SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New member of the CAI club

940 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BeerEngineer 
#1 ·
Just got done putting the ipd/Kelly CAI in. Luckily I have a big commute tomorrow so I can see what it has done.

I will say though, routing that tube was a huge pain between the hamstrings, mostly because I was bent over the side of the car for so long. Putting the intake in the upper right of the airbox with the firm plastic IPD hose is not especially advisable for us with a GT. Snow valve would have been better, but hey, I already cut the hole.

Oh yeah, and actually taking the airbox out would have been easier too, but then I would have struggled with putting the thing back in.

Most work my dremel has gotten in about 3 years.

#2 ·
Re: New member of the CAI club (BeerEngineer)

I still don't quite understand the flange and non-snow valve routing.

The EASIEST thing to do is to dremel off the keyhole and pop the snow valve out. The size is perfect to work with the tube.

Granted, depending on your car, you probably won't be able to use the fancy flange, as it will force the hose down straight and too close to the trans. Just let it sit in the opening, there's maybe 1/8" on each side. Fits perfectly, allows minimal incoming air (if you're that worried grab some clear silicone flexible caulk and caulk the edges) and is the most direct routing.

Very reversable and takes a LOT less time to install. Also, it is the most stealth location, especially with a black hose (mine is red).

#3 ·
Re: New member of the CAI club (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by BeerEngineer »
Just got done putting the ipd/Kelly CAI in.

Congrats on joining the CAI family, there are now over 400 Rs all around the world with this modification.

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
I still don't quite understand the flange and non-snow valve routing.

IPD didn't really want people to use the snow valve location, so they made the flange a little too big to drop down in keyhole. Forget the reasons Lucky gave exactly, but I remember discussing that with him.

#4 ·
Re: New member of the CAI club ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

IPD didn't really want people to use the snow valve location, so they made the flange a little too big to drop down in keyhole. Forget the reasons Lucky gave exactly, but I remember discussing that with him.

Makes no sense to me unless you want to avoid a product liability issue with removing a factory "safety" device.

To each their own.

It looks nice, no doubt, and I know some value that. But it's way easier just to thread it in an open hole. I can remove mine in about 30 seconds and re-install in about 10.

#6 ·
Re: New member of the CAI club (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
But it's way easier just to thread it in an open hole. I can remove mine in about 30 seconds and re-install in about 10.

You have obviously mastered the use of your hose...

#7 ·
Re: New member of the CAI club ("R" Kelly)

It was just rough putting it way back there. Not a big issue, but the flange is pretty long, and the GT just makes it cramped. Hose is secure, and air is going where it needs to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.