SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. Well this past week i finally bought a car. After debating whether or not to even buy a car i decided to bite the bullet and look. And i can say im glad i did! I am in college and i had my dad look for me when i was at school and he found a real nice 2001 S60 T5. Bought it two days later and drove it back to school on a 4 hour drive yesterday. I have to say, this thing flys, one of the fastest cars ive been in and even if the repair bills are higher than normal its worth it! I can see me keeping the car for a while. But i do have a few questions. The car does have 98k on it and it needs the timing belt done soon i imagine. I was wondering if this is something i can do myself or something i should have a shop do? and is it worth putting in a new water pump at the same time too? Im fairly good with cars, my first was a 64 chevelle and did everything on that, i know this car is much harder to work on but is a timing belt something i can do?

Also, any other maintainance i should do at this milage as well? I was thinknig maybe trany fluid, plugs, cleaning the turbo?

And lastly i bought the car with winter tires, since i live in NY, they are really good and expensive tires and the way i drive if i dont get different tires soon they will have no tread left. So i am getting tires but i wanted to know the widest tire i can get without rubbing. Right now the tires are 235/45 17. Should i be fine with a 225 or do i need to go all the way down to a 215? thanks. and any reccommendations for a good all season tire?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (shagginwagon)

its an auto, which i was determined not to buy since i have driven manaul my whole life except for my last car which was a camry, but i felt is has enough power anyway i could give up on the manual one more time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

hi, what ETM issues are normally occuring and is a transmission flush something i can do myself or do i need a shop to do that? thanks. I mean im sure i can change the tranny fluid, but is that the same thing as a flush?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: (swedeman)

ETM: I'd start here as far as reading goes. Make sure your car is an affected model, too, of course.

I believe an ATF flush is essentially a drain and refill. I think some people will drain/fill/drain/fill/etc. until the fluid comes out clear, though. And apparently there can be problems with flushing the fluid of a high-mileage tranny which has the original fluid. (Sadly, I don't know much on this subject.)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: New kid on the block needs help! (swedeman)

Quote, originally posted by swedeman »

And lastly i bought the car with winter tires, since i live in NY, they are really good and expensive tires and the way i drive if i dont get different tires soon they will have no tread left. So i am getting tires but i wanted to know the widest tire i can get without rubbing. Right now the tires are 235/45 17. Should i be fine with a 225 or do i need to go all the way down to a 215? thanks. and any reccommendations for a good all season tire?
Most people with 225 (including myself) do not rub.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: New kid on the block needs help! (swedeman)

225 is the sweet spot.
For AS tires, get the Michelin ones at Costco, they are not too noisy and handle great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For transmission fluid change, check here:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/...=5668

It's not hard AT ALL. I was intimidated a bit at first, because auto transmissions scare me. But it was SO EASY. You'll need a helper to start & stop the car though. Cliffs:
- Drain as much as you can from the drain plug into a big measuring container
- Refill that exact same amount through the trans dipstick, using the same measuring container
- Unplug the trans oil cooler return line, and plug in a vinyl hose into the return hole
- Start the car, drain out the vinyl hose into your measuring container until you get bubbles, stop the car
- Refill that exact same amount through the trans dipstick
- Repeat the last two steps 2 or 3 times
- Put back the trans oil cooler line
- Drive around the block, check the level, adjust level as necessary

10-12 quarts is a good amount. The Volvo ATF is re-branded Mobil 3309, also branded as Toyota Type IV. Since I'm still under warranty, I used the Volvo stuff (expensive!). If you're not under warranty, use the Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type IV, whichever you can get the cheapest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts