SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried all media sources. Tried all volume adjustments. Literally zero volume as in the turn signals don't make noise. Just me and the rattling car:).

Anyone experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Which means I also can't make calls. And I live in a hands free state so I can't use my cell. I really want to love this car but each day I seem to get confirmation that Volvo got ahead of themselves.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Remove the negative terminal, wait a minute, reset the car, drive away. Or have the dealer do it. Like all modern devices, these cars need a reset button and a clear Cmos jumper :)

M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
LOL. I know they exist, funny when I still see them, but I can't remember the last time I actually needed to use one.
Yup, most mobos have them. I just finished a watercooled rig and was OCing it when the bios stored unstable settings, would power on then immediately shutdown. Had to use that jumper for the first time in years.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday. The loss of volume was preceded by a crackling noise coming from the speakers and a distinct smell of ozone. We lost volume to anything that makes sound: radio, turn signals, and all other bells and ringing sounds that the car usually makes. We've had the car since June 3rd and this is the first real issue we've experienced. :(

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday. The loss of volume was preceded by a crackling noise coming from the speakers and a distinct smell of ozone. We lost volume to anything that makes sound: radio, turn signals, and all other bells and ringing sounds that the car usually makes. We've had the car since June 3rd and this is the first real issue we've experienced. :(
If there was a distinct smell right when it happened, I believe another poster a short while ago had the same problem and it was an audio amp meltdown and it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If there was a distinct smell right when it happened, I believe another poster a short while ago had the same problem and it was an audio amp meltdown and it needed to be replaced.
Thank you, pattyweb. I was afraid of something like that. We took it to our dealership yesterday and still have not heard anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what does ozone smell like?... and how do you know?
Brandeeno, in reference to your first question, the ozone smell I'm referring to is the one commonly associated with the formation of ozone (O3) from oxygen (O2) by electrical charges. The resulting smell is sometimes compared to that of the smell of chlorine but with a slightly more metallic note. You could also say it smells similar to what you would find in a room full of photocopiers. This smell is not to be confused with the ozone smell that some people notice after it rains. That smell is also as a result of ozone production, however it is more earthy or musky in odor due to the presence of bacteria called Actinomycetes.

As for your second question, I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking...??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the "global reset" feature in the system menu and that didn't work. I am scheduled to drop it off for service on Monday. I want to have them work on all the rattles anyhow so this gives me a reason to bring it in. They couldn't do it tomorrow because the techs had "class" on the new software update. So maybe I'll be able to get that too. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yup, most mobos have them. I just finished a watercooled rig and was OCing it when the bios stored unstable settings, would power on then immediately shutdown. Had to use that jumper for the first time in years.

M

I remember using jumper then dip switches to set the multiplier on the cpu and bus speed, squeeze every Mhz out of it without locking up on the post.

To the OP sounds like your amp is cooked, do you have the upgraded stereo.??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it's the B&W. I'll tell the tech to start there. I love this forum thank you guys. I didn't smell anything when it first happened but I did the next morning. I used to be an after market stereo hobbiest and know that smell all too well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a call from the dealer today. They spoke to Volvo corporate and said the "no volume" issue is a known defect and as someone here said has to do with a blown amplifier. They told me not to bring the car in Monday because they ordered a "new stereo system" and will call me when they have it.

I hope this doesn't become more widespread.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Got a call from the dealer today. They spoke to Volvo corporate and said the "no volume" issue is a known defect and as someone here said has to do with a blown amplifier. They told me not to bring the car in Monday because they ordered a "new stereo system" and will call me when they have it.

I hope this doesn't become more widespread.

That sucks. But at least you know what it is. Also, on the bright side, since it was a factory stereo system it's covered under warranty. If you'd installed an aftermarket upgraded system, you'd be paying for labor at a minimum even if the parts were still under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts