SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is Volvo #6 for me with 4 in my driveway currently. It’s a 2011 C70 with a High Performance Stereo. While it has a USB input and I can play downloaded music from a flash drive from that, I am wondering if I am able to connect an iPhone 7/8 direct to the stereo through the USB port as I have been unsuccessful so far. I hooked up a Grom unit in my XC70 and it works awesome, but am hoping that Volvo had solved the compatibility issue by 2011. Any/all insights are welcomed. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you refer to the owner's manual, I believe the USB/Ipod interface was an accessory for that year. Unfortunately, since the accessory has been discontinued, it is difficult to get information on it. Hopefully you have it in your model, try according to the instructions to see if you can get it working.

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/OwnersManual/om_id/276

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was able to source the factory interface, any insights as to whether or not would this be compatible with newer iPhones OR would I need to source and aftermarket unit such as Grom to ensure compatibility? My understanding is that the Grom units for my MY 06 P1 were not that effective, so not sure about MY 11? Again, all insights are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have a MY10 and the USB works for my iPhone 10. It also worked with my iPhone 6s. Just put it on USB on the radio and then launch your Apple Music app. It will play. I also use the Maps feature while plugged in to get the turn by turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Hunter - that is a good sign. I am assuming that yours is the HP stereo and not the premium? As noted, mine will play downloaded music from a USB stick, but when I connect the iPhone to the USB port, it does not seem to recognize it and asks me to 'connect a device' or something similar. Perhaps the actual USB port is somewhat buggered, so I will look to source a replacement and swap it out. Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have the premium sound system. Not the dynamic one with subs and surround sound. Try another USB cable if it is not a Apple OEM one. It should work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought AUX cables to connect my i6, but found that the Bluetooth connectivity was great, and haven't used those cables yet! I'm sure the BT doesn't broadcast as high quality a signal as a wired direct connection, but I'm sure road noise obliterates any advantage. I've got an i7Plus now, and it works seamlessly as well. Haven't even attempted a USB/Flash Drive. You've prompted me to see if that works as well. I've seen posts regarding how to configure one's music collection for easy access and identification.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
951 Posts
I bought AUX cables to connect my i6, but found that the Bluetooth connectivity was great, and haven't used those cables yet!
EW, I don't think the BT works for anything other than the phone function for his MY (it doesn't on my '11 XC90). IIRC, that change was on MY 12.

BD

'98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Man am I so IT. When dman said HP, right away I thought computers and thought Hewlett-Packard. I said to myself that I didn’t know they were in the audio business. SMH.

Maybe in MY11 forward phones don’t work. I have an idea. If the phone doesn’t work, then how about an iPod. That is my setup in both cars. My VR has a GROM. That would be a good way to check. I also use the BT to connect the phone in both cars to stream music.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah no, in this case HP Stereo = High Performance, which is a step down from the premium system. I have ordered a new USB port and will install to see if that corrects things and may then explore aftermarket options and will also try different cables. As noted above, I installed a GROM in my XC70 and the BT and port both work excellent, so could definitely go that way. I could live without BT music, but would love to have hard integration through the port to my iPhone music if possible. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
951 Posts
I also use the BT to connect the phone in both cars to stream music.
Wait, you can stream via BT in your C70, Hunter? Interesting. I don't know why they would do this, but maybe the BT function in the '11 XC90 is different than the '11 (or '10 in your case) C70. I have no problem streaming on my '13 but just assumed that was because they upgraded the BT across all platforms in '12. (My '08 doesn't have BT.)

BD

'98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
OOPS. Spoke too soon. I thought it worked but it doesn’t stream music over BT in the C70. With the GROM in the VR it does stream. If I plug the usb in the C70 I can control the music and the song info does display on the radio. That is a nice feature.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awaiting delivery of the new USB port which is definitely pooched and will update accordingly. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To update - new Volvo USB (PN#30775252) finally delivered and installed and lo and behold, the HP unit connects/recognizes an iPhone 8 as an 'iPod' and charges as well, so all is good in my tech world. Picked up a set of 18" Mirzams to be refinished and to replace the factory 17's, so life is pretty much grand right now. Stay tuned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts