SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have owned this Volvo for about 2 years now. I only began to drive it this past summer starting in June. The car was purchased from a pick and pull with a salvage title. It has many, many issues.

Physical transmission/engine problems:
-ETM issues, engine dies while driving in the city, the vehicle sometimes doesn't start without pressing the gas pedal, random acceleration, etc.
-this morning the car did not start at all, haven't tried to since then.
- there is a transmission leak which we have yet to find and causes smoke/steam to form under the car while driving
- while accelerating to merge onto the freeway, the engine works exceptionally well, how ever, it seems to have a hard time shifting into the next gear, usually letting go of the gas deal a little bit allows it to shift.

Interior/exterior body issues:
- back hatch door rattles, does not stay open on its own
- lots of shaking and rattling in the cabin while driving 70+ on the freeway
- the dash rattles over bumps on the road, more of a clicking noise
- the drivers window dies not go up or down, has no power at all.
- lots of shaking on the steering wheel as well whenever there are etm issues
- shaking throughout the entire car when the engine is close to turning off because of the etm issues.

My father is an experienced mechanic who has been working at ups for 35+ years, he can help me with whatever repairs I need, once we know what we need to do. This is my first car, and I am a new driver.

- Is it worth it to fix the car up based on how many miles it has? Or should I just purchase a different used car?
- We have already put $1,500 into it for repairs, which was about the same amount of money we originally purchased it for. Again,mare necessary repairs worth the money?

Any comments/help would be GREATLY appreciated since this is the car that I drive almost every single day to work. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
The car is worth nothing with a salvage title.

Are you sure the transmission is leaking? I think it's more likely that the turbo is.

I honestly wouldn't put any money into the car. Look around and you can find a much better car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I agree
You can buy one for $1000 with 150K miles that needs MUCH less work
Part out what's sellable and move on, this one's not worth any effort whatsoever

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, what would you guys recommend me buying for that kind of money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Just keep an eye on the classifieds on SS and VS, as well as Craigslist.

Just how well do you know Volvos? If you want a Gen 1, you may want to review the stickies up on top of this forum.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
agreed, run, run away fast. You shouldn't have bought it, nor put $1500 into it!

Honestly here, what are you looking for in a car? Reliability, cheap, fast, safe?

Heck, you can go buy a nice used corolla LE for 3-4grand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts