SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and a fairly new Volvo owner! I have had my 05 S40 T5 FWD Auto for about 5 months now. It is just about to hit 100k miles :( Since my purchase the only thing I have done is put in a K&N intake. I like the swoosh...lol. Anyways I wanted to introduce myself here and ask what are the immediate updates that I should do. Known issues for the S40 that I should look at first and what not. If there is a link pointing me in the right direction than please share :) Here are some pics of my car. I will apologize ahead of time for how dirty my engine is......WI weather has been non stop rain in my area lately and the only baths my poor car is getting is from mother nature!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get yourself a battery cover. Seriously it's good for the battery to stay cool. These turbo engine get pretty warm ;)

Also for a very inexpensive and quick way to make your car look much newer get yourself some foreverblack to blacken the trim again. It makes a world of difference. Of course my car is black so it helps but I think yours could use it.
http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
wheel gap can be an issue for some :) Anywhere near Hudson, WI? My car hit 100k about a month ago and for my car there hasn't been any big malfunctions yet...aw crap there's no wood near by to knock on

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Did you add that stripe or did the car come with it?

Also, is that 5% tint? I wish I could do that, but I'm just not willing to risk getting pulled over.

Car looks good, can't wait to see your progression!

wheel gap can be an issue for some
haha, yeah really.

aw crap there's no wood near by to knock on
That's what happens when you don't have a wood grain interior :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@tg....battery cover check.... Forever black check..... I swore the bottom part of the car was dark gray. It weathered pretty evenly! I have seen s40s with the bottom trims color matched. Anyone here done this? How much does it run approximately.

@sweetvee I am in Baldwin.... Only about 15 miles from Hudson. Knock on wood quick!!! Lol

I just ordered new tires for the winter and plan on getting rims over the winter!

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
@tg....battery cover check.... Forever black check..... I swore the bottom part of the car was dark gray. It weathered pretty evenly! I have seen s40s with the bottom trims color matched. Anyone here done this? How much does it run approximately.
You'd probably be looking around $500-800 for a good paint job. Only a few have painted their plastic trim, a lot of people have body kits that are painted to match.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@mynameideaswheretaken... Thanks for the welcome :) the stripe was on the car when I bought it. I want to remove it because I'm not a big fan (what does everyone think?) but I'm afraid of the paint under the stripe not matching. I do believe the tint is around the 5percent range. The car was previously registered in Texas where it was legal. I thus far haven't had any issues with being pulled over...... Oh crap where the heck is all the wood around here!!! I'm excited to show the progression. I used to be in a local car club and miss the talk with the crew. I look forward to fill that void here!

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
If you're referring to the "edgey" looking OEM dynamic trim kit, I agree with you. It's outdated in my opinion.

While the stripe is different, I would remove it. Start on the end and if it looks like the paint has faded, then stop pealing there. I debadged my car when it was 7 years old and had no difference in color, so you should be fine.

SwedeSpeed is definitely a friendly and fun (sometimes VERY sarcastic) forum. Hopefully you'll feel that car-club/family atmosphere here :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@mniwt I was checking out your website and pictures of your car.... First off nice work. next I see that u recently redid your ceiling liner. How hard was it? I any chance of an upcoming how to video? Mine is falling :-(

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Pictures of the headliner are coming. As for a how-to, Melvin already has that covered here.

It wasn't too difficult of a job, but I've acquired a good bit of experience doing similar jobs. Really, it's just a matter of getting the adhesive on evenly and using a good, light weight, quality material.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pictures of the headliner are coming. As for a how-to, Melvin already has that covered here.

It wasn't too difficult of a job, but I've acquired a good bit of experience doing similar jobs. Really, it's just a matter of getting the adhesive on evenly and using a good, light weight, quality material.
Thanks for the link! I did a liner years ago on a dodge avenger. It didn't last long though. I used a heavy but cool looking fabric. Didn't look to cool when it was falling off again lol. I bookmarked the Page. I may have to try again with the right fabric. Thank

·
Registered
90 Posts
well if you ever stop at the kwik trip in hudson in the mornin' you'll probably see my very red v50 :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Anyone have a sugestion for cleaning under the hood? It has been raining non stop around here so under the hood hasn't received much tlc. Is there a good way to clean without having to worry about the open filter CAI?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Soap and water on a damp cloth. I've heard scrubbing bubbles works well too.

I clean my engine bay about once a month, so it never takes more than a dust rag now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Get yourself a battery cover. Seriously it's good for the battery to stay cool. These turbo engine get pretty warm ;)

Here is a question......anyone know where to get a battery cover or if there are any nice performance styled ones? I did a quick google search just to check prices and came up with zilch!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts