SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm here due to a note in the latest IPD Newsletter. I've enjoyed looking around and hope to all my 2 cents fom time to time. I have three 240s now (85, 88 sedans and a 93 wagon) and have owned several more over the years. My current project is the 84 sedan. It has 23K on it now, and is in very good shape. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension with the IPD sway bars and the Cherry Turbo braces, but I'm not sure I wish to lower the car with the sport springs as I will be forced to drive the car this winter. I would appreciate any advise on shocks (with the stock springs), wheels, and tires. The wheels and tires interest me as I'm thinking of keeping the stock wheels with All season tires for winter and acquiring a good looking set of wheels and tires for summer. I've looked on the tire rack site, but I'd rather find a set of the 240 turbo wheels maybe... Advice?<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hi, welcome. Thanks to IPD for running the article on us BTW in their newsletter.<P>Sounds like you have a nice collection of 240s, and the icing on the cake is that you are in the DC area!<P>The DC crowd on Swedespeed has grown to a decent number, and we try to get together once in a while to hang out and check out each other's cars.<P>Also, this weekend is the Carlisle Import Auto Show (you can see more in the Events & Gatherings forum on this) in Carlisle, PA. There were over 50 Volvos there last year (there's a gallery in our Resources/Gallery section. The swap meet is particularly good, and you'll find a lot for your 240 there, including wheels.<P>Some of the other local guys you'll probably find in the 240 forum, like Volvorules (Rob) and Towerymt (Michael)have extra sets of wheels they might sell and not to mention a wealth of knowledge.<P>On suspension, if you make it to one of the Get Togethers or Carlisle this weekend, I'll have our Project 245 along with me. That has the setup you mention in addition to the TME lowering springs, so you can get a better feel for the ride height. The handling difference is huge and we're most happy with it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You can't go wrong with the 240 Turbo wheels. They're cheap and easy to find. I've got 7 of them right now, but 6 are in use and the 7th is bent. Sets sell on ebay all the time (search "volvo wheels"...you might find some 740/760/780/940 alloy wheels that you like). Keep in mind that chrome lugnuts will cost at least $40 and the center caps are about $10 used, so if you find a set that includes both, it's worth a little extra.<P>The 240 Turbo wheels (Virgo) are 15x6, so you can fit a 205/55 tire for better traction while keeping the correct diameter. 205/60 is a popular choice for added ride comfort.<P>I just recently refinished a set for the second time, and it's not difficult, but it takes some time. Here are a couple of pictures:<P><A HREF="http://a4.cpimg.com/image/AE/9A/8988334-04fd-022D0169-.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Silver Virgo wheels</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.swedespeed.com/resources/gallery/auto_shows/vbb_i/rwd/images/large/06.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Graphite Virgo wheels</A> <I>(205/50 tires, shorter than stock)</I><P>I can't say enough good things about what IPD sway bars will do for the car. More level cornering, quicker steering response, and quick lane changes or other maneuvers become easier. I've also got the Cherry Turbos upper strut brace with the IPD upper chassis braces. These won't make nearly as much difference as the sway bars, but the slightly better steering response as a result of less flexing is noticable.<P>Lowering springs definitely aren't for everyone, but the IPD springs seem like the best choice for someone who's not sure. They lower about 1.5" and they lower evenly. The IPD springs should improve handling and looks while maintaining a reasonable ground clearance.<P>I have Jamex springs, which lowered about 2" in the front and about 0.5" or less in the rear. I have no problem scrapping my exhaust downpipe on tall speed bumps, but that shouldn't happen with IPD springs.<P>If you keep the stock springs, then I would go with the Bilstein Touring class shock. Boge Turbo Gas is good too, and either should be better than stock in performance while still maintaining a comfortable ride.<P>If you're interested, I should have a spare set of used IPD sway bars available in about a week. I'll let you know. BTW, I'm in Herndon.<P>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both ([email protected] and towerymt) for all of the information. Now, all I have to do is get the director of finance to loosen up a bit and I’ll get the next phase of the project car underway….<P>George, the event this weekend sounds great, but the wife and kids have me on a full schedule this weekend. I might be able to get up there on Sunday and if so, I’ll look for you and the 245. Please let me know when the DC crowd gathers. I’d like to join in, show off the good car, and get some guy time.<P>Towerymt, Thank you for the pictures of the wheels (nice looking 240) and the technical data - these are the wheels I’m looking for. I also appreciate your notes on the springs and shocks. I am interested in the IPD bars you mentioned, so please let me know when they become available and their condition (should I get new bushings from IPD?). I’m not sure if this would interest you, but I’m about to pull parts and retire retire/donate/junk what will remain of my 1988 240 as it has reached the point of diminishing return. Are there any parts that I can offer in trade or partial trade for the bars? The big basic parts are all working fine; engine, alternator, starter, electronics, wiper motor, seats, Volvo radio/tape deck, etc - it is the leaking windshield, transmission (rear seal), gas tank, and general body rust that have convinced me to throw in the towel. <BR>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts