SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1- can I adjust how far the rear lift gate opens?

2- what is the best mode to drive in? Generally speaking....

3- how does the internal wifi and modem work? I'm a little confused. Is it free?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1) It's been 5 months since I read the manual so I don't recall if you can set a limit for the lift gate open. I have noticed it has a very sensitive sensor. I have a garage at our cabin that has a low roof line and I was worried about the door hitting it so I held my hand just before where it would to stop it and with the slightest touch of my hand it stopped itself.

2) Drive mode is entirely subjective. I stay in Comfort most of the time because it serves all my needs, will always be the default mode when you turn on the car, and it has better fuel economy than Dynamic. Dynamic certainly is a lot more fun because the far is clearly more peppy and responsive in it -- you can feel that -- but most of the time I just don't need it. If I am alone on a wide open country road I sometimes switch to it just for fun. Economy is supposed to be more fuel efficient but in my tests that didn't prove out. But, probably due to another software glitch, when I am in eco the start/stop engine feature doesn't work like it does in Comfort. I have yet to try the Off Road mode which only works at slow speeds.

3) The internal modem is free only for the first six months (though I am at 5 months and have yet to receive anything from Volvo on paying to keep it). I haven't yet personally tried using it for wi-fi because it's limited to 3G and, contrary to what should be the case, the antenna appears far weaker than a typical mobile phone -- it takes several minutes to acquire signal after being turned on and frequently loses it. So I just stick with using my LTE/4G phone as a hot-spot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My issue with #1 is the same. Low clearance in the garage. My explorer adjusts to a certain height. Surely this does too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured out #1. Press and hold trunk close button at desired opening height. It will beep when programmed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For #1 there is a way. Open the rear door and manually set it on the height you want. Then press the close button in the door for about three seconds. After you listen to a beep, the new height is set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
For OP. Very good Volvo manual app in Apple Store. Great search functionality. You can also access manual in the car by swiping into the top screen of Sensus. Instructions for 1 are definitely there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For OP. Very good Volvo manual app in Apple Store. Great search functionality. You can also access manual in the car by swiping into the top screen of Sensus. Instructions for 1 are definitely there.
Thanks. The printed manual doesn't seem to cover a lot of these.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I downloaded the PDF from Volvo and then had my Apple Books app open it. Now whenever I need to reference it, I just open my iPad (or phone) and can search for keywords from the app. Works better in my opinion than the Volvo interactive manual app itself.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The XC90H (T8) web version was updated today - 20151030. The PDF version is no longer accessible on VCNA. The site mentioned above still has the July 2015 version. I prefer the iBook version over the web version - both have their benefits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a way to disable the engine standby? I tried to do it from the menu and it doesn't seem to work.

Sitting at a stoplight if you let off the brake slightly you get a jerk from the engine kicking in. Minor annoyance, but still.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The easiest way so far is to put the gear shift to manual position when you stop, and move back to D when about to move.

Or you choose dynamic or custom mode every time when starting driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts