SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The S, CL, and possibly SL 600 models will come with a 5.5l biturbo V12 kicking out 500hp and 800nm (590lb/ft) of torque. 0-60 for the CL is estimated at 4.7 seconds, and the S class is estimated to do the sprint in 4.8. Not too bad for 4500-4700lb cars. This same engine will be powering the 6000-plus pound Maybach 57 and 62 models, tuned to ~575hp and most likely more torque as well.<P>The S, CL, and of course SL will all be offered with the AMG 5.5l supercharged V8 as well, which also is said to produce 500hp. Torque is "only" 700nm, though the SL 55 AMG is still being called the fastest production Mercedes ever. This is most likely a result of the weight difference. A tweaked version of this engine will be powering the upcoming Vision SLR which is a joint venture between Mercedes and McLaren. Pricing for the SLR is estimated to near 800000 USD with only 500 examples being made per year. The SL 55 AMG provides a "cheap" alternative to the SLR, with many of the same features and design cues, as well as the same powerplant for considerably less money (MSRP begins at 114500 USD). <P>The 3.2l V6 offered in many Mercedes models outside of the USA and the ML, CLK, E, and C-class is being enlarged to 3.7l and 245hp (from 215) to power the new S 350. No official word on whether or not this engine will find its way into other V6 Mercedes models or not, but it does seem likely with the phasing out of the 4.3l V8 and the availability of the 5.0l V8 in the ML, CLK, and E class.<P>I would have pictures to post of these, but the only decent ones I have found were either on paysites or copyrighted. Supercars.net has information on the new CL600, and Mercedes-Benz's official US website has information on the SL 55 AMG (mbusa.com).<p>[This message has been edited by onikage (edited 09-04-2002).]

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I happened to have the Taiwanese Car&Driver magazine which has the picture of this. I will try to scan the pics.<P>Supposedly, this setup will be realized in 2005.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts