SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum with a lot of useful info.
Just today I picked up a 2004 XC90 T5 with about 130K miles on it. The Carfax came back fine and in February 2019, Volvo of Culver City "serviced" the engine. The car is loaded with every possible option and everything works on the car including every interior light, navigation, radio, cold AC etc.
When the car idles it idles slightly rough and the engine makes a purring sound while driving. Also on occasion I wll hear this "clink" sound from the engine compartment going over a smallish bump. I will call the dealer tomorrow and to see what service was performed but my question is as follows:

Do I need to perform any major service including changing spark plugs, etc? The car doesn't seem to make any crunching sounds etc on full U turns so I feel everything is OK with the axles. The ride itself seems to be pretty smooth and I am happy with the car overall. Just want to make it reliable enough for a 40 mile daily commute.
Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since you didn't get a pre-puchase inspection done, it would be a good idea to get an inspection done now either at the dealer or a good Volvo independent to scan the car and also check it out mechanically. That way you at least have a starting point, and some idea where you are at.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you didn't get a pre-puchase inspection done, it would be a good idea to get an inspection done now either at the dealer or a good Volvo independent to scan the car and also check it out mechanically. That way you at least have a starting point, and some idea where you are at.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These 5cyls dont idle perfectly smooth, but I would check your upper torque bushing (highest part on the engine top right) and transmission mount (bottom front right on engine) to see if the are torn up and need replaced. As for the "clink" sound , my guess would be the sway bar end links are bad as this sound is common with low speed bumps.

If you don't know the service history, PCV breather system would be the top of the list for maintenance. Timing belt/water pump/ pulleys would be #2

A good way to test the breather system is while idle, place a rubber glove over the oil fill hole and see if it is sucking into the motor or pushing out. Sucking in is good.

Never hurts to replace spark plugs, fuel filter and inspect hoses for cracks and air leaks either.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These 5cyls dont idle perfectly smooth, but I would check your upper torque bushing (highest part on the engine top right) and transmission mount (bottom front right on engine) to see if the are torn up and need replaced. As for the "clink" sound , my guess would be the sway bar end links are bad as this sound is common with low speed bumps.

If you don't know the service history, PCV breather system would be the top of the list for maintenance. Timing belt/water pump/ pulleys would be #2

A good way to test the breather system is while idle, place a rubber glove over the oil fill hole and see if it is sucking into the motor or pushing out. Sucking in is good.

Never hurts to replace spark plugs, fuel filter and inspect hoses for cracks and air leaks either.

Hope this helps
Yes it most certainly helps. I am taking the car in tomorrow to get it thoroughly checked out by a Volvo experienced mechanic. I have the spark plugs and ignition coils on hand to get them changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts