SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I recently purchased this 2004 Volvo V70 R in Passion Red with 90,000 miles. I love the car and was attracted to it by Jalopnik articles and old motor trend reviews. I am new to the brand and have previously drove an Audi A4 avant and a ram pickup. The car drives great and was previously maintained by a Volvo enthusiast. I intend to do keep it clean and fresh as he did. I have several question as I am new to v70 R ownership. First, the polestar badge on the rear... does that mean the car has had an ECU tune (which would be great) or do they give those out to any car? Second, any special maintenance tips? Third, I'd like to keep the car more or less stock but would like to install bluetooth audio. Is there a way to do this using the current audio unit without an FM transmitter? Thank you for reading. Happy to be here.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Couple points, based on standard practice and experience with a '07 R.

1. You are at the mileage for timing belt (TB) change, unless previous own has already done it. When do the TB, common practice is to do the water pump and tension pulley because you are there. Some folks will do that every other TB... your choice.

2. Note that '04s have a different electrical setup than the '05-'07 Rs. So electrical switches and other type parts must be, for the most part, be '04 specific.

3. The Polestar badge, as fare as I know, is likely a poser... Polestar not make tunes for the P2 till 2006. And that is for the non-R motor (B5254T4), rather the B5254T2.
https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/upgrades/model-selector/#?vehicle_model=S60&market=us&modelYearId=57

Your car may have a tune on it, but not from Polestar.

4. Bluetooth... implies a lot. I added OEM Volvo BT to my '07 but not sure it was available in '04... BUT it only does phone calls, no fancy BT most think of today. For that, there are a number of options depending on iPhone or Android. Start here: http://www.volvotech.eu/s60/S60-MY-2001-2004

Google search for the rest.

You did not mention of manual or automatic. If auto, consider a trans flush. Also, as a newbie to Volvo, the '04-'05 are torque limited in first (and maybe second, don't recall for sure) so the tranny does not break.

PS: Basically, unless the seller gave you a lot of service records that supports it's care history, best practice is to get the R to a know Stage Zero (base line stock). Fuel filter, oil, plugs, air filter, rubber hoses, etc., so all wear/consumable items are fresh (this of course as budget allows).

In any event, enjoy your R!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rhmorris,
Thanks for the advice. Will have the car inspected in the next month and discuss the TB, water pump and tension pulley. Will make sure dealer is using year specific parts. The seller did include a lot of documentation with the vehicle but none that reference a tune or otherwise aftermarket additions to car.

Couple points, based on standard practice and experience with a '07 R.

1. You are at the mileage for timing belt (TB) change, unless previous own has already done it. When do the TB, common practice is to do the water pump and tension pulley because you are there. Some folks will do that every other TB... your choice.

2. Note that '04s have a different electrical setup than the '05-'07 Rs. So electrical switches and other type parts must be, for the most part, be '04 specific.

3. The Polestar badge, as fare as I know, is likely a poser... Polestar not make tunes for the P2 till 2006. And that is for the non-R motor (B5254T4), rather the B5254T2.
https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/upgrades/model-selector/#?vehicle_model=S60&market=us&modelYearId=57

Your car may have a tune on it, but not from Polestar.

4. Bluetooth... implies a lot. I added OEM Volvo BT to my '07 but not sure it was available in '04... BUT it only does phone calls, no fancy BT most think of today. For that, there are a number of options depending on iPhone or Android. Start here: http://www.volvotech.eu/s60/S60-MY-2001-2004

Google search for the rest.

You did not mention of manual or automatic. If auto, consider a trans flush. Also, as a newbie to Volvo, the '04-'05 are torque limited in first (and maybe second, don't recall for sure) so the tranny does not break.

PS: Basically, unless the seller gave you a lot of service records that supports it's care history, best practice is to get the R to a know Stage Zero (base line stock). Fuel filter, oil, plugs, air filter, rubber hoses, etc., so all wear/consumable items are fresh (this of course as budget allows).

In any event, enjoy your R!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts