boxed section of the roof and runs out at both the C and D pillars, making it look like a sunroof drain problem.

8 M6x1.0 chamfered screws and some RTV later, I believe I've sealed up that leak. Once it's dry I'll have to spray the car down again and make sure I don't still have other leaks. Getting pretty tired of pulling the interior out of this car :thumbdown:

Hope someone tracking down water leaks finds this useful!

·
Registered
2007 V50 T5 AWD Manual, 1998 V70R
77 Posts
This damn car has been leaky as hell...and I found another one. My V50 doesn't have a roof rack so under the roof trim that runs front to back there are holes. Apparently Volvo thought it was ok to just put some butyl tape over these holes, nope! The tape had started to dissolve on my car and left a clear path for water to enter the vehicle on both sides of the roof. The best part being that once the water is in, it runs forward and back in a boxed section of the roof and runs out at both the C and D pillars, making it look like a sunroof drain problem.

8 M6x1.0 chamfered screws and some RTV later, I believe I've sealed up that leak. Once it's dry I'll have to spray the car down again and make sure I don't still have other leaks. Getting pretty tired of pulling the interior out of this car 👎

Hope someone tracking down water leaks finds this useful!
Thank you! Having leaks like this basically makes it worse than a pinto IMO, and I love Volvo. My 98 V70R is leaking, but for a reason, rusty frame around sunroof.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts