SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the time officially came for me to give up my VW 1.8T, and as such I went on the hunt for a new ride. Price/Performance/Comfort/Safety ratios tipped the scale in the Volvo territory. After a long, long search, I believe I found my steed. Volvo S70 T5 Auto with 133K miles on her. Taking her to the mechanic tomorrow and getting looked at and then making them an offer.

It is very evident that the car is enthusiast owned. Rebuilt transmission, new timing belt, new (blue) wiring, pillar mounted turbo gauge, smoked rears, suspension looks newish, straight pipe in between cat and muffler, and intake, debaged save the T5. Test drover her and she pulls like a raped ape, and is tighter than a dolphins ass in corners.

Now I know I may be jumping the gun a bit, since I don't actually have the keys, but things are looking good. Will find out tomorrow morning how she fairs.

Couple of questions for you good folks:

Being that I have never driven a T5, how would I know if the ECU was reflashed? Since my buttdyno has no comparison this aspect is a bit interesting.
I live in Portland, OR, and i was wondering if anyone recognizes the car or knows who the owner is.

Thank you for having me.

HEY WHAT MODS SHOULD I DO FIRST!!!!??? < Kidding. Been trolling long enough to know that irks people. :mad:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Stock boost would display at around a max of 10 pounds on the boost gauge. Stage 1 flashes push that to
14 or 15 pounds. The ECU might also be marked with a label or other identifier if it has been flashed.
IPD's website has details on typical boost levels you would see with reflashed ECUs along with
instructions on how to remove it to have a look.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7758...upgrade-for-motronic-4-turbo-models-1994-1998

Boost can also be bumped using a MBC (manual boost controller) valve. Your mechanic should be
able to spot if one is installed. Google "MBC volvo" to find more. (An ECU upgrade is the better way to go.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks krn. I thought I saw it surge a bit past the 10 lbs of boost. I am then assuming it has had a reflash. I called IPD already and gave them the VIN to see if they had it on record. No answer back as of yet.

The car is quick from what I can tell. Need to pick it up, Stage 0 the thing and take it for a drive.

Also, since I was not able to post pictures of the car as of yet, it is a Garnet Red, which is somewhat of a unique color. Couldn't find it in black, but since the price is right, I'll just go with it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Love that color! Post up pics when you get her!

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it just briefly hits over 10 psi, its probably a stock ecu, which will spike a tad as the tranny shifts, which is my guess you have a stock ecu. An upgraded will pull to 14-15 easily.

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Mine would spike to almost 12 lbs, it was stock
If it's flashed you WILL know it as it gives you a super kick in the ass!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got her! Mechanic went through it. New transmission, timing belt, suspension bits - (struts, end links, etc) brakes and tires, tags. Mechanic did not leave me very much room to negotiate with the dealer that was standing next to me. Still got her for $3725. Very tastefully modded. Boost gauge on pillar (ipd). I'm assuming it was reverted to stock settings. I have nothing to compare it to, being as I have never driven a T5 but it feels quick. Silly question, but if it did have the ECU reflashed by say IPD and I live in Portland, is it possible to convert it back to IPD settings?

Anywho, thanks for having me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would skip the IPD tune and look up Lucky at ARD Ideas and get him to flash you a tune. He is the one that used to do some of the IPD tunes, but moved on and is doing better things for us!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts