SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
581 - 600 of 611 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well I made the transition from a well loved P2 S60 and am now working out many bugs in my new to me 2011 xc60 t6, Terra Bronze

It's been so chaotic I haven't been able to get any great pictures, but, working on it.

The bugs are bad enough, started a thread today

Woo!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to Volvo ownership and have recently (past 2 weeks) purchased a 2010 XC60 T6 AWD with 90,xxx km.

Looking forward to taking it into the backcountry once the pandemic slows down. Until then it will be further detailing and modifications.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Volvo xc60

Just going through old DSLR photos.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, it was. The part number is #31425884 for non-tech pack cars. Based on what I found online, I thought I was going to have to remove the bumper. However, I was able to take it out in about 30 seconds after I released the the top tabs it came right out.
Any idea what the part number was of the grill for the tech pack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My name is Ed, and I love cars, engines, and fixing broken things. I was just gifted a gorgeous Volvo XC60 where "the repairs are more than the car is worth." I don't know what that means.

The car is a beautiful 2014 white with 200,000 on the clock. She's been kept immaculately with every possible dealer service, but currently "needs":

$3000 catalytic converter
$2000 brakes all around
$6000 rear differential

I like getting my hands dirty, and these estimates seem obscene. Joining the forum for some help and guidance while I try to beat the $11k repair estimate.

Catalytic converter:
Do these even go bad? The pipe is fine and not rusted or leaking. They said there is a risk to passing emissions. But I thought catalysts lasted well over 200k miles. Can I check performance with the right OBD reader? Is the dealer smoking something with that price?

Brakes:
Easy. I've done a bit of reading and it seems like I should replace with original Volvo. Any recommendations where to buy? ipd is about $600 for the full set. Which is fine unless you recommend somewhere else. I'll change these myself with the help of a YouTube video or a guide on here.

Differential:
Previous owner claims to hit a pot hole and had the AWD service light turn on. The car drives fine. Is the dealer right claiming the differential is screwed? This seems a big jump to conclusions. Are there any sensors or repairable things I should check first before finding a scrapyard diff?

Looking forward to being part of the community!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Catalytic converter:
Do these even go bad? The pipe is fine and not rusted or leaking. They said there is a risk to passing emissions. But I thought catalysts lasted well over 200k miles. Can I check performance with the right OBD reader? Is the dealer smoking something with that price?

Brakes:
Easy. I've done a bit of reading and it seems like I should replace with original Volvo. Any recommendations where to buy? ipd is about $600 for the full set. Which is fine unless you recommend somewhere else. I'll change these myself with the help of a YouTube video or a guide on here.

Differential:
Previous owner claims to hit a pot hole and had the AWD service light turn on. The car drives fine. Is the dealer right claiming the differential is screwed? This seems a big jump to conclusions. Are there any sensors or repairable things I should check first before finding a scrapyard diff?

Looking forward to being part of the community!
Why do they think the cat is bad? If the diagnosis came from a dealer, it's because standard procedure for a dealer is to pull the codes and look in the book and it's always going to say "replace". Same with brakes, and with diff. I'd say if there are trouble codes, reset them and drive it and see what comes back. There are service kits for the diff.

IPD is a good source but recommend FCP Euro. Really good prices and service, and all parts have a lifetime replacement policy. Including brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why do they think the cat is bad? If the diagnosis came from a dealer, it's because standard procedure for a dealer is to pull the codes and look in the book and it's always going to say "replace". Same with brakes, and with diff. I'd say if there are trouble codes, reset them and drive it and see what comes back. There are service kits for the diff.

IPD is a good source but recommend FCP Euro. Really good prices and service, and all parts have a lifetime replacement policy. Including brakes.
Thanks for the note! This is why I'm super skeptical. The previous owner took it to an overpriced non-Volvo shop. There's no way this car has been hooked up to VIDA/DICE since the warranty ran out. I think their approach was just to replace anything that might be remotely close to broken.

The brakes do need replaced (rotors and pads). Hoping between this forum, my new DICE, and FCP that I can repair the diff and cat problems rather than replace :)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Cats rarely fail. I don’t know of a single instance where a cat has gone bad on these cars. However on a 200,000 mile car, it’s far more likely that your cat efficiency code is due to one or more 02 sensors wearing out, as those *are* wear items and you likely have all your original ones in place and when they wear out you tend to get codes that suggest fuel trim or cat efficiency problems similar to what you’d get with an actual cat problem. Unfortunately it can be hard or impossible to remove old 02 sensors from the downpipe without leaving the threads messed up within the 02 sensor bungs.They can be fused to the downpipe and it’s easier and brings more money to replace the entire assembly including downpipe while also necessitating replacing the 02 sensors (which as I said are likely the only thing wrong with the car). So replacing the downpipe along with the 02 sensors will fix the codes even if it’s expensive overkill.

An indie mechanic would be more willing to find a cost effective solution, namely to replace the O2 sensors, keep the downpipe,and find some way to clean up the threads in the existing bungs to fit the new sensors. It’s possible that replacing the 02 sensors would, in fact, ruin the dp, and a new factory dp would be expensive to replace and install. So the dealership would rather avoid attempting the budget approach and would prefer the one that’s more profitable to them.

My recommendation therefore would be to take this opportunity to upgrade the dp with a quality aftermarket one, with all new sensors, and have a trusted Volvo indie do the work. It’ll be expensive, but less than the cost of the dealership repair while also giving you a performance upgrade to at least get an upgrade if you’re going to all that trouble and expense. It’ll sound better, too.

The catted Ferrita dp is about $1200 available at ViVa Performance, and is an OEM quality bolt on piece. IPD also makes a catted dp that’s considerably less expensive. If you have all new sensors and a new dp ready ahead of time, it’ll be an expensive repair but at least the money will be spent on a thorough refresh and you won’t be spending extra money on redundant labor trying to replace individual 02 sensors and trying to work around the headaches of replacing them one at a time in an old dp where they are thoroughly fused to the part. Even if just one sensor is worn out, assume they should all be replaced sometime soon, so might as well do it all at once within a fresh dp to avoid future headaches, expense, and legwork.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome post! Thanks for all the info. I'm a bit of a tinkerer, so I think I'll give this a shot in my own garage. Will create a writeup if I can't find one on here. I come from the Miata.net and SaabCentral communities where everything I want to do has already been written and documented before! My current planned approach will be:

1. Hook up to DICE and see what's actually going on (next week once DICE arrives)
2. Assuming bad reads from the O2 sensors, I'll try to remove them with a proper O2 sensor tool/my torch/pb blaster
3. Replace O2 sensors if they fail workbench tests too
4. Replace downpipe with IPD version if O2 sensor not at fault

That said, I can't find an IPD downpipe for my 3.2 engine. They only make a T6, and I assume they don't interchange?

Looking at VIDA, it appears my O2 sensor is 30756122. Scrapyard versions on Ebay are listed for as little as $50. Weird thing is there are two Cats listed for the AWD version. Any clue which one is right?

Catalytic Converter 36000757 -CH134999
Catalytic Converter 36001276 CH135000-

The genuine Volvo cat is $1500. Forget that! I've found these two aftermarkets. $400-$600 sounds much better if I do need to replace:
https://www.autohance.com/magnaflow...yU5I3QyVyg1_mSc7hxAlX0FqHZD6dNihoCnLAQAvD_BwE
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/30405-05687416.html

I'll get outta here and make my own thread once I get going :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad to se such a nice bunch of XC60's here. I

just traded my V60 T6 for a XC60 D4 AWD R Design in 707. A huge step down on performance and sound but a big step up in comfort and MPG. I wanted the big sun roof and 20"s with the R design. Plans are a bit of Polestar details but I gladly take advice on nice things to do with one of these.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glad to se such a nice bunch of XC60's here. I

just traded my V60 T6 for a XC60 D4 AWD R Design in 707. A huge step down on performance and sound but a big step up in comfort and MPG. I wanted the big sun roof and 20"s with the R design. Plans are a bit of Polestar details but I gladly take advice on nice things to do with one of these.

Looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

Yesterday I washed, decontaminated, waxed and then I did an quick shoot with the XC60 T6.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Moving over from the V50 forum (and prior to that Toyota/Land Cruiser forums).. Needed more room and something that could do a little towing.

Picked up this 2015 T6 (not 2015.5... I think) this weekend. Need to do some baselining & basic upkeep & maintenance, get studded tires for this winter and then will be doing small mods here and there... Needs a hitch to tow a raft trailer...

Hopefully picture shows, I'm behind work firewall that blocks it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
2nd Entry - new XC60

Hi all.

See my previous entry one page back from Feb 2019.

This was my previous XC60 D5, 2011 model.

We replaced it last week with a 2016 D4 Inscription with only 57k km on the clock (35k miles).

We LOVE the extra features of the facelift, the refinement and the looks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is Kindra. Picked her up on Monday. 2016 T6 with Polestar. No other mods except snow tires and wheels, but making a list for spring. What a great ride.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here ;-) V50 died and got an XC.

Moving over from the V50 forum (and prior to that Toyota/Land Cruiser forums).. Needed more room and something that could do a little towing.

Picked up this 2015 T6 (not 2015.5... I think) this weekend. Need to do some baselining & basic upkeep & maintenance, get studded tires for this winter and then will be doing small mods here and there... Needs a hitch to tow a raft trailer...

Hopefully picture shows, I'm behind work firewall that blocks it.

Cheers!

581 - 600 of 611 Posts