SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! Been a while since I posted but I'm back!

I'm looking at the new iPd tune for my 2011 XC60 T6. It looks like a straightforward option compared to others out there. Does anyone have experience with the new product yet? I've always been a fan of their tunes compared to others options available in the marketplace.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I’m sure the results will be good but keep in mind your car will have to be out of commission while you remove and send them your ECU to be remapped. You’d likely have to keep your car off the road for a week or so, which doesn’t work for people who rely on their P3 as their daily.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A concern for sure, but luckily COVID times have me working remote. Overnight shipping costs seem to have dropped a bit over the years too which I might consider to expedite the repair.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Post your review if you do get it done!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go for it! iPd tunes have always treated me well so I'm pretty excited about it. I pulled out the ECU tonight, super easy. Trim tool was all I needed to pop off the cowl cover and pull the ECU out, took no more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'm definitely curious, the gains look solid. The only reason I'd still want P* is because it sharpens up the transmission as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welp, I didn't end up shipping the ECU out until yesterday afternoon. USPS is letting me down and saying that it's going to take until Thursday to be delivered 😡. FedEx is usually overnight for SEA>PDX, I'll remember that for next time. Very excited to get the tune back and see how it changes things. I'll pay close attention to transmission performance, I've noticed that it's a bit sluggish when it's cold in stock form but I suppose that's to be expected.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tuning department reached out to me today to let me know that my ECU arrived safely. They will follow up tomorrow to confirm the upgrade was successful and to confirm a return shipping address. I’m so excited! Hopefully I'll be cruising in style with more HP by the weekend!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Exciting! It’s great that the process seems to be moving rather quickly! Establishing consistently fast turnaround times will be one of the most important aspects for this tuning option being successful.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Nice! If ipd was open Saturday I'd be tempted to run by and do this....
Would make the long road trip from Seattle to Bend and back, more enjoyable

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ECU showed up back at my home a couple days after they confirmed receipt, I got email notifications on tracking too.

So after some delays on my end but I finally got around to installing the ECU back in the car yesterday....HOLY FVCKING SH*T!! Power increase is substantial and very noticeable, delivery is much more linear than I expected. The thing I enjoy most is that it still feels stock. There's not that slap in the face of power you get with a big turbo and high PSI tune, this is still very usable. The roll-on power on a freeway cruise is super fun.

This is the first time I've put a tune into a 100% stock car (previously had a manual swapped S70 T5 stage 3 and an S60R with the full compliment of iPd treats) and I couldn't be happier. The only thing I'm afraid of now is spending more money on mods for this car 🤣.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice!! Did you have Polestar tune prior to this? So, once they received it, how long did it take them before they mailed it back to you? Any other observations with this tune?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interested to hear if 1st gear is night and day different vs the stock limited configuration. (The stock tune limits torque from reading on here a while back if I recall correctly...)

First mod going to be the do88 intercooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice!! Did you have Polestar tune prior to this? So, once they received it, how long did it take them before they mailed it back to you? Any other observations with this tune?
I did not have any tune on this car prior to this one.
They had the ECU for just a couple of days, the turn around was great. If only I could have executed sooner :(

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interested to hear if 1st gear is night and day different vs the stock limited configuration. (The stock tune limits torque from reading on here a while back if I recall correctly...)

First mod going to be the do88 intercooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only taken one drive but first gear pull was really strong. I'll have to check it out again tomorrow.

I'm thinking downpipe/exhaust if I get into it. Smarter money is on Bilsteins and sway bars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to hear that you are happy with the tune. I have been eyeing that for my 2.5L T5 so I can have the performance of the T6 without the pricetag:) Do you need to run premium fuel with it now? I know the P* requires it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What an archaic process to install a tune :( .. A few years ago I installed a tune from Autotech - procured via a group buy through Elevate - on my XC70 and it came with an "ECMTUNE" OBD-II interface and software to connect this to a laptop. The first step was to connect the program to the OBD-II port via this interface and extract a number of operating parameters for my specific car, which were e-mailed to Autotech. The actual tune was then customized for my vehicle and e-mailed to me. After loading the file on the ECMTUNE database, it was a simple process of connecting the laptop to the OBD-II port again, and update the ECM. This took no more than a few minutes ... and it made a backup of the standard ECM software as well, if for whatever reason one needed to restore it.

Zero downtime ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts