SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and ladies),

Mobil just came out with new formula for their Mobil 1 along with a new viscosity...0W-40...Do you think that such oil would not be appropriate for a tuned turbocharged Volvo? I think the "40" weight would be very good (for the extra heat) but what about the thinness of such oil, at "O" when cold...?

Yannis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yannis,

I use the specified 10W-30 Mobil 1 in my S70 GLT as I just didn't want to chance anything during the warranty. However, my wife's Caravan uses 5W-30 as per the book so I have wondered if there would be any problem in using the 5W vs. the 10W. So I too am interested in what comes out here on this.

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Hey guys (and ladies),

Mobil just came out with new formula for their Mobil 1 along with a new viscosity...0W-40...Do you think that such oil would not be appropriate for a tuned turbocharged Volvo? I think the "40" weight would be very good (for the extra heat) but what about the thinness of such oil, at "O" when cold...?

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
There was a big brouhaha over on VwVortex about the Mobil 1 change from SJ to SL; apparently the SL was more volatile and a lot of the VW fans were very upset. After reading that today, I went to my local Costco and bought 7 more cases of the SJ 10-30 (at $22 each). I should be set for a while. I was going to post that over at VWVortex, but I forgot my password.

Yannis, the 0-40 should be fine; it just runs thinner at cold temperatures and acts as a 40-weight at high temps.

Anyway, if you want the old formula, go to Costco, but it looks like they're trying to get rid of it--it's stacked on the end aisle just before you get to the meat section.

Burbank Costco, if anyone really wants to know which one. . . .

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by T5 Dave:
There was a big brouhaha over on VwVortex about the Mobil 1 change from SJ to SL; apparently the SL was more volatile and a lot of the VW fans were very upset. After reading that today, I went to my local Costco and bought 7 more cases of the SJ 10-30 (at $22 each). I should be set for a while. I was going to post that over at VWVortex, but I forgot my password.

Yannis, the 0-40 should be fine; it just runs thinner at cold temperatures and acts as a 40-weight at high temps.

Anyway, if you want the old formula, go to Costco, but it looks like they're trying to get rid of it--it's stacked on the end aisle just before you get to the meat section.

Burbank Costco, if anyone really wants to know which one. . . .
Dave,

thanks for the reply. You mentioned that the new Mobil1 with the "SL" rating is more..."volatile"...what do you mean by that?

I tend to think that 0W-40 SHOULD (that's the key word) be OK for the increased needs of my engine (generating more heat because of the ECU upgrade). I just never used any oil that was 0W weight. I understand that it is for the colder temps (the "0" that is) but I just don't know if it is too thin, overall.

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
quote:

Dave,

thanks for the reply. You mentioned that the new Mobil1 with the "SL" rating is more..."volatile"...what do you mean by that?

I tend to think that 0W-40 SHOULD (that's the key word) be OK for the increased needs of my engine (generating more heat because of the ECU upgrade). I just never used any oil that was 0W weight. I understand that it is for the colder temps (the "0" that is) but I just don't know if it is too thin, overall.

Yannis

Yannis, apparently the new SL formula loses some of the lighter molecules at lower temperatures than the SJ, meanining, at the high temps around the turbo, there will be some oil weight loss as the oil vaporizes. It really upset the guys on the VWVortex site for some reason.

The oil rating numbers refer to the low and high temperature ratings of the oil, so the 0-40 means it behaves like a zero-weight oil at low temperatures and then like a 40-weight oil at high temps. So when the turbo and engine are hot, the 0-40 will behave the same as a 10-40. The only difference is that the 0 will flow better at very cold temperatures than the 10-weight.

The 0-40 would be ideal where you start the car on a very cold night and then drive down to the desert for a high speed romp. Unless you live in the arctic circle, chances are you really don't need the zero-weight oil for startup, the 10 weight would be just fine.
It all depends on how cold the engine could possibly get on the coldest day of the year. If it gets down to -40, use the 0 weight!!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote:

Yannis, apparently the new SL formula loses some of the lighter molecules at lower temperatures than the SJ, meanining, at the high temps around the turbo, there will be some oil weight loss as the oil vaporizes. It really upset the guys on the VWVortex site for some reason.

The oil rating numbers refer to the low and high temperature ratings of the oil, so the 0-40 means it behaves like a zero-weight oil at low temperatures and then like a 40-weight oil at high temps. So when the turbo and engine are hot, the 0-40 will behave the same as a 10-40. The only difference is that the 0 will flow better at very cold temperatures than the 10-weight.

The 0-40 would be ideal where you start the car on a very cold night and then drive down to the desert for a high speed romp. Unless you live in the arctic circle, chances are you really don't need the zero-weight oil for startup, the 10 weight would be just fine.
It all depends on how cold the engine could possibly get on the coldest day of the year. If it gets down to -40, use the 0 weight!!
Dave,

thanks. Yeah, I understand all that, it's just that, psychologically, I have a hard time accepting a "0" oil...But if it's easier finding it than the 10W-40 (which I would ideally like to use) then I might have to consider it. But this "SL" formulation also bothers me a bit...Not used to having to add oil if it is burned. The question is how much more would an "SL" oil get burned, beyond what is normally burned anyway...

Yannis

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use a 0W-30 (Amsoil Series 2000) and run it all the way to the 7500mile interval and it works great. The 0 is just for improved cold wx starting.

Sam

[This message has been edited by V70SAM (edited 04-30-2002).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
don't use the 0W-40; the manufacturers recommend a weight of oil because that is what the engine is designed to run on. You will not see any advantage with this weight of oil except a tiny ammount of cashed saved on start up but your engine bearings will suffer whilst car is warming up.
They don't just reccomend weights for the fun of it!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by TFIVEUK:
don't use the 0W-40; the manufacturers recommend a weight of oil because that is what the engine is designed to run on. You will not see any advantage with this weight of oil except a tiny ammount of cashed saved on start up but your engine bearings will suffer whilst car is warming up.
They don't just reccomend weights for the fun of it!

After a lor of research that I have done, talked to a lot of people and combined with what I have learned over the ast 7+ years, I would concur with Fraser and will stay away from 0W oil. I will most likely go with AMSOIL's 10W-40 (easiest to find in that viscosity range) or Mobil1 15W-50 (kind of doubt it, too heavy and I do not take my car on the race track, at least not yet!)...

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
quote:

After a lor of research that I have done, talked to a lot of people and combined with what I have learned over the ast 7+ years, I would concur with Fraser and will stay away from 0W oil. I will most likely go with AMSOIL's 10W-40 (easiest to find in that viscosity range) or Mobil1 15W-50 (kind of doubt it, too heavy and I do not take my car on the race track, at least not yet!)...

Yannis

Yannis, the thicker oil will reduce your gas mileage a bit; I experienced that on my '91 T-bird when I switched to the 20W-50. Note the 0-40 or 15W-50 don't have the "energy conserving" tag on them.

The Mobil 1 or Amsoil 10W-30 should be just fine--why the need to go to the heftier weight?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:

Yannis

Yannis, the thicker oil will reduce your gas mileage a bit; I experienced that on my '91 T-bird when I switched to the 20W-50. Note the 0-40 or 15W-50 don't have the "energy conserving" tag on them.

The Mobil 1 or Amsoil 10W-30 should be just fine--why the need to go to the heftier weight?
Hi Dave,

I agree with you all the way. I, normally, would be satisfied with either 5W-30 or 10W-30 (what I had been using up to the time I upgraded my ECU).

But the owner of TME put a real scare into me when I asked him a couple of things about the upgrade. The main thing that he cautioned me was to switch to a "heavier" oil since the upgraded ECU will add stress to my engine and/or generate more heat due to the increased amount of power generated. So, ever since the upgrade, I have been looking around like a maniac for the "perfect" viscosity. He told me that I should get "at least" a 10W-50 or 15W-50 (the preferred viscosity of most tuned Volvos in Sweden--kinda surprising with the winters they usually have there)...15W-50 is almost out of the question mainly for the reasons you mentioned. I do not really race the car so I think 10W-40 would be a good compromise. This has been the only "negative" aspect of the ECU upgrade, for me; the quest for the "perfect" viscosity.

He also, strongly (to put it mildly), urged me to get the sport exhaust in order to avoid (his quote) "damaging my turbocharger". I don't know about that, at my stage...Perhaps if I had Kai's upgrades, yes, I would need one...I still plan to get one but not to avoid damaging my turbocharger.

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
The guys over on the VWvortex forums are pretty passionate about this subject. A few key suggestions, other than the Amsoil, is Mobil Delvac 1, which was originally made for diesels but apparently works great in gas motors, too.

One fellow suggested http://www.motor-oil-bible.com/index-test2.html But I haven't ordered this because I just found out about it. He does have a double-money back guarantee, so you can give it a try, if you're daring.

On the exhaust, I believe the problem is turbo over-temp if you run at full boost for long periods of time. as the turbine runs hotter, it will 'creep' and eventually the turbine blades will impact the housing (& make a lot of noise as it flies apart.) So as long as you use the boost sporadically, you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
quote:

The guys over on the VWvortex forums are pretty passionate about this subject. A few key suggestions, other than the Amsoil, is Mobil Delvac 1, which was originally made for diesels but apparently works great in gas motors, too.

One fellow suggested http://www.motor-oil-bible.com/index-test2.html But I haven't ordered this because I just found out about it. He does have a double-money back guarantee, so you can give it a try, if you're daring.

On the exhaust, I believe the problem is turbo over-temp if you run at full boost for long periods of time. as the turbine runs hotter, it will 'creep' and eventually the turbine blades will impact the housing (& make a lot of noise as it flies apart.) So as long as you use the boost sporadically, you should be fine.
There is no way that I would put the Delvac in my car! LOL...Perhaps I could experiment on someone else's car!

As far as the "Oil Bible", I ordered that may months ago...It's OK...good info but I must say that 95% of the material I have known for years. It has a lot of scientific quotes, studies and good facts. I don't feel like I wasted my money since it was pretty inexpensive.

As far as boost, I try to limit full throttle run to under 15 seconds and then give it a break for about 30 secs or so. That, I am not concerned with. Anyway, until Mobil1 comes up with a 10W-40, I think I am going to have to resort to Amsoil or if I can get my hands on an oil like Valvoline or Pennzoil (I doubt I will find this viscosity in full synthetic) then I will get those. It's a shame...In Europe, you can find pretty much ANY viscosity pretty easily.

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yannis,

Hey, the product data sheet for the Delvac 1 says it's exceeds the API SJ service rating, so it would be just fine for your V70 and not void the warranty at all. It is a 5W-40 and the guys over on VWVortex running high boost in their 1.8T's praised it.

The data sheet even says it meets the Volvo VDS-2 spec (with VDS-3 in progress . . . )

The Mobil 1 with SuperSyn data sheet doesn't mention the distillation rate, but the Delvac claims less than 2% at 700 deg. F (371 C)

The Delvac 1 might be worth considering. . . .

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:

Yannis,

Hey, the product data sheet for the Delvac 1 says it's exceeds the API SJ service rating, so it would be just fine for your V70 and not void the warranty at all. It is a 5W-40 and the guys over on VWVortex running high boost in their 1.8T's praised it.

The data sheet even says it meets the Volvo VDS-2 spec (with VDS-3 in progress . . . )

The Mobil 1 with SuperSyn data sheet doesn't mention the distillation rate, but the Delvac claims less than 2% at 700 deg. F (371 C)

The Delvac 1 might be worth considering. . . .
You are kidding me! And Delvac 1 is a SYNTHETIC oil? Now you are giving me something else to look after...

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
quote:

You are kidding me! And Delvac 1 is a SYNTHETIC oil? Now you are giving me something else to look after...

Yannis

Well, they say it is. See https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/60d8a76e857b7e71852567b60072913a?OpenDocument

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:

Well, they say it is. See https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/60d8a76e857b7e71852567b60072913a?OpenDocument

Good luck.
Got it. I also found a detailed report at:
www.imperialoil.com/pdf/delvac1.pdf

I understand that they say it can be used on gasoline powered engines but most of the testimonials are on turbodiesels. So, I am not sure if an oil formulated for diesels will be adequate for a turbo gas engine. Too bad, as the 5W-40 weight would make it ideal!

Yannis

·
Registered
300 Posts
quote:

Got it. I also found a detailed report at:
www.imperialoil.com/pdf/delvac1.pdf

I understand that they say it can be used on gasoline powered engines but most of the testimonials are on turbodiesels. So, I am not sure if an oil formulated for diesels will be adequate for a turbo gas engine. Too bad, as the 5W-40 weight would make it ideal!

Yannis

Yannis,

The data sheet specifically says the oil exceeds the requirements for API SJ. As long as that label is on the can you're good to go. Even Mobil recommends it for 'gasoline powered fleet vehicles.'

And it's available here without having to go to the Porsche dealer for the 0W-40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
quote:

Hey guys (and ladies),

Yannis

0W is NOT the same as SAE 0 oil, if there is such a thing. Any oil viscosity with the "W" attached signifies that it complies with the viscosity in a cold cranking simulator. 0W passes the cold cranking test at -35°C. 5W passes at -30°C, 10W passes the test at -25°C, 15W @ -20°C, & 20W @ -15°C.

Oil viscosities without the "W" are tested at 100°C. The measured viscosity has to be within a specified range to get the specified SAE wt.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts