SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a current 05 S60 2.5T GT owner.

I can't lie, and will have to admit the S60 is one of the finest vehicles I've ever had. My heart with a manual, although even the GT and a lowly 220hp has given me a few thrills here and there. I'm getting out of this lease early / relocating and getting a new vehicle.

I'd have to say that an R MT really consider the getting the same car again, since it really is completely different. Although the NEW 07 G35 coupe has got my attention which is out very shortly. The pricing is 6-7 grand cheaper, naturally inspired, lovely GT frame coupe, and at least currently NISSAN/INFNITY Products are hold a ton of their value, looking at the S60 it appears not so nice? I'm single, no family, so 2/4 doors is no issues AT ALL. AWD is not an issue as well, warm climate.

Just curious what others thoughts are on this. My main goal is performance with style, and rumor has it the new 07 G35 has vastly improved inside and not so plastic like.

My personal thought is going with the INFINITY I'll give up being original & slightly luxury; although from many other indicators the G35 seems nice. I'd love to hear any thoughts on drivers who have actually driven both.

Thank You!

here are a few pics in case you haven't seen the updating style

it does in fact appear the interior has upgraded, .. the interior is something I LOVE currently on the S60

Modified by stonepra at 6:17 AM 5-15-2006

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: New Lease: 06/07 S60R MT or 07 G35 COUPE MT (stonepra)

In all honesty, saying what you just did...I would go for the Infiniti!
For what it is, and what many of us R owners need...the R is amazing.
However, with being a father of none, warm weather driving, and interested in performance...the coupe is definitely your calling.

Once you have a family, live in the northern zones, and care more about performance-minded luxury...the R is the car.

I would definitely get that G and have some fun!

Well actually, I'd get a Mustang GT. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: New Lease: 06/07 S60R MT or 07 G35 COUPE MT (Eric_H)

I can understand your dilemma. I currently have an '04 S60 T5 GT and I'm right now in the process of trying to sell it in order to upgrade to an '06 S60R MT. I too miss the stick shift. I have one son, wife, and occasionally dog is transported in this car (but that's really why I have a 2nd car - V70R) and live in Indiana where it can snow...so the R would be a nice fit for me. I personally don't like the asian cars...much prefer european cars. But for you, the infiniti could be nice.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

If you want to blend in please choose the Infiniti.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
S60R > G35 for performance. It(G35) drives like a very heavy car and has a ton of understeer. To get RELIABLE f/i on the VQ motor you are going to need to spend 25K. On the R, you can transform the car for about 4K.(ECU, DP, springs and sways) Stock vs. Stock the R wins in performance, luxury and origionality.

FYI: AWD is NOT only for cold climates.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
S60R > G35 for performance. It(G35) drives like a very heavy car and has a ton of understeer. To get RELIABLE f/i on the VQ motor you are going to need to spend 25K. On the R, you can transform the car for about 4K.(ECU, DP, springs and sways) Stock vs. Stock the R wins in performance, luxury and origionality.

FYI: AWD is NOT only for cold climates.

For 5K you can get a Vortech supercharger kit for over 400whp on the G35....

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
if you only spend 5K for a f/i kit on that motor then 5K is as long as the engine will last. You would be better off getting an SR20 and putting a decent sized turbo (which you can do for 5K as well). These engines are blowing left and right.

Also, Sport compact car magazine(may 06) did a good article where the 350Z(same motor) had a vortec s/c and the STOCK engine outperformed it. This article was titled "the truth about mods" and would be a very good read.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I am not up to spec with all the options for the G35 motor, but my best friend has an 04 G35 with a Vortech S/C for over 18months, and de-tuned the motor down to 380whp (hit 404whp on the dyno). He doesn't have any other real mods done (headers, exhaust, are later this year).

I can say for certain his G35 will outperform my R....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

I have both a 2004 G35 and a 2005 R and I love them both, but they are completely different cars. At this stage in my life (i.e, wife, soon to be 3 kids as twins are now officially past due date, and wanting more comfort than I used to), if I had to choose a car, it would be the R.

The G is more responsive in steering, is tighter handling, and has great linear power. The G has also kept its value MUCH better than the R. Granted, I don't have any mods on my R or G, but I can tell you it is much easier to get the G up to speed than the R, and there is no comparison in handling, the G is a corner carver compared to the R. I don't understand the heavy comment of R-Rated as in my opinion the G is much more nimble than the R.

However, the G's seats are uncomfortable (nice looking, but definitely not comfortable). Looking at the pictures above it looks like the seats are the same, but that the G's steering wheel and center console have changed a bit. I can tell you I think the G is a poor daily driver when compared to the R as the ride is a lot worse than the R in advanced mode.

I would also be especially wary of the G in hot climates as my G has this nasty habit of sucking up exhaust and blowing it back at you. When I get out of the car with max A/C blowing for more than 10 minutes, I smell like a carbon dioxide eau de toilette.

The R is great b/c you can kick it in Bison mode with the family, or play speedracer on the track with Advanced mode. The interior is much nicer, the sound system is great, the A/C blows clean air, you drive a car very few people recognize, and you sneak up on unsuspecting drivers all day long. I will admit after having driven both for over a year now, I sometimes dread getting into my G day after day (I am keeping the miles low on the R b/c I will still probably have to sell it as many of you know it has been for sale). While the G is great as a weekend car, I would not be inclined to purchase another one at this stage of my life.

If I were to mod a car strickly for racing, or if I was inclined to want to drive a "sports car" everyday, then I would choose the G because it is a coupe with naturally better racing properties. Granted, I don't know what a fully mod'd R will do, so perhaps I sould find out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: (zlar007)

Just my two cents...two of my friends have an 05 and 06 G35. Both love them - but zlar007 is in the same boat regarding ride. Both my friends G's ride SOOO hard - and it's worse here in Los Angeles where the roads suck. The G is initially faster, does corner a little better (awd/fwd versus rwd), and a bit lighter - but for me in the G i get beat up in normal driving. Also correct - the seats are not comfortable at all...and I've spent several rides in them from San Diego to LA and back. In fact...now when we go we always take my car due to the comfort factor. Remember in an R, we have suspension settings.

The updated G is beatiful to look at. But I always prefer form with function that works with the driver in mind.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In the Infinity you fishtail=you are dead.

Check out http://www.wreckedexotics.com and see the fatality rates on RWD vehicles.

RWD is an anachronism that is best left to the dirt track. Of course, if you dont have children and dont care go for it. Know that at high speeds these babies are unrecoverable.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (Kandiru)

I wonder why Diamler Crysler is moving their complet line of vehicles to REAR wheel drive in 07? There will be NO front wheel drive options at all! I have owned a few BMW's and if the trction contol is on, it is almost impossible to lose control. In fact my last E46 M3 was better in all cases than any front wheel drive car I have drivin. I know you are comparing all wheel to rear wheel. Just thought I would bring this interesting topic up.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Hey, I agree RWD vehicles are bad in the snow / slippery conditions, but in Vegas, half the fun of the G is kicking out the back around a corner:) Besides, if you don't know what you are doing with any car, you can be dead or kill others.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Kandiru »

RWD is an anachronism that is best left to the dirt track. Of course, if you dont have children and dont care go for it. Know that at high speeds these babies are unrecoverable.

Then why is it that every exotic supercar and cars that are performance oriented
all RWD? Better handling plain and simple. Rear wheels do the driving, front wheels do the steering. Sure there are some really great AWD cars out there i.e. STi, Evo, S4, R (I guess) but even AWD can't save you from driving like an idiot. With high speeds and reckless driving AWD, Volvo, whatever will not matter. The reason there are so many wrecked exotics is because their owners are rich, don't know how to handle 600hp, and choose to drive retardedly fast on public streets.

But anyway on the topic, drive both and see which one you like. If four doors and AWD are not neccessary for you, then look at other RWD sport sedans/coupes like BMWs. Just please, please don't end up getting a Japanese torque-steering FWD sedan.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

You're making me want that G35

I like the FX too. Volvo had better come out with some cool stuff if they want to keep me onboard.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: New Lease: 06/07 S60R MT or 07 G35 COUPE MT (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »
You're making me want that G35

I like the FX too. Volvo had better come out with some cool stuff if they want to keep me onboard.

Does it come in red

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stonepra »
I'm single, no family, so 2/4 doors is no issues AT ALL. AWD is not an issue as well, warm climate.

Then it's really a no-brainer...especially in a warm climate!

-Eric

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like it was mentioned before.. The seats are hard as a rock and wide - meant for the people with a "large ass"
A quick look at the pic above appears they havn't changed a bit. One thing I do miss in the R is the low end torque my Maxima had..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts