SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

So we picked up our new MY13 XC60 on Saturday. Very excited. Pictures are in the camera, no time yet to post them. Will so soon.

I already have a few questions that I hope can be answered with the infinite wisdom of this forum :)

1. When I lock her with the remote, there is electric humming sound, for at least a few minutes after the car is locked. I can't figure out where exactly it is coming from, but it lasts long enough that I didnt have enough patience yet to stay in the garage to see how long it lasts. I am have a feeling it should not do it, but I am clueless at this point.

2. Windows sticker lists "Accessory prep cable". Dealer doesn't know what that is. I can't find it anywhere in the car. Any ideas?

3. Can't seem to program seat/mirrors settings in car memory or PCC remote. Enabled PCC memory in Sensus (per manual each remote has to be enabled via Sensus), but it didnt seem to make a difference. Need help figuring it out.

4. Tires. How do you like stock tires? I am in Chicago, and I want to figure out if I need winter tires for real winters.

Overall we are loving the car. Kids cant get enough of it and refuse to get out. :)

Cargo cover misteriously disappeared during dealer prep, so they now need to figure out what happened to it.

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
442 Posts
4. Tires. How do you like stock tires? I am in Chicago, and I want to figure out if I need winter tires for real winters.
What stock tires came delivered on it? (And did it come with the 18" wheels on your '13 T6?)

Can't speak to your winter question since I live in So. Miss., but my '12 T6 has 18" wheels and came with Michelin Latitude Tour HPs, and I can take' em or leave 'em, honestly. Plan to replace with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's when the rubber gets low. (Loved that tire on my previous '06 Acura TL...was a great combo of wet/dry handling and also quiet.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, first and foremost. As far as tires go, there is only one brand I would recommend and that is Nokian. They make excellent all-season tires and make the BEST winter tires. I currently live in Springfield, IL and previously lived in Saint Louis and Omaha, my winter experiences are at least close (and may be worse in some instances) to what Chicago normally gets. I've tried many different brands and tires but I'm 100% sold on Nokian at this point. They are exceedingly good for AWD vehicles.

Nokian makes three good tires that would fit your T6: WR-G2, eNTYRE, and HAKKAPELIITTA. The eNTYRE is a general all season, the WR-G2 is a severe weather all-season, and the HAKKAPELIITTA is a dedicated winter tire (and pretty much the diamond standard of winter tires). I've had WR tires before and they are excellent in all but the worst snow and ice.

Swedish vehicle, Finnish tires... can't go wrong! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Car came with 18" Michelins.
I used to put Bridgestone Blizzak on my old cars, all year round. Very happy with those tires. My DW was extremely happy with winter performance, and I could not tell they wore out much after almost 3 yrs on a car.

Can't find any dealer around me that sells NOKIAN tires and shows prices online. Will have to call around.

Anyone has any ideas for other questions I had?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2013 buzzes also. No big deal. When I mentioned it to the dealer he said its no big concern, just everything cooling off and electronics shutting down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures...

Here are some pictures. Right before I installed car seats, so you can't see rear seats anymore :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice looking ride. Congrats!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fellow Seashell T6 owner here says: I approve! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, first and foremost. As far as tires go, there is only one brand I would recommend and that is Nokian. They make excellent all-season tires and make the BEST winter tires. I currently live in Springfield, IL and previously lived in Saint Louis and Omaha, my winter experiences are at least close (and may be worse in some instances) to what Chicago normally gets. I've tried many different brands and tires but I'm 100% sold on Nokian at this point. They are exceedingly good for AWD vehicles.

Nokian makes three good tires that would fit your T6: WR-G2, eNTYRE, and HAKKAPELIITTA. The eNTYRE is a general all season, the WR-G2 is a severe weather all-season, and the HAKKAPELIITTA is a dedicated winter tire (and pretty much the diamond standard of winter tires). I've had WR tires before and they are excellent in all but the worst snow and ice.

Swedish vehicle, Finnish tires... can't go wrong! :D
I'll second that - I've got a set of 19" rims with the Hakkapelitta's on them. Stacked against a Canadian winter, they're an incredible tire - haven't lost traction, ever, even when starting from a dead stop on shear ice. I should give some credit to the Haldex system, but they work wonders together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What stock tires came delivered on it? (And did it come with the 18" wheels on your '13 T6?)
So I finally got around to look at the tires last night. Car came with "Michelin Latitude Tour HP".

Per tirerack results below, it seems to be a decent 3 season tire, but nothing to write home about in the winter.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP

For those with experience with NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA, anyone used them all year round, or am I better off with WR's? Winter performance is very important to me, as kids are moved around primarily in this car.

Thanks again

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here are some pictures. Right before I installed car seats, so you can't see rear seats anymore :)

We got that interior (leather) on our MY2012 OSD. We got the classic walnut as well. As far as the seat settings...Never could get the PCC programmed but it's no big deal since the side memory works well. Did you remember to hold the number (1,2, or 3) AND the M button at the same time? I programmed by settings using the 1 and the M button. My husband likes to juke around while he's driving, so doesn't want a setting. After he's been in, I get in and HOLD the #1 button down until my seat readjusts. It adjusts the side mirrors, too. You have to manually adjust the rear view mirror. Remember, hold the "M" button while you select your numbered button, then when you need to readjust, remember to HOLD the numbered button down UNTIL THE ADJUSTMENT IS COMPLETE. If you just press and release, it won't readjust.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We got that interior (leather) on our MY2012 OSD. We got the classic walnut as well. As far as the seat settings...Never could get the PCC programmed but it's no big deal since the side memory works well. Did you remember to hold the number (1,2, or 3) AND the M button at the same time? I programmed by settings using the 1 and the M button. My husband likes to juke around while he's driving, so doesn't want a setting. After he's been in, I get in and HOLD the #1 button down until my seat readjusts. It adjusts the side mirrors, too. You have to manually adjust the rear view mirror. Remember, hold the "M" button while you select your numbered button, then when you need to readjust, remember to HOLD the numbered button down UNTIL THE ADJUSTMENT IS COMPLETE. If you just press and release, it won't readjust.
I discovered this morning that PCC memory works. When I opened the door (with keys in my hand) i noticed that seat was moving. Totally freaked out my DW, as it took her 2 days to put seat exactly how she likes it. To make PCC memory work it needs to be enabled in Sensus.
Programming memory buttons on the seat still doesnt work. I will have to try to hold both buttons longer, even though owner's manual stated that both buttons have to be held "briefly".

Question about all weather mats: Are there any alternatives to OEM and Weather Tech mats?

·
Registered
256 Posts
For those with experience with NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA, anyone used them all year round, or am I better off with WR's? Winter performance is very important to me, as kids are moved around primarily in this car.

Thanks again
The Hakkapeliitta (in this case for our XC60 the Hakkapeliitta R SUV) is a dedicated winter tire. If you were to leave them on in the summer they would be worn down to nothing in no time at all. The softer rubber is not made to withstand heat. Nokian has a blurb in the FAQ about this on their website. On the other hand, the WRG2 and eNTYRE are all-season.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Question about all weather mats: Are there any alternatives to OEM and Weather Tech mats?
I know it was tacky, but we used GoodYear all-weather mats on top of the factory carpet mats. Easy to remove for cleaning or when you wanted the vehicle to have that 'factory' look. Didn't want just the WeatherTech pinned in place but wanted to protect the OEM mats. Of course, our weather down here is more about the once a month rain we get or just general dirt/dust...not so much three or four months of snow(thank goodness ;) ). WeatherTech has some generic material--custom cut all-weather stuff but I believe it's a bit spendy for what you get.

The GoodYear tan should match up pretty well. I'm actually waiting for samples from WeatherTech on their 'cheap but custom fit' styles to try for a match to our RDX off-brown carpet.

Enjoy the new ride...looks great!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know it was tacky, but we used GoodYear all-weather mats on top of the factory carpet mats. Easy to remove for cleaning or when you wanted the vehicle to have that 'factory' look. Didn't want just the WeatherTech pinned in place but wanted to protect the OEM mats. Of course, our weather down here is more about the once a month rain we get or just general dirt/dust...not so much three or four months of snow(thank goodness ;) ). WeatherTech has some generic material--custom cut all-weather stuff but I believe it's a bit spendy for what you get.

The GoodYear tan should match up pretty well. I'm actually waiting for samples from WeatherTech on their 'cheap but custom fit' styles to try for a match to our RDX off-brown carpet.

Enjoy the new ride...looks great!
I have the WeatherTechs...they're not "pinned down"...they have indents that fit directly over the factory mat hooks, so they stay in place but come right out for cleaning. I love 'em.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Can't speak to your winter question since I live in So. Miss., but my '12 T6 has 18" wheels and came with Michelin Latitude Tour HPs, and I can take' em or leave 'em, honestly. Plan to replace with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's when the rubber gets low. (Loved that tire on my previous '06 Acura TL...was a great combo of wet/dry handling and also quiet.)
I have an update to my previous post (above) re tires. Looks like my much-loved Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's that I had on my Acura TL are more of a sport sedan tire...not so much for a CUV. However, looks like the reviews are good for the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 more suited to our XC60's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all the replies.

I will take a look at Goodyear mats as well.

As far as tires go, I have narrowed my choices to the following 3 at this point (not in order of preference):
1. Yokohana Prada Spec X
2. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (used these before, loved them. All year round, while this is the only winter tire on the list)
3. Nokian WR G2.

Yokohama and Brigdgestone are identical in price. Nokian is significantly more expensive on tirebyweb.com Performance if 1 and 2 is very similar based on tirerack numbers. I cannot find any even semi-scientific research on Nokian. Those reviews I have seen are mostly positive, if not raving.

I am just too uncomfortable with stock Michelin tires' winter performance for what Chicago winter can bring us. Need to have this resolved before the end of October :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have the WeatherTechs...they're not "pinned down"...they have indents that fit directly over the factory mat hooks, so they stay in place but come right out for cleaning. I love 'em.
I truly like the WeatherTech products for certain applications. The neighbor across the street(GIANT Schnauzer and two messy kids) loves to be able to 'hose off' the liner in the back of his F150. ;) I just prefer a bit of cushion, especially under the heel of my shoe. We're dusty here in central Texas...not so much 'wet' to deal with. As such, I've embarrassed the interior of my XC60 for three+ years with the GoodYear/Kraco mats shown at this link. http://www.target.com/p/kraco-4-pc-black-multi-season-automotive-floor-mats/-/A-12834957 The tan matched almost perfectly to the sandstone/tan/beige interior of our '10 XC. No such luck in the RDX so far. Still waiting for AutoSport to send samples of a couple of colors/materials. It didn't hurt that the 'Target' mats were <$25. Pretty good fit for the XC, also. Different story in the C70.

It's amazing what we get 'hooked' on...I was obsessing over 'coco' mats for my TR-6 back in the mid-seventies! :) I see they are available once again.http://www.autosportcatalog.com/carpeted-mats/coco-mats.cfm

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I am just too uncomfortable with stock Michelin tires' winter performance for what Chicago winter can bring us. Need to have this resolved before the end of October :)
Come on down to Austin! While you folks have two seasons...winter and the 4th of July; 'we' have two seasons also...summer and Valentine's Day! :) Three days over 100 degrees last week. Forecast for first day of autumn...92 degrees...PERFECT!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts