SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all - I'm picking up an '05 S40 T5 6-Speed in need of some work tomorrow night so I'll be frequenting the site in the coming months.

Has 183,000km (I'm in Canada) in great condition and has extensive maintenance records. I'm buying it from a Volvo tech who I'm guessing got it at wholesale as a trade-in and doesn't actually want to do any of the work. $4000 doesn't seem too bad for what I'm getting.

From what I can gather, it needs a timing belt (no documentation of it ever being done) and a passenger side engine mount (horrible knocking on even the lightest acceleration, but nothing really when going over bumps in the road. The rest of the car is very smooth). Perhaps there's other suspension components in addition to that needing replacement but the Carfax shows pretty much all of it being replaced in late 2019.

My '09 TSX 6-Speed has been awesome but I've always been infatuated with Volvo and its sleeper status, and the AWD will definitely help with Alberta winters.

Any pointers would be helpful as I've only been watching a handful of videos just figuring out common issues and they seem pretty straightforward. I'm blown away by how quickly the timing belt can be done. Book time for that is almost half what it was for my civic (I plan on doing it myself, but I use that as a reference).

Here's the ad while it's still up:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the car home today; definitely needs more than just the engine mount. Maintenance work shows the wheel bearings and lower control arms were replaced in 2019 at about 175,000km which would lead me to believe that those are not the issue. The tech I bought it from says he did the passenger side one himself. I believe that one is the issue. He looks to be my age (I'm 20) so I'm guessing he's either an apprentice who has no idea what he's doing or just has no idea what he's doing. I'll take a closer look this weekend and hopefully it'll be a decent driver. Here are some piss-poor pictures from my phone.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts