SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New member, bought my first Volvo in September. I've put 3400 miles on it so far and really enjoy the car (coming from a 2008 Subaru Forester)- black interior, black exterior. When I started looking, Volvo wasn't even on my radar. I saw an S60 at a dealership, took a look and really was surprised at the exterior appearance and comfort of the interior. Researched, test drove, walked out on a Cadillac dealer that played games... Did a head to head of the T5 and T6 engines. The T6 had a lot more oomph at the low end, thanks to the supercharger; I was hooked. If anyone else is looking at the car, and T6 especially, I'd be happy to give a more in-depth impression.

A few likes:
acceleration- very strong, particularly in Sport mode. There is a bit of torque steer, but only coming from a dead stop. This is not a factor in 99.9% of daily driving.
transmission- very smooth, often the only indication of a gear change is a change in engine sound (if not looking at the gauges of course)
quiet- I don't have much basis for comparison to other similar cars, but the Volvo is an order of magnitude quieter than my old car
interior- comfortable, sport leather feels and looks great with the contrast stitching; love the controls electronics
mileage- in eco+ mode and not going over 72 MPH, I can hit 31.5-32 MPG for an entire tank (80% highway driving). That's outstanding for a 300+ HP car.

A few nitpicks:
passenger side windshield wiper- outside half sits above line of hood; disrupts an otherwise clean look
drivers side wiper- when you raise it to clean the glass or clear snow, the arm contacts the hood at a fairly low height. Scratches paint. Bad design IMO.
remote start- wish there was a software workaround so the car wouldn't shut off when you open the door

Overall, I'm really pleased with the car. It's a very enjoyable daily driver that is comfortable, has a great stereo, and loaded with safety features. I feel there is a lot of value for what you pay. When my wife is ready to swap out the Honda Pilot in another 5-6 years, the XC90 will be a very strong contender based on my experience with the S60.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The wipers can be put into service mode by holding the wiper stalk in the up position right before startig the car. It doesnt help with snow clearing, but does help when cleaning glass or changing blades.

·
Super Moderator
39,274 Posts
Where is BmoPete to read about the engine noise? :p

·
Registered
989 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to Swedespeed!

Post up some pics, it's a rule... :)

Here's to many miles of happy motoring. Enjoy the turbo!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats! I got my 2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum back in February and just passed the 10k mile mark. Mine is Caspian Blue Metallic (dark blue) with Beechwood Brown & Off-Black Sport Leather. It has BLIS, Heated Front Seats and the 19" BOR Alloy Wheels. You mention quietness as one of your likes on your T6, do you have the standard 18" wheels or the optional 19"? I don't mind the firm ride with my 19s and they look great, but they are pretty noisy, especially on less-than-perfect pavement.

I had a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT before the S60 and it has 20" wheels and tires, so the 19s on the S60 aren't any worse than those....and the Harmon Kardon stereo has no problem masking any road noise that I may encounter.

I disable the Auto Stop/Start each time I start the car (it really annoys me) and I don't use the ECO button, but I still get 32-33mpg on the highway @ 75-80mph! I average 27-28mpg overall, which is a huge improvement over my CX-9. The best it I ever managed on the highwya with it was 21mpg and my average was just under 18mpg overall.

I'm very pleased with my T6 so far! I leased it for 36 months and I'm not sure what I'll end up doing at the end of my lease. If I don't buy my S60 T6, I'll probably buy a slightly used V60 T6 R-Design, which wasn't on my radar when I got my S60....it's an awesome car, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts