SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a proud owner of a new 2016 XC90 Momentum with the Momentum Plus, Vision, booster seat, and Protection packages. I fell in love with the car when we test drove it. For a large vehicle, it packed a lot of power and was waiting for me to use it. More importantly the wife loved it too for the space. When we bought the car, it just seemed perfect, the car came into the dealership and we were the first ones to test drive our car and we bought it that day. So, truly, only one driver :D.

I have had the car for a week now and I have a few questions around my experience with the car:
* I got the first check engine light before the car hit 600 miles on it. I will have to get the exact error code, but the dealership said that a software update took care of it. I will update the thread once I get back in the car. The odd thing, after getting the car back, I was sitting at a traffic light and heard a constant low "eeeeeee" sound. I turned the AC and fan off thinking that is where it was coming from, and it still persisted (media/radio was off). I will see if I hear it again, but I don't remember hearing it.
* When you turn the car's engine off, do you hear something like a backfire from the rear or a clank sound? I seriously thought this was why the check engine sign came on. I see that my left exhaust has black smut, the right side is pristine. The Service guy told me this was common, what is happening is that even though you have a dual tailpipes, the gases will come through the path of least resistance.
* I took the car back to the dealer ship after a couple days of driving because I got a message stating that Auto Start/Stop service required with the message of "The Start/Stop function needs to be checked by a Volvo service technician to ensure optimal fuel saving." Has anyone see this? I am in the Atlanta, GA USA area and sit in a lot of stop an go traffic in the mornings. I only see this message once in a day, but have seen it a couple of times now. The service tech said that the system checked out clean, no errors. He would recommend just turning off this feature in rush hour traffic.

While the car was in the shop, they also managed to bless it by scratching the back bumper. The manager was good and told me they would take care of it. Just sucks that I have only had the car for a week and the car has been in the shop twice.

Sorry to post so much negative things, other then what I mentioned above, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. I so want to just enjoy the car, but paranoia is kicking in. I wanted to see if you guys had experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've had a message here and there, none were shutdown items and went away after a few miles, I would not take it back to the dealership for that.

The pinging I found to be normal with any new car or fairly new car that I've owned. I believe its exhaust gasses and the different pieces of relatively thin metal that make up all exhaust systems expanding and contracting against each other. The smut on one or both of the exhaust bezels is common in my experience, I'm happy its not on the painted portion of the bumper. Not that there's a real problem with that, I just don't like the look of it.

I wonder if the winning noise that you hear is the supercharger, I didn't notice it at first either but it's definitely there. Truth be told, I kind of like it.

I hope this helps. Good luck, It sounds like you optioned your XC nicely. Looking forward to some pics ;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have noticed more black soot around the left tailpipe as well. Not what I would call excessive yet but definitely a lot more. I'm not an exhaust tech but part of me wants to call bs on the "path of least resistance" explanation. Isn't the purpose of dual exhaust to give the entire system less resistance, thinking that exhaust is flowing out of both pipes?

I've also recently noticed a whine at idle in dynamic mode. The pessimist in me says this was not there before but I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dont know bout the whine, maybe supercharge whine lol, but i woould get that checked.

The left soot thing, is probably the exhaust vale opening and closing. At cold start, and in comfort, their are exhaust valves in the muffler (or before depending on config), that will close to maintain either quicker warm up temps, or aural guidelines. Usually if you want the exhaust to flow equally search the web for the golf t mod.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have noticed more black soot around the left tailpipe as well. Not what I would call excessive yet but definitely a lot more. I'm not an exhaust tech but part of me wants to call bs on the "path of least resistance" explanation. Isn't the purpose of dual exhaust to give the entire system less resistance, thinking that exhaust is flowing out of both pipes?

I've also recently noticed a whine at idle in dynamic mode. The pessimist in me says this was not there before but I can't say for sure.
One side will flow more than the other. This is common in all cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for all the posts. I really appreciate the info. I just so want to love the car, which I absolutely do when I am driving it. The noise is a bit concerning.

The Error code that triggered the engine light was a ECM-P001622: Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation. The techs mentioned that the light went away after the software updates.

I got the whining sound to today and was able to record it.

I heard that noise for the first time after I got the car back. I have an appointment with the dealership on Tuesday to have them paint the scrape that they caused. I will have them look over it.

Here are some pictures of my ride.

: I am hoping this works because it is a shareable link from google photos. If not, I posted some on google+ (https://plus.google.com/118290114969988023238/posts/MBGPyxo6Ntq)

Also, here is the message I got about the auto start:

·
Registered
572 Posts
The difference in soot on the tailpipes is 100% normal. The right side tailpipe has a damper valve that controls the release of exhaust depending on a few factors:

Passenger Compartment Comfort
Depending on the outdoor temperature and engine temperature, the damper opens at higher engine speeds and closes at lower engine speeds. This reduces humming noises inside the passenger compartment.

Dynamic Mode
In Dynamic mode the damper is always open regardless of the outdoor temperature and engine temperature.

Cold Environment
In cold weather the damper opens at low engine speeds to prevent ice formation in the right-hand end pipe.

Visible Smoke
In certain weather conditions and speeds, when exhaust gases are usually visible, there is a function that keeps the damper open slightly which produces visible smoke from both end pipes. This usually happens at low speeds, in cold weather and low engine temperature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info, that helps. I am assuming you saw the video and that is what you were referring to when you mentioned the dampeners.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
By the way, that is a great looking color combo! The blue is beautiful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine had that same whine on 1 occasion. Was very noticeable but did go away and hasn't returned, (Knock on wood).
It has happened to me twice so far. Car is in the shop getting the bumper fixed that the dealer damaged when the check engine light came on. I showed them the video and they will check it out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, that is a great looking color combo! The blue is beautiful.
Thanks... at first I was a be unsure, but my wife loved it, and I have to say, it has now grown on me and now love it as well. The only downside of having the light interior is that the all season mats they gave me picks up every little mark from any shoe. I may look into getting a different set at some pt. But within 5 minutes, the mats picked up scoff marks from my shoes and my wife was like wtf... what did you do.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks... at first I was a be unsure, but my wife loved it, and I have to say, it has now grown on me and now love it as well. The only downside of having the light interior is that the all season mats they gave me picks up every little mark from any shoe. I may look into getting a different set at some pt. But within 5 minutes, the mats picked up scoff marks from my shoes and my wife was like wtf... what did you do.
My wife has the soft beige in her vehicle and she has the same reaction with the carpets. We quickly picked up the all weather mats for it. My XC90 has the charcoal grey interior, I'm not necessarily a fan of the color but I value how utilitarian it is. Enjoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife has the soft beige in her vehicle and she has the same reaction with the carpets. We quickly picked up the all weather mats for it. My XC90 has the charcoal grey interior, I'm not necessarily a fan of the color but I value how utilitarian it is. Enjoy :thumbup:
I bought this and am planning to use on the mats once I take the car.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/281821853179

You may want to try and see if it helps you.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
thanks for the tip & good luck. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have heard this whine and know how to replicate it. If you have the car's parking break on and have the xc90 in drive, it will whine.

M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts