SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of a day off today (Thank you Veterans) to install my EST downpipe. Overall, it took me about 2.5 hours from start to finish. The hardest part was taking off the rubber hangers from the stock DP and then at the end adjusting my catback EST exhaust because it wasn't long enough to meet with the DP. In terms of removing all the bolts, I sprayed each with a penetrating fluid, and then 2 minutes later I was good to go. There were no major headaches with the bolts.
I also installed an 02 sensor extender, just to be on the safe side.
Overall, the car idles nicer (deeper tone) and my butt dyno definitely feels an improvement. She really purrs like a kitty now.
As you can see, the quality of the DP seems really nice. The welds were really pretty and there were no fitment issues. EST really is a quality product.
Enjoy a few photos. As you can see, I did it all in my driveway with just cinder blocks under the front wheels (and metal jack stands underneath used as back-up).

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (tomedkaz)

Nice work http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I need to get my TME DP in, its been sitting in my garage for WAY TOO LONG!

·
Registered
741 Posts

Awesome!!

Mines at the house, but I'm stuck working in Louisiana for another week and a half. Cant wait to get it installed. Which extender did you order??

I sent my wife some flowers on Monday, she's telling me how nice they were on Monday night then asks about the big box on the front porch from EST.

"No honey!! The flowers dont have anything to do with the $600 downpipe"

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (bobbrown13)

Quote, originally posted by bobbrown13 »
Awesome!!

Mines at the house, but I'm stuck working in Louisiana for another week and a half. Cant wait to get it installed. Which extender did you order??

I sent my wife some flowers on Monday, she's telling me how nice they were on Monday night then asks about the big box on the front porch from EST.

"No honey!! The flowers dont have anything to do with the $600 downpipe"

heheh that's hilarious. Will you tackle it yourself?

I used a longer extender; the short ones wont work.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Looks great. But your taking your life in your hands getting under a car held up by cinder blocks. Especially on it's side like that - they can crumble without notice. Get some jack stands to avoid being in the Darwin Awards.

Sorry - didn't see your comment about jack stands too. I saw the cinderblocks first and didn't read the whole post. They can still crumble while you're driving up on them before the jack stands are in though

Modified by Bioran at 1:51 PM 11-11-2009

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (Helmut Ranff)

Great job, but I want to point out the car is resting on the weakest point of them concrete blocks. Kind of scary!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (Bioran)

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »
I did it all in my driveway with just cinder blocks under the front wheels (and metal jack stands underneath used as back-up).

Quote, originally posted by Bioran »
Looks great. But your taking your life in your hands getting under a car held up by cinder blocks. Especially on it's side like that - they can crumble without notice. Get some jack stands to avoid being in the Darwin Awards.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: (sacrifice)

Quote, originally posted by sacrifice »
Congrats man. First time I have actually seen stock and aftermarket DP compared side by side. Makes me want one so much more haha
Funny I was just thinking the opposite. Seeing them side by side like that just reminded me of how well designed the OEM downpipe actually is. Most other factory turbo cars out there have way more restrictive designs!

·
Registered
234 Posts
your suicidal workn under it like that..
but how come you didnt stick a crow bar in the DP and bust out the CAT honeycomb stuff?
ima do that today to mine

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Re: (rick_rabies)

Quote, originally posted by rick_rabies »
your suicidal workn under it like that..
but how come you didnt stick a crow bar in the DP and bust out the CAT honeycomb stuff?
ima do that today to mine

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Quote, originally posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate »
^^^^

but true.

Poor poor bear.

DP install meet!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Yes, I know, Kelly, Andy and myself need to get'r done.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (Bioran)

Quote, originally posted by Bioran »

Sorry - didn't see your comment about jack stands too. I saw the cinderblocks first and didn't read the whole post. They can still crumble while you're driving up on them before the jack stands are in though

Modified by Bioran at 1:51 PM 11-11-2009

this

Please don't have cinder blocks anywhere near a car up on jack stands or not. A friend of mine's dad was killed using cinder blocks as jack stands. I know you were using jack stands also, but damn...that just brings back bad memories. He was decapitated by the way.

Even though I would have punched you in the neck for using cinder blocks... http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif It looks great and I'm jealous.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: New member of a 3 inch downpipe club (kmagnuss)

I almost killed myself at 17 when I was working on my Fiat X1/9. Gravel driveway, slope, jack, wood blocks. I rolled out from under as it fell. I think twice about doing stupid things like that now.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I just got back from some spirited driving and, well, although i love the fact that the spool is a lot quicker, but I was kind of hoping it would have been louder. I guess I'll have to cut out the resonator...or maybe I'll remove the rear muffler and put a straight pipe there instead.
No worries - the cinder blocks were there only for the support. The car rested on jack stands - you can see the front is jacked higher a bit (bigger wheel-fender gap)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

What you olny have a 3"member..? i wouldnt be bragging about that my friend...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.