SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a used 2006 s60R, $6500 with 93k miles, manual gearbox, and a rebuilt title. It had a front end collision that totaled the car due to the cost of the body repairs. I've had a few people who's opinion I trust look at the car and say the engines in good shape.

Now I've run into a problem over the last few days. about 99% of the time, it'll start, idle, and run just fine. I'll drive about 15 - 30 minutes, then park. Once I start it again after a bit, the engine dies almost immediately after getting in gear. The more I let off the clutch the harder it is to keep the RPMs up. Then Today (although it was sitting all night below freezing) It took about 10 minutes to actually get it to start and idle.
After doing a bit of searching and asking around, I'm thinking it could be the mass airflow sensor. Either a leak somewhere is throwing the MAF off, or the MAF itself is dirty. Now I've already ordered a new timing belt and set of pulleys for some preventative maintenance, then bought some MAF cleaner and TB cleaner. I also ran an OBDII reader to pull any codes and got the following..

I did some searching on the second code, and it looked like It's saying the turbo is running on a low boost. So am I on the right track, or just completely missing the mark? I don't know as much as I'd like, engine-wise, But I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can mostly maintain this car on my own, I'm completely new to volvos, but I fell in love with this car as soon as I came across it. So any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like you may have an intake leak. The car won't run right if you have a big vacuum leak. I would inspect all the intake hoses as well as the charge pipe firstly to rule it out, also the vacuum lines. Have the engine idling and peer around to try to find any hisses.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll give it a good look around and post some updates. I finally got my timing belt kit so I'll look around while I'm in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep, sounds like a large vacuum leak. Maybe intercoolers damaged in the collision?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update! Finally. I was right about the MAFS. Disconnected it and the engine starts, idles, and runs fine. I've got some MAF cleaner, so hopefully that will fix the issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What part of a previously wrecked, 10 year old car is "newish" :confused:
"Newer and in better condition than my 93 Honda" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts