SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at 63k the car is getting new piston rings for oil consumption. I bought the car with 8k on it in early 2016. Noticed the oil ran dirty quickly. Then this last oil it change it suddenly consumed so much oil in 3400 miles that the oil pressure warning flashed. So I stopped and had it towed. They looked at it a couple days and called saying they are replacing the rings.

I specially researched this when trading in my 2002 S60 on this car. I thought I was well outside this issue, guess not. I figure I will watch it closely after the change. Of course I’m now concerned about the engine’s longevity. I put 210k on the last one. Is there anything I should be doing here? It is CPO until July 2020. I was quickly shutdown when asked about the bearings.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
That is surprising on a '14. The vast majority of the issues that folks post about is the '12 cars with a few '13 thrown in. I don't have any experience with bearings but when you get the car back try to listen for any knocking - hopefully you caught it in time and did no bearing damage.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
There is a bulletin for the B5254T12 engines, which were used from 2013 to 2016. If the low oil light comes on and there are no external leaks, it gets piston rings (assuming proper service intervals haven been followed, of course)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not a recall. His car is CPO so it's warranty.
yes correct CPO, so it is warranty coverage. They still have the car, pistons were out yesterday. I talked to the mechanic, seemed to have a good process to inspect the rod bearings and bore, if the cylinder bores were damaged they were going to put a short block in. I told them Im not in a rush to get it back :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello. I’m having the same issue.
Oil Consumption issues 2013 s60 T5
Hello all, I’ve been burning thru 4 quarts of oil in 500 miles. Took it to the dealership who documented the consumption. dropped my car off Monday per their request. They said they’d have it for about a week for diagnostics and possibly new piston rings or engine. The service associate called my yesterday to say repair is not covered by my warranty and costs $4,700 but he is “working on it” called me today and said Volvo is willing to cover the parts but I have to pay labor which is $1,700. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you

Is it normal to have to cover labor?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Hello. I’m having the same issue.
Oil Consumption issues 2013 s60 T5
Hello all, I’ve been burning thru 4 quarts of oil in 500 miles. Took it to the dealership who documented the consumption. dropped my car off Monday per their request. They said they’d have it for about a week for diagnostics and possibly new piston rings or engine. The service associate called my yesterday to say repair is not covered by my warranty and costs $4,700 but he is “working on it” called me today and said Volvo is willing to cover the parts but I have to pay labor which is $1,700. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you

Is it normal to have to cover labor?
Are you out of warranty?

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
And how many miles are on the car?

Goodwill is case by case. If you aren't the original owner and/or have higher miles and/or don't have much dealer service history, paying labor is a good deal. I've seen some 50/50 splits offered. Some fully goodwilled (usually original owner's who always service at the dealer)

·
Registered
13 Posts
82,000. Thank you for responding. I thought it was a decent deal too. He also said they’re charging me warranty labor price not retail. I just hope this fixes everything.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I think that's a really good solution for a car out of warranty to pay around 1/3 of the price - good for you!

·
Registered
753 Posts
For $1700 better make sure they change your piston rings and not just the PVC breather box/oil filter housing. Inspect the parts carefully to make sure they change your piston rings. It's a big job. Your head has to be removed, the pan underneath has to be dropped and the rings need to be installed at a staggered angle. A lot of parts need to be removed before the head, the dogbone engine mount, alternator, air box Bosch computer, fuel rail, solenoids, cam cover which has 40+ bolts, the big 12 engine head bolts etc etc. And then it has to be all put back together which in cam cover's case involves a special glue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice. I had my PCV replaced about 5 months ago. Now thinking that it was needed due to this other issue.

·
Registered
753 Posts
They did say it could take up to 2 weeks. In the meantime I have a loaner car, it’s a 2020 S60 and is glorious
Wow, that's a nice loaner. Can you give us your overall review of the new 2019-20 S60 compared to the 2011-2018 ? Interior feel, ride comparison, braking, acceleration, roominess factor, tech features such as ACC, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the start/stop engine is a knob that you turn located behind the gear stick. It’s an extremely smooth drive. The main consult is a touch screen that can display your daily mileage driven and gas consumption. Very safe back up camera and alerts when parking if your too close to another ca. The body style looks reminds me of a BMW, less wide in the back.
I’m not a big car person so I’m not great at describing details lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts