SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be pulling the trigger (I think) and picking up a 15.5 V60R in the coming days. Dealer was able to locate one out of province.

This car is a replacement for an s4 that was written off via insurance. I've been very impressed with the car on a few extended test drives.

One thing I did notice last night was the feel of some kind of drivetrain shudder under hard acceleration. I'm very familiar with AWD from the Quattro system as we still have lots in the family and we have a XC 70 as well but this felt a little different.

Is the system a Haldex? Perhaps that might have something to do with it. As I remember on some Audi track days lapping in TT S with a Haldex and maybe remember a similar feeling.

Anyone else notice this.

I don't keep cars stock and modify them tastefully and look forward to doing the same with this. I'm down to two cars in the search the other is a 335x M Performance edition. The R located has 19's on it but I would definitely go aftermarket as I don't particular care for the design. Hoping a set of BBS wheels will fit on there, most likely in 20's.

Seems like a good group and a pretty active board. I'm active on Quattroworld and Audizine for the past 10 years or so. We still own a 2010 XC70 and and 2015 Rs7 and a 2014 SQ5 which all have been modified in way or another.

Thanks in advance and will be active in here if I pull the trigger and go the R route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is Haldex, from what I recall reading, with some form of torque vectoring.

Keep in mind there will be a lot less selection on wheels and such with Volvo, though there are some decent aftermarket tuners and suppliers.

I found the stereos to be nearly impossible to upgrade other than at a really good shop for big $$$$, so if you're into that take it into consideration.

Our S60 RD hasn't displayed that shudder that we've noticed, but you may be more finely attuned to it coming from an Audi, which can be smoother in many aspects.

On a new car, there might also be some "learning" required by the transmission controllers to handle a sudden stomp for power.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Yes, the V60 and all current Volvos uses Haldex AWD (Gen V). Going up to 20's can cause some issues with the stock suspension(rubbing). My car, V60 Polestar came with stock 20's but has a different suspension. V60 have a weird wheel size, leading to fewer aftermarket choices. Chris, the head Mod here, did put 20's on his RD at one point and you can find the info here, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?220494-15-5-V60-R-Design-Swedespeed-Project-V60.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. Came across this picture of a v60 with aftermarket bbs.

Loving this look.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The stock 18" wheels on the V60CC are rather attractive.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. Came across this picture of a v60 with aftermarket bbs.

Loving this look.

This car has a full aftermarket quad exhaust on it as well and may be lowered.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Going to be pulling the trigger (I think) and picking up a 15.5 V60R in the coming days. Dealer was able to locate one out of province.

This car is a replacement for an s4 that was written off via insurance. I've been very impressed with the car on a few extended test drives.

One thing I did notice last night was the feel of some kind of drivetrain shudder under hard acceleration. I'm very familiar with AWD from the Quattro system as we still have lots in the family and we have a XC 70 as well but this felt a little different.

Is the system a Haldex? Perhaps that might have something to do with it. As I remember on some Audi track days lapping in TT S with a Haldex and maybe remember a similar feeling.

Anyone else notice this.

I don't keep cars stock and modify them tastefully and look forward to doing the same with this. I'm down to two cars in the search the other is a 335x M Performance edition. The R located has 19's on it but I would definitely go aftermarket as I don't particular care for the design. Hoping a set of BBS wheels will fit on there, most likely in 20's.

Seems like a good group and a pretty active board. I'm active on Quattroworld and Audizine for the past 10 years or so. We still own a 2010 XC70 and and 2015 Rs7 and a 2014 SQ5 which all have been modified in way or another.

Thanks in advance and will be active in here if I pull the trigger and go the R route.

Not sure how bad of a shudder you are experiencing.

There is a TJ for this where the fix is to install spacers at the rear-most carrier bearing to adjust the angle of the propshaft. The car to which I applied this TJ had a very noticeable vibration under hard acceleration from a stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep in mind this is a completely different setup than the torsen AWD system you are used to on the S4. It is front wheel biased (haldex) and the traction control cannot be fully defeated. If you plan on playing in the snow this car will give you some leeway but will cut in and ruin the fun. I did an ice driving school last winter in it, but had a lot more fun the previous winter in my old Trailblazer SS (I don't miss the reliability issues I had or poor fuel economy of the TBSS). There are also not a lot of performance aftermarket parts available (compared to an S4, but they seem to finally be coming). That being said, I do enjoy my S60 T6 and am happy with the purchase 95% of the time.

I don't have any vibrations under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep in mind this is a completely different setup than the torsen AWD system you are used to on the S4. It is front wheel biased (haldex) and the traction control cannot be fully defeated. If you plan on playing in the snow this car will give you some leeway but will cut in and ruin the fun. I did an ice driving school last winter in it, but had a lot more fun the previous winter in my old Trailblazer SS (I don't miss the reliability issues I had or poor fuel economy of the TBSS). There are also not a lot of performance aftermarket parts available (compared to an S4, but they seem to finally be coming). That being said, I do enjoy my S60 T6 and am happy with the purchase 95% of the time.

I don't have any vibrations under hard acceleration.
Thanks, I did not know that you can not fully defeat the traction control system. Our XC70 is like that and I HATE it. Its unacceptable that I can not turn off all of the system. Thanks for letting me know that, this is a car that I would think you would be able to do that. Sure I get the safety feature of most people having no clue/no want to drift or slide a car but I do.

Something for me to consider. I am between the R and the BMW 335x with the full M performance setup...

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I was shopping I thought I would end up with a 335x but after driving it back to back with the S60 I knew right away that the Volvo was the one for me. I can't stand BMW's heavy steering, cup holder and a few other not picky things.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Thanks, I did not know that you can not fully defeat the traction control system. Our XC70 is like that and I HATE it. Its unacceptable that I can not turn off all of the system. Thanks for letting me know that, this is a car that I would think you would be able to do that. Sure I get the safety feature of most people having no clue/no want to drift or slide a car but I do.

Something for me to consider. I am between the R and the BMW 335x with the full M performance setup...
The V60 is a great option as long as you don't want to get too heroic on the track / private roads. The V60 R-Design with AWD behaves unpredictably when you start to get it sideways. The torque vectoring can be too aggressive in DSTC Sport and will sometimes induce artificial oversteer, which is not pleasant when you combine it with the natural understeer you had to start compensating for before it kicks in. This is more true on a dry surface, and it will require you to "break stride" and come to a near stop to safely correct it. Also, the stability system will kick in if you remove your foot from the gas quickly, making some technical maneuvers feel very awkward and impossible to execute smoothly.

That and a whiny AC compressor are the only cons I would cite after almost 20 months and 25,000 miles with my car, and the handling isn't really an issue because the only reason I pushed it so hard in the first place was to see how it would do. In normal driving (or even very "enthusiastic" street driving) it's a wonderful car to drive every day, and I literally would not trade it for any other car currently on the market when keeping the same priorities I had when I bought it. Part of this is how uncommon it is, part of it is the compact wagon form factor, and a bigger part of it is how comfortable this car is compared to everything else I've sat in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I ended up buying a V60 just not a R. I found a T6 that I loved the look of. Actually much prefer it to the Black on Black R that was being sourced in Quebec for me.

Got an insane deal on it as they were super aggressive on it.

Spec is as follows

15.5 Seville Grey on Beechwood
Premier Plus T6 AWD
Tech Package
BLIS Package
Active Dual Xenons
19" Bor Diamond Cut Wheels
Front Blind View Camera
Exterior Styling Kit (Iron Stone)
Sensus Nav
Polestar Software

I wish it had climate but that's ok. Did I miss any options? Picking it up in a few days. They are installing the PS software and tinting 35% all round.

Looking forward to it and being active in this forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's a quick iPhone pic, doesn't really show the body kid too well, really happy with the overall package. Going to be a great daily driver replacement for my S4.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Not sure how bad of a shudder you are experiencing.

There is a TJ for this where the fix is to install spacers at the rear-most carrier bearing to adjust the angle of the propshaft. The car to which I applied this TJ had a very noticeable vibration under hard acceleration from a stop.
I would bet that this was the shudder he noticed. I've had it with both the V&S60 T6 RD's (both fixed under the TJ), and I suspect the XC60 T6 has it, I just don't drive it as much (wife's DD).

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Here's a quick iPhone pic, doesn't really show the body kid too well, really happy with the overall package. Going to be a great daily driver replacement for my S4.
Welcome and congrats, really nice V60. You are lucky to have the (non-RD) V60 w/T6 3.0 AWD variant available in Canada. It's a nice alternative to the R-Designs, especially considering the interior options. Enjoy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was as well, seems like a no brainer for our climate. I don't care about the heated rear seats but the hot steering wheel will be missed!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, the heated wheel is really nice, and the Sensus allows you to pre-start and warm it up. Got our '16 RD at VoT a couple of weeks ago (think we passed on your Quebec '15.5 RD in June when we ordered the '16). Really like the sport seats, but they come in black or black vs that really attractive beechwood. Still have an '07 VR with Attacama that quite grew on me.
P.S.: Don't tell the Americans how little we paid in USD - mine was just over $50k CAD with discounts.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
P.P.S.: Had an '02 S6 Avant years ago, which was probably a better track car, but I never drove it on the track so it was just expensive and a ticket magnet (missed one racing an M5 along the 40 in Montreal because the QPP got the M5 in the rear.)
My '07 VR was my ideal car and now believe the V60 RD is going to supplant it. Got to do something about those brakes, however.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts