SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase an S60 within the next 6 to 8 months and was looking for feedback on the car. Good, bad, isms etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'm assuming that you will be getting a '13 and not a '12. So far I am happy with both my '12 T6 R-Design and '13 T5 AWD and there are a lot of upgrades to the '13 models over the '11/'12 models. My only complaint with the '12 is the window trim on the inside of the front doors rattle from time to time, but not on my '13 going over the same roads; granted my '12 is an R-Design and has a thinner tire and stiffer suspension.

Pros
~MPGs are good
~Plenty of power in all trims
~Trim Packaging is better now (at least I think so)

Cons
~Some rattles
~SENSUS isn't easy at first but you get used to it (3.0 update helped a lot)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
How about checking back in 6 to 8 months when people have owned them for that long lol.
My brothers '12 T6 R-Design actually turned a year old today, lol! Only problem he had was with a bad headunit that gave him an issue the first 30 days of ownership, solid since!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've had mine since late October, 2011. No service issues at all, no rattles, no nothing. The seats are great, the engine close to ideal, the handing very good, and the fuel economy okay but not exceptional. There's criticism directed towards the six speed transmission and the smallish brakes, but I have personally never had any complaints about their performance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had my '12 T6 RD since November. No real problems with mine. The only rattling in mine is when the passenger seat belt hits the side of the car when I'm pulling into a parking lot. I think I might put some foam pad behind it at some point just to cushion it whenever it does hit. The tranny is fine with me...could use a little reprogramming to keep the car from looking for a gear at times, but it's usually my driving habits that cause those (rare) situations...and the '13s appearantly might have that issue taken care of anyways. As far as the brakes...I personally would have liked to have them a little firmer (my wife's C30 is quite firmer). My car stops just fine under hard brakes, but for the sportier model, I wouldn't expect such a squishy feel. The '13 RD has bigger brakes, but even those don't seem to make a huge difference from what I've read so far. I might end up doing some aftermarket rotors/pads/lines at some point, but I'm not too motivated yet. If you're just looking for a great daily driver, though, this car is great! It's a blast to drive and is very comfortable. I've driven a T5 FWD, T6 and a T6 RD. I will say that even though many people will say that they think there is no point to get a T6 over a T5, I would argue otherwise. The T6 is soooooooo smooth and had an excellent exhaust note. The power difference (to me at least) was very noticeable. Granted I was already driving my RD for several months when I test drove the T5, so there is some bias. But the T5 just did not have the same effortless drive as my car (or even the base T6). The T5 is a great engine and does get better MPG, though. Plenty of power and still quite smooth. However, if I was ever to get a T5, AWD would be a must. I experienced quite a bit of torque steer in the one I test drove...I think if I drove an AWD version of the T5, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

One other thing I love about my car is that it's still uncommon to see one. I live in South Florida where 3 Series and C-Class's are more common than Accords...Volvo is a nice change from the usual and doesn't carry that same pretentiousness as other Euro brands...much better value too.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
I have had a retired service loaner T5 for six months and it's been a great car. Car's in service date was a year ago and now has 12k on the clock - absolutely no problems. There is a lot of car in the base T5 or you can take it all the way up to a loaded R-Design for 18 grand more. I'm sure I would like the R-D more but the T5 works fine for me.

Good - Decent economy in the T5, quiet, decent handling, safe, comfortable.
No so good - No spare. If you do get a spare the trunk space is compromised somewhat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the site. We can help you better if you let us know which model you are looking and which engine (i.e T5 or T6). I´ve had my V60 T5 (euro spec T5 with the ecoboost 4 cylinder) for 3 weeks now, and so far, I love it, not a single issue I could complain. The car is very very solid, engine is great though it has some turbo lag (more than the 5 cylinder T5´s, I can tell you because my previous Volvo was a T5 V50) but nothing bad. No rattles of any kind, comfortable ride. Absolutely LOVE the design.

·
Registered
169 Posts
2013 s60 fwd t5

I'm going to purchase an S60 within the next 6 to 8 months and was looking for feedback on the car. Good, bad, isms etc. Thanks.
I've had my 2013 S60 T5 FWD for 6 wks. and have put nearly 2,000 miles on it. Plenty of power, great handling and 30+ MPG on the highway at 65/70 MPH. Very comfortable front seats. No rattles.

I'm having a minor glitch locking the doors using the buttons on the front doors. I'll get that fixed soon. No other issues.

FYI, this model does not come with a spare tire. They give you an inflation kit. You have to buy a donut spare which is secured in the trunk taking up room in an already smallish trunk. I'm OK with it, but this may be a deal breaker for some.

All in all, I love this car!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input. So far I've only considered the base T5 with the some of the extra option (heated seats, homelink). JohnnyBFunk, I've noticed the same thing here in Vegas as well, not to many of them on the road and I like owning something different.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
FYI, this model does not come with a spare tire. They give you an inflation kit. You have to buy a donut spare which is secured in the trunk taking up room in an already smallish trunk. I'm OK with it, but this may be a deal breaker for some.

All in all, I love this car!!
I'm curious as to why Volvo didn't put runflat tires given no spare tire is included with the car...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'm curious as to why Volvo didn't put runflat tires given no spare tire is included with the car...
You then run the risk of a harsh ride from run flats; double edge sword, lol!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Yes, I've read so many horror stories about runflats that I think the less than optimal inflation kit solution is the lesser of two evils.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Run flats are expensive, give a harsh ride and make teh rims more likely to crack. For those of us who run separate winter tires, runflats present a significant extra expense, since winter run flats aint cheap.

It's one of the reasons I went with teh s60 instead of teh ATS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Run flats ran me away from BMW. And don't forget the noise factor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts