SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i with 47K miles in September. I've been quietly lurking the Swedespeed forums, reading about what you all have done to your S40s, and thinking about what I'd like to do my own. It's the first car I've owned that I haven't had to share with someone (parents, siblings, wife), as well as the first Volvo I've ever driven, so I'm excited to learn more about it and make it my own!

I'd like to put some 17 inch wheels, lower and stiffen the suspension, maybe add some exterior body parts. I definitely need to do something about the dim headlights. I think I'm developing nightvision. If I feel ambitious, I might try to improve the engine performance (I know not much can be done with the 2.4i engine).

Anyway, it's been really useful to read about the changes you all have made to your S40s. Thanks for being such a great resource!

-Alex

·
Registered
757 Posts
Welcome! That's a pretty low mileage vehicle! Remember, the rubber parts don't know the mileage, only the age. Look after that timing belt soon, and keep an eye on the engine mounts.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice! We have almost identical cars. Mine is an 05. You should clean the projector lens. Mine were all cloudy and killed my headlight range. Good luck! There is a wealth of knowledge here. Go explore it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips! A couple follow-up questions...

mf70: Any idea roughly how many years of life the timing belt and engine mounts generally have?

phish: why do you recommend that particular order for the suspension upgrades?

mgm7890: my lenses don't look cloudy, but I'll definitely give it a try and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the glass projector lens, not the headlight lens plastic casing.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
you should get 10 years (or 120k miles) from the timing belt. so wait a year or two. And the engine mounts may still be fine... I changed my belt just before 10 years(106k miles) and changed the mounts at 121k miles but they werent causing problems and couldhave gone a lot longer. but my car hasnt been abused-- at least in the last 40k miles.

i think itll be very obvious once the engine mounts have gone bad-- lots of clunking over bumps. Although i bet the rear lower trans mount is probably crapped out already.. thats very easy to check though.... check out MNIWT's videos on youtube for that.
with less torque from the 2.4i i bet you can get some decent life out of those mounts/
////welcome\\\\\

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aldebaran and mgm7890: I'll give the projector lens a good clean when I try aiming the headlights higher, hopefully one or both will help with the dismal night visibility issue. I still want to install HID headlights down the line. I like the halos I've seen on other Volvos here.

Brown9348: Thanks for the timing belt and engine mount info. There are definitely some clunking sounds, so I'll look up those videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts