SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all
Finally made the purchase - Silver/Taupe 2002 V70 AWD with premium/family/euro roof rails/front fog lights. Really anxious to take delivery in June. Only one hiccup - dealer could not let me select the 17" wheel option. Told me that it was not available in Canada. He promised me that if he could swap my 16" with 17" he has on the lot, he will do so. Will keep you posted on when I take delivery.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I wonder if that'll be a Haldex car or a VC car?
George,

if it is a MY2002 V70AWD (and it has to be) then it will have the "VC" AWD sstem. Haldex will not be available till MY2003; in that Model Year, all Volvo AWDs will have Haldex and none "VC".

Yannis

·
Registered
66 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
George,

if it is a MY2002 V70AWD (and it has to be) then it will have the "VC" AWD sstem. Haldex will not be available till MY2003; in that Model Year, all Volvo AWDs will have Haldex and none "VC".

Yannis
Yet another reason why I went with the V70 T5 instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would love to waited until 2003 model but no luck with the wife. Need the space ASAP given our A4 was getting too small with our daugther. Is the VC system all that bad? What types of problems have people been experiencing?

quote:

Originally posted by daimoni:
Yet another reason why I went with the V70 T5 instead.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I answered your thread over in the V70 forum. I don't think it's all that much of a difference that you'll see. Follow tire recomendations closely (i.e. replacement criteria).

Otherwise, the only main difference is that Haldex is more technologically advanced. In real world non competitive applications, you may not notice a difference at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - I think I will go with the any 17" given the current's 16" (Orbit) does not look great in my opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Sounds like a sweet car. Will you be doing the Thors or a different set of wheels?

June huh? I wonder if that'll be a Haldex car or a VC car?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi. Congrats, and welcome! I've got a quick tidbit of advice that may be a bit pre-mature, seeing as how you don't get your car till June, and snowy weather won't be around for a good 4 or 5 months. I'll share it with you anyway, since I won't remember by then!

You mentioned a kiddo riding in the rear, and I have one, too. Assuming your kid is still kind of young, want a tip for keeping those nice leather seats "nice" in the winter months? Buy a big-honkin' vinyl bib in the baby section of any store (K-Mart, Target, or whatever you have in Montreal that sells baby gear). I got one for around US$2 and it saved the backside of my beautiful graphite leather driver's seat!

You see, if your kid is small enough, her feet still stick straight off the front of her car/booster seat, and sometimes they get in close proximity with the back side of the front seat (especially when tempers flare). They salt the roads here, and the thought of salty, mucky, muddy toddler shoes smearing goop on the seatback irked me to no end.

I got a clear vinyl bib (so it's easier on the eye than, say, a bright, opaque white one or something!) with a little cartoon character on it. The only one big enough to really do the trick was one of those over-the-shoulders HUGE kiddie/toddler bibs, probably 30-35 cm wide by maybe 40 cm tall. I snipped off the outer edge of the shoulders and trimmed the left & right sides down to where it is wide only where the shoes are, but tapers down at the top and at the bottom to tuck nicely/neatly into the map pocket on the back-side of my seat.

I did cut open the food-catcher pocket thing at the bottom edge of the bib to give it more length, and therefore, more holding/staying power down in the map pocket. I wrapped the around-the-neck ties (look like shoelaces) around each post of my headreast and clipped them super-short so that they don't look so unkempt (sticking out, you know). If you cinch them in tight enough, carefully, of course, you can't see them at all. And it came off with no problems (removed it last week now that snow is no longer in the forecast).

Wanna know what's COOL? If you rub it around a bit as you're putting it in place, it builds up static, and clings there by itself, conforming to the sculpted-inward part of your seat-back! If it gets a tad loose (like when your interior warms up on a sunny winter day), just rub it some more, and tuck the bottom down in the map pocket a little further.

Voila! A cheap, handy way to keep the back-side of my seat clean in the winter months! And an added bonus is that your kiddo thinks it's entirely for their entertainment. Every morning we greet the character and ask him how he's doing, what he did last night while we were inside the house and he was out here in the car, etc... Makes getting out the door with a grumpy, tired toddler just a bit easier...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. Thanks for the great tip. I never really thought about protecting the backside of my seat but it makes alot sense considering the age of my daughter (16 months). This is probably one of the best car care tip I have received in a long time. It sounds like you are well experienced in travelling with children. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes when I get the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Lisa62:
Hi. Congrats, and welcome! I've got a quick tidbit of advice that may be a bit pre-mature, seeing as how you don't get your car till June, and snowy weather won't be around for a good 4 or 5 months. I'll share it with you anyway, since I won't remember by then!

You mentioned a kiddo riding in the rear, and I have one, too. Assuming your kid is still kind of young, want a tip for keeping those nice leather seats "nice" in the winter months? Buy a big-honkin' vinyl bib in the baby section of any store (K-Mart, Target, or whatever you have in Montreal that sells baby gear). I got one for around US$2 and it saved the backside of my beautiful graphite leather driver's seat!

You see, if your kid is small enough, her feet still stick straight off the front of her car/booster seat, and sometimes they get in close proximity with the back side of the front seat (especially when tempers flare). They salt the roads here, and the thought of salty, mucky, muddy toddler shoes smearing goop on the seatback irked me to no end.

I got a clear vinyl bib (so it's easier on the eye than, say, a bright, opaque white one or something!) with a little cartoon character on it. The only one big enough to really do the trick was one of those over-the-shoulders HUGE kiddie/toddler bibs, probably 30-35 cm wide by maybe 40 cm tall. I snipped off the outer edge of the shoulders and trimmed the left & right sides down to where it is wide only where the shoes are, but tapers down at the top and at the bottom to tuck nicely/neatly into the map pocket on the back-side of my seat.

I did cut open the food-catcher pocket thing at the bottom edge of the bib to give it more length, and therefore, more holding/staying power down in the map pocket. I wrapped the around-the-neck ties (look like shoelaces) around each post of my headreast and clipped them super-short so that they don't look so unkempt (sticking out, you know). If you cinch them in tight enough, carefully, of course, you can't see them at all. And it came off with no problems (removed it last week now that snow is no longer in the forecast).

Wanna know what's COOL? If you rub it around a bit as you're putting it in place, it builds up static, and clings there by itself, conforming to the sculpted-inward part of your seat-back! If it gets a tad loose (like when your interior warms up on a sunny winter day), just rub it some more, and tuck the bottom down in the map pocket a little further.

Voila! A cheap, handy way to keep the back-side of my seat clean in the winter months! And an added bonus is that your kiddo thinks it's entirely for their entertainment. Every morning we greet the character and ask him how he's doing, what he did last night while we were inside the house and he was out here in the car, etc... Makes getting out the door with a grumpy, tired toddler just a bit easier...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Montreal:
Wow. Thanks for the great tip. I never really thought about protecting the backside of my seat but it makes alot sense considering the age of my daughter (16 months). This is probably one of the best car care tip I have received in a long time. It sounds like you are well experienced in travelling with children. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes when I get the car.

Wow, indeed! See what those looooooong Michigan winters will do to your brain? You have nothing else to do but...think!
Great (and very elaborate) tip!

Yannis

·
Registered
287 Posts
Since you liked that idea, I'll share just one more with you. I've only had my car for 5 weeks, and it has already come in handy (a pocket full of sand that conveniently emptied itself).

It's the Prince Lionheart (company that makes baby products) Seat Saver. It is meant to keep ice cream, grape jelly, or worse from getting down under your car seat, but really I think it could be double billed as a "leather-saver", since it keeps those sharp plastic edges at the bottom of your car seat from digging into the leather seat surface.

Here's a picture of it, as well as a description. They even show it on a Volvo seat, if I'm not mistaken!
http://www.princelionheart.com/travel4.html#SeatSaver

It's a thick (like 3 mm or more?) vinyl mat that goes under your car seat. It's about the thickness of "nice" mud/snow mats you'd put on the floor in the winter, if not thicker, but less "rubbery" feeling than those. It only stinks like vinyl for about a day.

The way they show it there in the picture it doesn't go over the edge of the seat where your kid's feet go, but mine hangs out over the end, which is good, because then those little toddler shoes rest on the mat, not the leather. Much easier to clean up! Because of the nice sculpted buckets in the rear of my S60, I did have to do a little trimming (with regular ol' kitchen scissors) where it necks down in the mid-section so that it goes inward where the seat has a hollowed-out area for your bum, you know.

They bill it as a seat-saver from the spilled-food aspect, and I agree, but I would say it's worth its weight in gold if it keeps the car seat from gouging out the leather seating surface! You've gotta figure that you're not going to have that car seat there forever, right? It was around US$12 or so, and I got it at a local "super-store" place called Meijer. I know Amazon.com/ToysRUs.com carry Prince Lionheart stuff, but I don't see this.

If you really want one and can't find one somewhere/somehow through the web or your local baby store, we could probably work something out. It supposedly comes in blue, grey, black, and tan, but I only saw tan and grey here. Their stuff if usually of pretty high quality, too...I have their car seat tote & stroller tote (for when you fly and check those two items through), and I have some of their stroller accessories.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Lisa is the volvo mom all us volvo lovin guys dream about

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
It's just nice to have a female or numerous females in a typically male type of hobby. Brings a little grounding and a different perspective to it all.

It also gives me a way to show my wife that I'm not just a wierd car guy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, well...I don't think I'm helping your cause any, the one where you're trying to show your wife that you're *not* just a weird car guy. In fact, my obsessing about my car is probably more of a nod toward the "crazy" side of the sanity meter than the "sane" side!

I think my neighbors are already referring to me as "that crazy lady who is freakish about keeping her wheels clean". I've already been outside 3 times in my first 5 weeks with my car to clean my wheels, in unseasonably frigid weather, I might add!

My hubby just rolls his eyes at me. My kiddo grabs her bubble-blower, is entertained by that for about a nanosecond, then wants to help me clean the car. I finally got a second (little) brush for her.

When we're done, she oohs and ahhs at how "pritty" and "shineee" they are, which makes it all worthwhile. Or was that the nieghbors? I forget. Ha ha. Seriously, I've had two neighbors that I haven't talked to all winter approach to me to say how much they like the new S60 in our driveway.

P.S. Hey, Yannis, as for the excuse for my "dementia" (ha ha) being this string of loooong Michigan winter weather...perhaps. More likely it's the string of lackluster vehicles I've driven since the mid-90s...vehicle after vehicle I've had that did not
a) exhibit passion,
b) show an ounce of style,
c) make me wanna get up and go drivin'!

I learned to drive on a '78 Volvo. Stick, of course. Liked it a lot, except for that heavy clutch. Then a show-condition white '73 SuperBeetle for a few years. Also a very spirited car. I read Hemmings Motor News and numerous aftermarket Bug catalogs and daydreamed about what I'd do some day "when I had money". (Funny, that day never came...ha ha.)

I graduated to a fantastic '84 Jetta in the early 90's -- the best seats I've ever had on any car. Period. Drove it cross-country, coast to coast, moving from college to internship/1st-job. Spend mucho hours in LA traffic. Vowed to never again have a stick...someday when I had money, you know. I'd buy a place with a barn, and have as many bugs and/or volvos as it could hold. I daydreamed aloud to friends in Cali about how my dream car, when I "made it" in the real (post-college) world, would be a white Volvo stationwagon. They laughed at me. I laughed inside, knowing that THEY'd be the ones asking ME to help them move, pick up that desk they wanted at the flea market, etc., all the while I'd be driving the dream machine on a daily basis. (You see how my "dementia" started in my youth? Tee hee...)

Then came 1st job, here in the land of the big 3. Due to union incidents, and desire to "comply" with what was expected of new-hires, I went "American". Got a 2-dr. Explorer Sport, with every box checked on the order form, you know.

Ended up disliking it immensely (talk about a departure from my lovely little euro boxes), and turned it in for a dirt cheap sedan lease. A 200 Hp sedan, 4-door, but what it lacked in style, I figure it made up for with practicality, especially since I knew scads o stuff about it (internals & chassis, thanks to job assignment).

As it turns out, knowing lots about a car doesn't make you LIKE it.
Dumped that for a ... Minivan. Ick. Total piece o crap. Thought it was a one-off, and opted for another revamped version of same a few years later. Double ick. Hated it. Counted the days & hours till I could return it. And did my reasearch the whole friggin' time...

Hence my jump (or my "return"?) to Volvo... I love my car. It's not the "fantasy white wagon" I dreamed of while in college, but it's close. And with that sporty coupe styling, it's even better than my dream car. Sure, it's not a Turbo, but maybe my next one will be... (Gotta have dreams, right?)

Till then, gonna love my S60...and hang out and watch what you guys are up to here at this board. I don't have time for any "real" hobbies or car projects, myself, being a wife/mom/engineer/etc.! I'll just live vicariously through you folks and all your mods/projects... What fun it is...

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
All that matters is that you have a volvo now!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Lisa62:
It's not the "fantasy white wagon" I dreamed of while in college, but it's close.
I will paint my wagon white, and trade you if you want

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I did the same jump to the darkside for a while. In highschool and college I had two VW Sciroccos, then went over to a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (at least it had the inch lift Up Country Kit on it). Since then I switched back adn went from a Jetta VR6 to an 850R and am now saving money for the house, so thus our 240 project car.

By next summer I'll be back in the nice car mode because we're going to be moving to the next level (kids) and I'll want us in something modern....thus probably an XC.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey, Montreal, I had just one more "tip" for you (and the rest of the parents out there), since you seem to be game! I keep a little goody box/bag in my car for my daughter. That way the car doesn't look like a play pen in the backseat, but it's not "uninviting" for my daughter, either. In fact, she loves her busy box.

I bought a cosmetic travel bag -- if you don't know what it is, ask your wife -- ha ha! You can get them at Target/K-mart/drug-store types of places for $6 to $8, usually waterproof, with sturdy zippered tops, about the size of a small loaf of bread. I got a black one (to blend in with my graphite interior, of course) with red zippers. I filled it up with stuff you can find at your local drug store or supermarket, and my toddler thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Some tips, in case you're looking to make up your own "busy-bag" for your young one...I'm sure it'd give you instant-hero status with your little one! Ha ha. (Where's a super-hero cape when you need one?)

- stickers - VERY good way to keep little hands busy and content if/when traffic is bad and you really need to pay attention! They don't damage the seats/clothing, either, if one gets dropped, assuming it doesn't "melt" there, I guess, on a hot summer day. Just replenish the supply when she runs out.

- a few cheap notepads - I have two shaped like fish, and one with multicolored pages, and one with elephants on the front, all from the local drug-store for about fifty cents. There's something about spiral-bound notebooks that kids find fascinating!

- 3 or 4 various pencils - Pencils are great because they don't leak ink, and nothing happens if they mark their clothing, arms, or your car's interior (vs. markers & crayons). Now, I don't put SHARP pencils in there...I rub them down till they're dull. I leave just enough lead there to color with, you know. I also shorten them down to about 4 or 5 inches long, for several reasons. Toddlers can't handle 9-10" long writing utensils, and I'm afraid she'd poke her eyes out, too. She'll busy herself for 10 minutes (!) just picking out which pencil she wants -- the feathered one, the smiley-face-eraser one, the Bob-the-Builder one, etc. You get the picture. All were under a buck, and well worth it! Besides, then each time you go on a trip, you can get her a new one. Almost every tourist trap sells pencils, right? Then SHE feels like she gets to pick what goes in the busy box, rather than having stuff forced on her!

- a few Sesame Street CDs, etc. for long car trips -- (Don't know about you guys, but hubby and I find Elmo's voice to be QUITE annoying. She loves him, though...)

- a "weekly" pill box with letters on the trap-door-lids - Now this might be controversial and possibly even unsafe, but it depends on your child's age and ability to understand that pillboxes (Gramp's & Gram's) should NOT be touched on a normal basis! My kiddo understands that this is hers, as well as the key point that pills are for adults only, not kids, and she's old enough to understand that she should never, ever touch adult pills. Assess your own comfort level and her understanding level before trying this! I put Jelly Bellies (jelly beans), cheerios, and/or tic tacs in each trap door, and replenish it once in a while. She practices identifying the letters on the lids ("An M, Mommy!"), and digs out the treats one at a time. If you're uncomfortable with the "pill-looking" candies and want to avoid any misunderstandings, you could try cheerios. There's just something cool about all those little trap doors hiding little edible treats. It's like an advent calendar or something...

- Matchbox cars - My kiddo stores her Mini Cooper, VW New Beetle, and a few other treasured matchbox cars in her busy bag. I suppose some safety advocates might shun this idea, since all objects become projectiles in an accident. Point taken. I keep them zipped up in the busy bag when they're not being played with.

Improvise. You know what your kid will like. Since your kid is still in the choking-hazard age, you may want to tailor her busy-bag stuff to include only non-choking hazards. Just my two cents, for what it's worth. I promise that's all I have to say...no more...I'll quiet down now! I was just so excited about sharing my parent-oriented tips!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
WOW Lisa!!! You are the mother of all...creativity!
Seriously....pretty neat ideas! I just have to disagree with stickers. I am so anal about my car (it is one of the FEW areas where my wife and I think very differently) and I have seen what has become of the two Volvos that my best friend has...STICKY CARS! No way Jose!

Thank God my son (19 months old) loves books...he is just mesmerized by books. But a month ago we kind of used your suggestion and started using a "play bag"...before that, the rear part of the car resembled a mobile boosktore with a few toys strewn along!

Why did you have to mention MATCHBOXES? My absolute favorites when I was little. I still have my MATCHBOXES, back from the '60s...[sigh]. Soon, my soon will inherit them...he will probably be wondering "Dad, why are these cars so weird looking"...My answer: "Because these models are 30+ years old and you can only see them in...museums!" Hahaha!

I totally understand your...vehicular "evolution"! I started driving my father's car, a 1978 SEAT 127CL. It had a whopping 32HP 905cc (yes, cubic centimeters...in other words, "zero-point-nine of a liter"!!!Hahahahahahaha!). Beautiful little FWD car, very driveable and pretty...punchy for its puny 905cc engine! Until I rolled it a couple of times (of course I was not wearing a seatbelt, what a joke, it was not cool back then!) and lived to tell about it. I ended up upside down, had to smash a window and with the help of a friend I rolled it back onto its 4 wheels! After that accident, and when my father built back his trust in me (poor guy), I started driving the next car...a 1980 Autobianchi A112 Abarth...1.3L engine generating a HUGE 75HP...Boy was that car fun or what? A screamer! I still remember killing tons of Golf GTIs at stoplights and also giving the Scirocco GTIs and Lancia Betas a run for their money! Then, I half-bought (with my cousin) a 1980 Fiat x1/9. Neato car! Amazing I never got killed with that car. But this car is still alive today, in Greece! I still drive it when I go back. Then I came to the States to become more educated (ha!). Did not own a car until my last year of Graduate school when I bought a...1981 Pinto! What a POS! Anyway, I had bought it for $1,200 from a Toyota dealer and after 11 months and 16,000 miles I sold it to the janitor of my dorm floor for $1,500! (I guess I was drawn to...selling cars!). With my College Graduate certificate, I bought a 1989 Ford Escort GT, beautiful white...I loved that car! Drove 88,500 miles in 3 1/2 years and never gave me a single problem (other than a bad thermostat) but I am a stickler and very anal about maintenance. Sold it privately for $4,000 and bought a '93 Eagle Talon ES. Color? Of course...white! Hehehe! Drove that to death. Met my wife and we bought (along with owning the Talon) a Mazda Protege LX. Color? Of course white! Quick little bugger and we were going to keep it but we traded a '92 Subaru SVX! Our first automatic (all cars have been manuals up to this point), Blue Green Metallic and what a car! Pure luxury, immense power, weird looks and...AWD! Kept it for about a year and right before the warranty was to expire, I start hearing some funny noises so I sold it to a wholesaler. Got a Red '93 Ford Probe GT (very neat car, handled like a champ, very quick but horrible brakes). BTW, the Subie expired on the wholesaler's hands as he was driving it to his lot. Wasn't happy about it. Can't blame him. Kept the Probe for 6 months and then I started getting demos. So, sold the Probe (of course I was not gonna give up the Talon!) and after a few months my wife gets pregnant! Naturally, she does not want to give up the sporty Talon but when she reaches the 7th month of pregnancy, she needs help to get out of that car! Plus we had a pretty sizeable Doberman! Hehehe! What a sight! So, we got a pretty Black '98 V70R with only 12,000 miles on it. Brought the baby back on this car, but it's an....automatic! The darn thing! What's wrong with this picture? So, I finally sell it privately for more than I bought it (it is neat working ina dealership, you buy wholesale, drive the cars for a while and then sell them for about what you paid or more!) and here we are...!

So, stick shift is embedded in us and i cannot see us ver going back to automatic. Unless all cars, in the future, get the paddle shifter found in F1 cars...hehehe

Yannis

1 - 20 of 29 Posts