SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post on the new board- recently bought an 2009 xc90 with 54k on it CPO to 100k, every record and every service by dealer on of before needed. looks like some significant varnish on the oil dipstick. Tried to rub off with towel. Do not remember the same on my v70 and s60 when I bought them used.

Common on the 3.2 as well? Or cause for concern?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hi all,

First post on the new board- recently bought an 2009 xc90 with 54k on it CPO to 100k, every record and every service by dealer on of before needed. looks like some significant varnish on the oil dipstick. Tried to rub off with towel. Do not remember the same on my v70 and s60 when I bought them used.

Common on the 3.2 as well? Or cause for concern?
My 2.5T XC90's dipstick is like new when I wipe the oil off. The oil looks brand new even at 5,000 miles. My wife's pristine 1998 V70XC has a varnish look on the dipstick, but it still runs great. No problems with her engine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Bought a 2005 2.5 XC70 with 65000 miles recently and it had the same issue on the ds. Motor runs great, now with Mobil-1 10W30 full synthetic oil, seems happy as a lark.
I think it may be because of the type of dino oil the dealer (or owner) was using. Some of that stuff has a lower boil-off temp, lower flash, etc., and although it lubricates well it may have distilled out more "patina" in the sump and on the dip stick. The underside of the filler cap was the same.

Get some acetone and clean it off if it bothers you, I think acetone is hot enough to cut through the varnish. I wouldn't lose any sleep.

best,

P

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. We bought the car from the dealer who sold it new. It had oil changes at ever recommended interval- once it went past 9k. The dealer (Keystone Volvo, Berwyn,PA) says they used only semi synthetic. This is our fifth Volvo - have never seen it before.

3.2, supposedly quality oil, recommended dealer service performed... Kind of makes me worry about engine internals.

Am I crazy? I thought the 3.2 was relatively easy on oil.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Keystone Berwyn is a great dealer.

But if you're going to follow Volvo's service intervals (7500 miles), do it with a full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
we bought our 2.5 with 22k and all records, and oil changes at the factory interval. it had varnish on the dipstick. i now change the oil with semi synthetic at the dealer every 3-4k miles and there is no varnish since i cleaned the dipstick with my finger nail and a paper towel about 40k miles ago.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
we bought our 2.5 with 22k and all records, and oil changes at the factory interval. it had varnish on the dipstick. i now change the oil with semi synthetic at the dealer every 3-4k miles and there is no varnish shince i cleaned the dipstick with my finger nail and a paper towel about 40k miles ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts