SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post of new member of the R cult!
We just upgraded from an Audi S4 Avant to an '04 V70R, passion red with Blue Met leather. As a metter of fact, I bought the car from a guy that used to post here...

So far there is only one mod on the car - a hardwired V1.

I have a few specific quesions:

1. What is the dome or bulb that is in the ceiling, containing the interior reading lights? It looks like it could contain an interior motion sensor or something? I did not try to pry it open yet, and the manual does not desribe it.

2. Is there anywhere I can see the option codes explained? Trying to figure out if the car has the rain sensor wipers or not. The car does have heated front seats, which I know was a package in later years.

3. Is it possible to retrofit the subwoofer that fits in the cargo floor? Is the car pre-wired?

4. We are planning on putting a Vovlo original child seat in the front seat, is it possible to have a US dealer de-activate the front airbag?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (FastWgn)

Congrats on the car, and welcome to the forum.

1. I think that what you are speaking of houses the moonroof motor. Not sure what exactly you're talking about.

2. If your car has the Climate Package (which you said it does), then it has automatic rain sensors. You can activate it by placing the stalk in what is the "intermittent" position on a vehicle without the CP. The round dial on the wiper stalk will then adjust the sensitivity.

3. Yes. You can purchase the factory subwoofer from your local retailer as an accessory. To my knowledge, all 04 V70 R's were pre-wired for this option (I may be incorrect though).

4. I really don't know about this one. I know it's POSSIBLE to do it, I don't know if Volvo will ALLOW it to be done, however. Also, most states make it illegal to place a childseat in the front seat if the vehicle has a back seat, so you may want to check your local state laws first.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (R Salesman)

Thank you for the welcome!
I'm used to the Audiworld website for Audi related items, so I was very happy to find this one. Based on your answer it sems like it's a simillar positive environment here!

1. It may very well be the sunroof motor, that makes sense. I originally started explroing it to see if I could find switch power there for the V1, but then read about the fuse #20 instead. I always feel a sliver uncomfortable placing a wire up the A pillar when you have a side airbag....

2. Cool - thanks! I wasn't sure if that was the case or if it was just normal intermittent wipers with adjustment. The dark area around the mirror makes it hard to actualyl see the sensor.

3. Slick. Any idea of cost?

4. I read somewhere that as of the '05 model year there is a switch to turn it off - is that correct for US spec cars as well? Maybe there's even a retrofit I can do to add that to the '04 year?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

ALL wagons are prewired for the Volvo subwoofer.
As for disconnecting the airbag. BY LAW, Volvo must disable it if requested.
You must sign some sort of vaiver

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody here that have done the sub upgrade?

Godo news on the sub - thanks. Also checked the Vovlo website and found that it costs $636 as an option. Hopefully individual pricing is sim.

Great news on the airbag issue. Thanks!

Wonder if anybody else have done the sub upgrade? STFA but it seems like the search function isn't 100% healthy...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FastWgn »
4. I read somewhere that as of the '05 model year there is a switch to turn it off - is that correct for US spec cars as well? Maybe there's even a retrofit I can do to add that to the '04 year?

In 05, Volvo introduced the OWS (Occupant Weight Sensor). This activates the passenger front airbag ONLY IF an occupant weighing more than ~75-80 lbs. is in the seat. Could this be retrofittable? Yeah. Would it be cost-effective? Likely not.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

4. We are planning on putting a Vovlo original child seat in the front seat, is it possible to have a US dealer de-activate the front airbag?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Congratulations on the new car.

It's your kid, but I wouldn't be too eager to put my kid in the front seat even with a deactivated airbag. There are copious crash data showing that rear seating positions are safer than front seating positions for most types of crashes. Plus as someone said above, it may cause legal problems (in some states anyway).

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Lee, you're not listening.
Volvo MUST deactivate that airbag per FEDERAL LAW if the owner wants it deactivated.
I'm pretty sure
it's been the law since the middle 90's

As for the SUB, MANY here including myself have the sub, works wonders for the sound system http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »

In 05, Volvo introduced the OWS (Occupant Weight Sensor). This activates the passenger front airbag ONLY IF an occupant weighing more than ~75-80 lbs. is in the seat. Could this be retrofittable? Yeah. Would it be cost-effective? Likely not.

I hear you. Didn't know if it was a weight sensor or a switch

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Lee, you're not listening.

I was listening, and I didn't negate your statement because, frankly, I didn't know what the federal law was/is. My statement was directed toward this comment:

Thus, I was informing him that there is in fact no switch in the 05's that can be retrofitted to 04's.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (kenschel)

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

Congratulations on the new car.

It's your kid, but I wouldn't be too eager to put my kid in the front seat even with a deactivated airbag. There are copious crash data showing that rear seating positions are safer than front seating positions for most types of crashes. Plus as someone said above, it may cause legal problems (in some states anyway).

Your point is well taken, however the problem is that the Vovlo original chair is quite large, and fit best in the front. As you may be aware - there is plenty of evidence that having your children travel rear facing as long as possible is the best solution. Hence, I was planign on using the Vovlo original chair rear facing in teh front seat (which is the way it's done back in Sweden), until the age of 3 or 4.
Or put another way, rear facing in the front is significanly safer than forward facing in the rear.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

As for the SUB, MANY here including myself have the sub, works wonders for the sound system http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Cool! The bass is quite weak in the original setup....

·
Registered
457 Posts

1. What is the dome or bulb that is in the ceiling, containing the interior reading lights? It looks like it could contain an interior motion sensor or something? I did not try to pry it open yet, and the manual does not desribe it.\

I believe you are reffering to the map lights that are directly above the rearview mirror, that houses the switchgear for the sunroof. what you see as the dome is really just a bunch of plastic fascia, if the slits are what your talking about, that would be for the bluetooth handsfree i believe, although not necessarily present,(also in many early models the slits are leftout of the overhead controls)

However, if you are reffereing to the plastic plate behind the sunroof on the ceiling, that would most definetly be for the sunroof motor

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

I'm with kenschell on the car seat NOT going in the front seat. This is a more dangerous position for your child in the event of an accident, rear facing or not. Here are a few specific concerns: [1] The front seats in the S60/V70 cars are designed to move upon impact, so the car seat's position may change during the accident (not good). [2] There are no "LATCH" anchors up front and I know from experience that you will not achieve as secure an installation using the seatbelt only (not good). [3] You won't have an airbag to protect the front passenger if you ever move the car seat to allow another adult to sit up front (not good). [4] You will have to explain yourself to 9 out of 10 angry mothers and grandmothers every time you get out of the car at the grocery store (could be downright dangerous).

This is a very uncommon practice here in the US - in fact, I've never seen the car seat installed in the front of a sedan/wagon. I would go with rear-facing in the back seat with a large mirror on the headrest so parent and child can see one another. Accept a little inconvenience in the interest of safety.
Sorry, I became a father last year and have been a safety freak ever since.

- Tryg

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: New kid on the block - few Qs (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
I'm with kenschell on the car seat NOT going in the front seat. This is a more dangerous position for your child in the event of an accident, rear facing or not. Here are a few specific concerns: [1] The front seats in the S60/V70 cars are designed to move upon impact, so the car seat's position may change during the accident (not good). [2] There are no "LATCH" anchors up front and I know from experience that you will not achieve as secure an installation using the seatbelt only (not good). [3] You won't have an airbag to protect the front passenger if you ever move the car seat to allow another adult to sit up front (not good). [4] You will have to explain yourself to 9 out of 10 angry mothers and grandmothers every time you get out of the car at the grocery store (could be downright dangerous).

This is a very uncommon practice here in the US - in fact, I've never seen the car seat installed in the front of a sedan/wagon. I would go with rear-facing in the back seat with a large mirror on the headrest so parent and child can see one another. Accept a little inconvenience in the interest of safety.
Sorry, I became a father last year and have been a safety freak ever since.

- Tryg

Tryg,

Thanks for your reply. Interestingly enough, we agree on certain points.
The seats do move - but I think it's only the seatback, not the cushion?
The latch is a great system, but not needed in the front, since you attached the seat using the seatbelt AND two straps that a tethered to the floor of the car. I strongly agree that the discussion with angry mothers at the grocery store will be interesting....

The front airbag can always be turned back on if need be, it should be a reversible process. But I agree - for temp usage of the front seat protection is lesser.

Couple of specifics:

1. The car seat is differnt from what you buy here - it's bigger (to fit a larger child). See below link (sadly enough in Swedish, from the Vovlo website).

Volvo's car seat sold in Europe

2. Read the below report from one of the premier experts on child safety in the US, esp page 7.

Car seat safety research by Weber

3. Check out this work done by the largest Swedish insurance company.

Folksam report

Key thing is that they base their research on real accidents, not labroratory results.

Congrats on being a father by the way! I have a 16 month old and a second on the way for August (which is why we sold the S4 Avent in teh first place - no room for two child seats and me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts