SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was part of an M3 forum for the last several years but just switched to Volvo today :) Took it to a mechanic before buying and have a couple issues with it and hoping to get a few suggestions . .

Need new battery. Can I just un-hook it and hook up a new one? (the srs urgent airbag light is already on and I know dealer needs to reset)

Left front end damage: Need L lower control arm, L inner & outer tie rod ends, L front half shaft. Do you guys have some kind of online discount parts place you go to? Getting tires and alignment after these are installed.

Turbo: The guy said a previous owner put in a $300 chip to save on gas and increase speed, but didn't know what kind. How would I find out besides maybe a dyno? Any other starting mods to help turbo and car breathe easier?

Software: Probly been many years before it's been taken to the dealer for any updates, if ever. Can anyone like indepenent mechanics give me software updates? Tranny slightly knocks at 15mph when slowing down, read that a software update might fix this. . Thank you for your suggestions in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Battery: Make sure the key is in position II when you reconnect the battery. It's in the trunk.

Parts: This will for sure start a debate. Some people are still loyal to fcpgroton.com or fcpeuro.com. I like eeuroparts.com. OEM Try tascaparts.com or myswedishparts.com

Turbo: You can try an iPd intake kit www.ipdusa.com

Software: Most independent shops cannot afford the volvo software packages. You can look in to getting a DICE unit and a volvo software subscription (its like 110 bucks for 3 days or something) or take it to the dealer. They have free software updates with service. (labor)

Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Well there if a few online shops thats you can get great prices on oem parts and also aftermarket.

Www.fcpeuro.com
Www.ipdusa.com
Www.tasca.com

Ypu will find all the pars to refresh your suspension there. About the turbo anything that cost less tan $500-600 in tune for our cars can be something that will not work well, unless is a tune made it from a tuner diectly. There is not such a cheap tune for our cars, specialy for 05+ models which have bigger turbo(k24). So be careful. Its like installing some cheap chip on m3 and make 50hp.

About the tranny, you can go to tour local dealer to check the last software, hope is that and nothing wrong with it. Post pics

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
You are more than welcome S60 cars are great and last years with the correct service. How many miles does th car has? Some parts that you need to inspect:
- timing belt
- coils and plugs
- pcv system
- bushings
- shocks mounts
- engine mounts

Do stage 0, so you can start tontrack the oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has 115k I can see the timimg belt, it has no cracks or wear. I don't know how to inspect the others, I'll have a mechanic check them out though.

*Check engine light just came on, P0136 and P0140. Looks like I need a new O2 sensor. Guy at Autozone confused me, are there 2 or just 1 ?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
your car has 2 sensors, one is exactly after the turbocharger and the other one on the CAT. The P0136 means there is open circuit, etc on the sensor and the P0140 is not activity on the sensor, just replace it. The good thing is that the rear one is cheaper than front one which is A/F type.

The timing belt in our cars will be hard to see if it has cracks due the inner surface of the belt which is not smooth. Just be carefull.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thanks. about to order parts, so do those error codes mean I need to replace both sensors? Or just the one on the cat.
Also, I'm hearing a wet whistle kinda noise when accelerating from 1-3k rpms , but only when car is cold . .

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
the codes says the rear one from what i see, but def. you should try to do the rear first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok getting a Bosch O2 sensor today, it's univeral and comes with a connector but I have to splice 4 wires. Is that a perty easy DIY?

Also I'm looking at some 17" tires, is the 235 45 17 setup good for this model? Any other setup thats good?

·
Registered
27 Posts
225-45-17 would be a better fit. No rubbing on wheel well. I would prefer a Bosch direct fit O2 sensor that the univ. type.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i did use 235/40 on my old 17" wheels since i use R pegasus i tested 235 and 225 i can say go with the 225 if you are 17"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with the 235/45/17 and theres no rubbing at all. I'm still hearing a low-pitched whistle sound coming from the turbo when the car is cold and I acceleerate. Is this normal for these cars?? It goes away after about 30seconds of driving. Everytime

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Possible your manifold gasket is gone or maybe one bolt is missing. After the engine warms it expands and no more noise

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here is a video clip of the sound, can you hear a slight screech just as I start to rev? And a little exhaust pop sound at the end of a rev?
That edelbrock sticker was on when I bought it and has since been removed. The previous owner obviously changed my air box to cylinder type, that wouldn't cause a noise would ? These sounds were there before, the old air filter was filthy and I put the K n N on tight.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
sounds like exhaust leak or turbo leak.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok cool, would that explain the horrible wimpy dying bird sound at the end of the revs? What is that??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also, it looks like the PO cut the OTE pipe maybe for a more direct airflow, and obviously it's not screwed on to the bolt. Is that a problem? seems perty secure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts