SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased an 04 SR, love it so far; however, minor annoyance with it is a condensation build-up in my driver's side headlight assembly.

Is there any fix for the seal that I can do, or would I be looking at purchasing a new assembly? Not too excited at spending a grand on a headlight assembly lol.

Thanks for any wisdom/help!

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can reseal it but its a pain in the ass to do there is kits online but you will have to take the bumper off to get to the headlight, i would leave it to an expert to do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may try a re-seal in the future, if that doesn't work I'll have to look into the other options.

Fortunately I have access to Toyota FIPG sealer which works awesome against water (see: industrial sized washer fluid drum -> big azz oil catch drum) for the low price of $employment.99

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I just spent the weekend resealing my passenger side light. A few years back I took my lights apart to paint the shroud and for a while it was fine. A body shop replaced my rear bumper and their courtesy carwash must have been 200PSI because when I got it back there was clearly water intrusion. Drat.

So, the good news is that its pretty easy. You pull the bumper and there are three bolts, two on top and one on the side under the bumper support. Carefully remove it and unclip the three wiring bundles and its free. Unbolt the washer motor too. To dry it out I removed the bulb caps and gave it 40 minutes in my oven at 230. I let it cool slowly and then used clear RTV after scraping off the old sealant. Note that I didn't separate the housing, I just re-sealed around the seam. The glue I got at HomeDepot and its specifically for headlights and windshields. I let it dry overnight and reassembled. Worst case I didn't do a good job and I'll pull it again and seal the seam instead by pulling it apart. Ugh. Best case, I'm done for a few more years.

Anyway if I can help, reply or PM me. Biggest word of advice is be super careful carrying around your thousand dollar glass sculpture, one trip will ruin your week.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I just pulled and support my driver's side headlight. I got conversation. It turned out to be the a loose turn signal bulb. It was never twisted into the locked position. PO mistake. Since I have it out, I'm tearing into my wiper motor.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
n23: I'll definitely be digging into it sometime soon, thankfully no bulb failures as of yet. Whenever I get around to it I'll update you on how it goes.

titan joe: I'll have to check for loose bulbs as well, hopefully that's the only reason of the condensation but we'll see!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts