SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New owner of an 08 M66 1.0! "Build"/messing with it thread

3K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  sethc30 
#1 ·
Recently got my hands on an M66 C30 with a few things to do to it. Price was right, have been looking for one for years, and figured M66 in the lightest spec car would be "peak P1" - I have an S40 2.4i that's very much the other end of the scale.

Originally a California car that made its way to the other coast, with heaps of recent maintenance incl. a timing belt, but some needs in a few departments, mostly cosmetic.

Intend to backfill this with some things I've already done to it. Happy to be here and on the C30 train.

#2 ·
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Here it is as I bought it. Not terribly obvious here: a right tail light lens that was completely cooked by the California sun, similarly toasted mirror caps.
Not too bad, not too good interior with a torn up driver seat and dinged aluminum trim. Also a pervasive damp smell, as apparently the tailgate had construction workers drop something on it, hence a newer tailgate and a fresh left side tail light.
Some slop shifting and on/off throttle, throwing mounts at it. Also some mighty creaky/poppy seats.

#3 ·
One of the first things was interior. That driver seat was an eyesore, and in addressing it I figured I may as well try and freshen up the rest - the black t-tec was exacerbating the "1.0-ness" on the inside.

Picked up a set of skins from a member on here, and started the 6-7 hour process of tearing out the interior and reupholstering the seats. There's absolutely an ineptitude tax in that duration, but it's very labor intensive nonetheless.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow

Automotive design Comfort Grey Car seat cover Personal luxury car

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Completely transformed the impression from the interior though, and well worth it.

#8 ·
Next was the grotty aluminum trim. Picked up an oyster burst set from Erie.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille Bumper

Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Audio equipment Gas

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Speedometer

Automotive lighting Automotive design Personal luxury car Carbon Bumper

This is a move I'm actually still on the fence about. The old trim needed replacing, sure - but I liked the contrast it provided. The oyster burst is nice up close, but fades into the background a bit. The center console cover on this set also has a few pin-dents that really catch the light. Might try to find a nicer oyster burst console cover, revert to aluminum if there is one out there that's un-dented... Don't know for sure.

#9 ·
Nice work on the seats, just like new. If you see another set let me know.

The center consoles are hard to come by. Since you don't mind detail and tedious work may want to find a wrap you like to hide those scratches, dings and dimples. Holding up for at least 3 years now but the door handles were too difficult to do right first time trying the wrap. Did remove it so the wrap is all around to the back of the waterfall.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part

Vehicle Gadget Automotive design Cameras & optics Camera accessory

Automotive design Personal luxury car Tints and shades Carbon Electric blue

#10 ·
Holding up for at least 3 years now but the door handles were too difficult to do right first time trying the wrap. Did remove it so the wrap is all around to the back of the waterfall
That's slick! Might try something similar on the set I pulled out - though I do fear the narrow spots. Maybe I'd go for a brushed steel or similar for contrast with the dark interior

#12 ·
Reactions: lunalolvo
#14 ·
Awesome! I am glad someone scooped it up can't beat a DriveE for that price!

Reactions: lunalolvo
#16 ·
Next came a Drive-E spoiler mentioned above. It came with the hatch, so I just bolted it on. Previous owner cut the wiring harness boot(!) in installing it, which is something I might have to address. Finding the tint a helpful alternative to a luggage cover though.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

The yard that had it had a bizarre "you must wait while we pull" policy that had me sitting there for 2 hours. Still, as alluded to above - a great price. It's unfortunately cosmic white rather than the body (electric?) silver. The mismatch can be somewhat evident lighting depending:
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

#21 ·
Less to look at, but all new mounts all the way around.
Chose to go with mostly O'Reilly's own brand stuff solely for the warranty - if I do pick up some of the spotty aftermarket mount luck that I and others have had, I should be able to get another. I'll take those odds to save a bunch. O'Reilly passenger upper and torque mount, URO upper transmission mount as it was almost 50% cheaper - I'll gamble.

On my S40, both a Pro Parts Sweden and a URO upper engine mount have failed in relatively short order. The O'Reilly one is the tallest aftermarket I've seen, for what it's worth.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Road surface Wood

#24 ·
With the wrap discussion here, figured I'd make an accent color of the mismatched spoiler and burnt mirror caps.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

The mirror will need some attention as I neglected paint prep and just about ran out of vinyl, so it's stretched pretty thin. But it does put together a somewhat cohesive looking scheme - debating adding another element or two to pull it together. Antenna cap, door handles maybe? Not sure.

#25 ·
Gave it a thrash at a track day!
Roasted the brake pads, overdrove it a bit and took a lot out of the front tires.
Putting somewhat spicier DFC semi-metallics on, as well as some new rear rotors. Also got a throttle pedal spacer for a Focus RS so I stand a chance at heel-toe.

That's a point-by, and not a rude gesture at the BMWs around me.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

#26 ·
What track did you go to??

#32 ·
No sir, partway out with a lot of pad depth remaining. Yep, I know they rotate, I imagine that can catch some people out.

I think whoever did the last brake service "not my problem"-ed it. There was a huge lengthwise gash in the face of the piston, wonder if someone did that to try and retract it.

#33 ·
Pretty exciting development!
Found a part out locally, and came for a set of Atreus wheels with good tires. Seeing as I chewed up mine quite a bit on the track already, I could use some spares - and rims with tires for the price of tires alone sounded great. Plus they look good.

It got greater though, as the parts car was a 2.0 with the full body kit. The yard wanted a completely insignificant amount for EVERYTHING, down to mirror caps and spoiler. I got home with it and realized that it's an exact match for the vinyl wrap on my drive-e spoiler! What are the chances. I bought their spoiler for the sake of color match, but I may not even need it.

Ordered the skirt clips so those aren't on, but I've got most of it assembled, and I love the two tone. Kind of like a launch edition but grayscale.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle