SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 07 XC70 a couple weeks ago, and this looks to be the most active and informative forum I have found, I contribute to a couple other car forums.
So the Wagon, 2007 T5, 85K miles, one owner dealer serviced with records & garage kept Very Clean. I had been looking for a few months, happy with the wagon!!
I have used the search function with no luck in looking for a good service / repair manual recommendation to help me get familiar with this wagen. I usually do my PM and mechanical repairs. I see the references to the VIDA-DiCE and looks like I need to put this on my list to get.
Questions
What is the best manual(s?) to get, factory? Best source?
On software, I see in all of the dealer services they note "software update" per lifetime service agreement or such. Last service was 75Kmi in May of 16 and my last software update. this seems odd to me, what are they changing? and I assume this relates to the VIDA-Dice? How often do you do this on a earlier car?
I can track the OC's and such and the dealer services but it is not completely clear on what all is included each service, is their a list available in a manual?
Main interest would be the 75K most recent service tasks.
I did a OC but wondering about other fluids, my normal thing for a new to me car is I need to change all fluids & filters (part of the quest for good manual) but curious on what may have been changed at the 75K service.

A good manual is my current quest to read up on the XC70 to get familiar and go forward with PM's learn more about these wagons.

Long term my interest follows many here, suspension, tire wheel upgrades, modifications to aid mechanical longer life etc

I appreciate your input!

Best Regards

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You also need to be a mEmber not a mAmber!

There is no such a wagon as a 2007 T5 so please try again.
You have either a V70 2.4, a V702.5T or an XC70

And correct, change ALL the fluids now with the CORRECT FLUIDS. (important)!
engine, TRANSMISSION The angle gear, rear differential and the Haldex fluid.

You don't know what was used but these engines need SYNTHETIC oil/

Also read about the breather system (PCV) and what happens on a car that may not have been serviced well and OFTEN.
You cannot go as far as 7500 miles, 5000 miles using synthetic seems to work the best on these engines.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey Jerry. Welcome! Lemme edit JRL's post for you. He's a resident grumpy expert around here. He knows more about Volvos than most of us…but his delivery has scared off more than a couple newcomers. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth! This forum is a wealth of knowledge, and a great place to connect with other people who are passionate about the same ride you recently picked up. Welcome!

You don't know what was used but these engines need SYNTHETIC oil.

Also read about the breather system (PCV) and what happens on a car that may not have been serviced well and OFTEN. At 85K, you've probably got some time before it's necessary…but it's good to be in the know. It's unfortunately a lot more complex than swapping a PCV valve on other cars, and is worth knowing it's coming.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Congrats on the new to you XC70!

The owners manual that should have come with the car would have most of the service intervals. I say "most" because I don't think the manual recommends ATF, rear differential, and angle gear fluid changes but most of us don't prescribe to the "lifetime fluids" theory.

Your car sounds like it's due for a timing belt service based on time if it hasn't been done yet.

I wouldn't read anything into software being updated at the May 16 service. That just means that the dealership hooked it up to the computer and downloaded any software updates (I doubt there were any on an older car like this). Volvo started advertising software updates a few years ago when you bring your car in for service.

Regarding service history, the best option is to try to get the service records from the dealership thought they may very well refuse to based on privacy concerns. At least they could tell you what was done. Some dealerships recommend more frequent than is required in the manual.

Having a VIDA set-up is really nice to re-set check engine lights and help with repair work. I've also gotten repair tips from here of course and videos from FCP where I buy parts from.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I am a member on other forums and seeing the grouch is not new, I will assume that their real input out weighs the other, obviously will have to run spell check for typo's going forward. Back to the XC70.
The engine is the B5254T2, I mistakenly identified the 5 cyl turbo as T5 my apologies.
I do have all service records from new, (1 owner) car started off new from the dealer with semi- synthetic but looks like over the last 5 yrs full synthetic and OC's at 5K miles although some of those go beyond a year time period. I did do a oil / filter change within a few days of purchase using full synthetic and what was dumped was clean with about 3K miles on it.

I have the owners manual (TP 9058) but is very weak in service / PM, thus my question on what manual(s) do most use? On most all of my cars I buy factory service & maintenance manuals but don't really see mention of them here or in Google, is this in the VIDA? I did contact Dave above. There has to be something better than the Chilton that you may be able to order at the FLAPS?
I have been reading that the timing belt should be changed at 100k or 10 yrs, so that and a trans fluid / filter change is on the radar, I have a good local independent Volvo service shop I trust that used to also do some Audi work for me that I have talked to, to give it an inspection and will include both in the next couple weeks or so.

Does Volvo have "PET" type library's (PET on some German cars show exploded views of parts and assemblies also identifying part numbers, a great aid in viewing how things are put together and what you will be getting into) I have seen similar diagrams included in some posts. Wondering if there is a location to download?

Thank You for the input!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
All in VIDA

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank You will check it out, also communicating with Dave above.

Best Regards

Edit: Wow lots to read for me to understand all this, I think I understand the Vida side for software and will get a friend that does IT to look at this, my laptop is about a year old and hopefully up to it. I think I understand the DiCe unit plugs in like a ODBC2 reader and communicates with computer either by cable or Bluetooth. I have a mid range Bosch ODBC2 reader but sounds like Volvo has its own system. Much more to read and learn.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thank You will check it out, also communicating with Dave above.

Best Regards

Edit: Wow lots to read for me to understand all this, I think I understand the Vida side for software and will get a friend that does IT to look at this, my laptop is about a year old and hopefully up to it. I think I understand the DiCe unit plugs in like a ODBC2 reader and communicates with computer either by cable or Bluetooth. I have a mid range Bosch ODBC2 reader but sounds like Volvo has its own system. Much more to read and learn.

Thank You
Welcome aboard JerryL, post some pics of the XC70 if you would! Easiest to do via Tapatalk app on your phone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do, I have never used Tapatalk, but I stepped into the post go advanced optionand it looks like the same as a couple other forums I have been on for years, just need pics in computer memory. Will take some pics Soon!

Regards

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As promised some pics attached, been raining for last few days so no fresh wash & shine pics but good representation of the Wagen.

I do have an appointment with my Indi shop on Monday for the timing belt, tensioner pully, & water pump "while in there" he uses the factory water pump as he says many replacement pumps are hit & miss on quality. also doing the trans fluid & filter as well as the haladex (sp?)oil & filter, will pump out and change F&R diffs while up in the air and having him flush the brake fluid with his pressure bleeder. Doing this just to give me a base line for all fluids and he can do it easier than me with his equipment. I usually do most all work my self but want to get the Belt & trans serviced as the belt is overdue.

Best Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Looks very nice - congrats!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hello, I bought a 07 XC70 a couple weeks ago, and this looks to be the most active and informative forum I have found, I contribute to a couple other car forums.
So the Wagon, 2007 T5, 85K miles, one owner dealer serviced with records & garage kept Very Clean. I had been looking for a few months, happy with the wagon!!
I
What is the best manual(s?) to get, factory? Best source?
Haynes service manual - hands down easiest to read, best tips, and even has pictures.

Was 20 bucks on ebay.

Also what car ya got? It'd be cool if you edited the main post to reflect what ya got, not sure if its a t5 or xc70?
edit: nvm just saw the last pics, it's an xc
nice executive gauges there though, but damn I hate those tan interiors! It's pristine though!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to both of you, yea, black or the tan not my favorite but when shopping used you balance the+ & -'s, happy with the condition overall, and one owner dealer serviced won me over after looking for a couple months. Hopefully the mechanic will like it as much as I do after doing inspection and PM service.
will check out a Haynes I think Chilton did not list it, would be a nice overview as I get to understand the DiCE Vida

Best Regards

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That's a good looking XC! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You also need to be a mEmber not a mAmber!

There is no such a wagon as a 2007 T5 so please try again.
You have either a V70 2.4, a V702.5T or an XC70

You don't know what was used but these engines need SYNTHETIC oil/

Also read about the breather system (PCV) and what happens on a car that may not have been serviced well and OFTEN.
You cannot go as far as 7500 miles, 5000 miles using synthetic seems to work the best on these engines.
gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
LMAO seriously chill jrl my dude
I suggest that you don't talk to members with near 60K posts since you've only been here for ONE month, Mr.Jr member with 93 posts!

JerryL, Nice XC. I think you know what to do so I trust it will be around for a very long time! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well had the XC70 at my trusted independent (he used to do several makes but to limit business in the last few yrs he kept cutting makes and now Volvo only), I wanted to get a good base line going forward on the wagon and the timing belt was over due from age, and wanted a good inspection from someone who knows the cars.
So along with the timing belt, new factory water pump, tensioner, and serpentine belt, I wanted all fluids changed, so a trans flush, Halidex fluid & filter, differentials All factory fluides or synthetic, and wanted brake fluid flush(Castrol Synthetic). I usually do most all of my maintenance but wanted his experience on the timing belt and it would have taken me weeks to get around to the rest so wanted a good starting point and have it done.
On his inspection he found dried and starting to crack rubber brake lines (easy replacement to go with the flush!) also noticed the fuel filter was orig due the paper still being on part of it so it was changed, noticed one side of the hanger on the muffler was rusted thru and replaced it with a nice bolt on unit.
So I am happy with the wagen and his very positive review of it. It is my daily driver now as I get rid of my 2001 Audi A6 Avant that actually had been very good.
I will continue studying up on the Vida Dice and jump in soon, this will be good for me as I do most everything mechanical but the electronic stuff beyond my Bosch ODBC2 unit would send me to the shop. and now it looks like there is no escaping the electronic age in automobiles! Was happy to master CDI boxes, give me carbs any day Oh well time to move forward.

Best Regards

1 - 20 of 43 Posts