SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 S60R

A new issue surfaced last night where the trunk will only open with the actual key.

- the remote does not work to unlock the trunk (opens all doors)
- the lock/unlock button on the driver's door does not unlock the trunk (opens all doors)
- pressing on the release "handle/pad" on the trunk does not open the trunk (no sound from the lock disengaging either)
- must use key in the trunk lock to open the trunk

However, while the trunk is open (up in the air) and the release "handle/pad" on the trunk is pressed, then the lock disengage sound can be heard. Cannot be heard when trunk is closed.

Anyone experience this issue before?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Check the valet lock button near the bottom of your center console. next to the rear headrest release button. Ive done that on accident before lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check the connection by the left side tail light green connector make sure there's no Broken wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Check the valet lock button near the bottom of your center console. next to the rear headrest release button. Ive done that on accident before lol.
Thanks - I was hoping it was as simple as that but I checked it this morning and that didn't help.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the wire suggestions - will check on that. If the wire was broken would that affect the operation of the lock differently while the trunk is open versus closed? When the trunk is closed and I press the rubber pad there is no response or sound but when I press the same pad when the trunk is open/raised the normal unlock sound can be heard (whirring/click).

If there is a broken wire then wouldn't there be no response whether the trunk is open or closed?

·
Registered
709 Posts
broken wire that when the trunk is open still makes contact. When it's twisted (trunk closed) no longer makes contact.

Quite probable and I've seen it in a few S60s.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, interesting! Ok will look into this - thanks all!

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Ah, interesting! Ok will look into this - thanks all!
The gooseneck where the harness goes into the trunk, follow the wire right up the rubber gasket on the left side of the trunk panel. It's more than likely that the connection is broken there. Try opening the trunk and wiggle the wire from there and simultaneously hit unlock to verify if it's a broken connection. You may need to remove the liner from that panel for better access.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gooseneck where the harness goes into the trunk, follow the wire right up the rubber gasket on the left side of the trunk panel. It's more than likely that the connection is broken there. Try opening the trunk and wiggle the wire from there and simultaneously hit unlock to verify if it's a broken connection. You may need to remove the liner from that panel for better access.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Broken wire bit me as well. Replaced the harness and no more issues.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a wire that is plugged into the panel in the trunk on the driver side (behind carpet trim) and goes through the rubber gasket up to the release mechanism on the trunk lid correct? Did you replace that whole wire with the connectors?

I took the carpet trim off, inspected the wire, unplugged it and plugged it back in, "greased" the lock mechanism, and now it works. It may be a broken wire and moving it temporarily fixed the break (or the connector may have been loose) so I'll wait and see if it stops working again.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have seen this multiple times including in my R and my brothers 2.5t. Both times I got a trunk wiring harness out of an s60 at my local junk yard for $2.50 and swapped them and it solved the issue both times.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have a part number handy for the wire harness? Couldn't find it on FCP or Tasca.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone remember the part number? The dealer parts desk was trying to tell me I needed the lock itself but I think the wire harness is separate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts