SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. As some of you know, I was a tech at a popular indy here in MA for about 12yrs. In all honesty, It was a great job that afforded me the flexibility I needed while attending Berklee College of Music/ touring life-style. Well, I parted ways with said shop last September (on bad terms but will not disparage the shop publicly) and new that there was gonna be a time that I had to pay someone else to work on my car when it came to big jobs

Fast-forward to this week and my 04 VR's slave cylinder starting to squeal and leak brake fluid. I had to find someone to do it as I just won't do stuff like that on jack stands. I don't need the imprint of the 6MT on my forehead, or to possibly hurt my delicate and dainty musician hands :p . I started asking my dealer tech friends if they wanted the side-job and found that the best quotes for the labor (I get a wholesale discount from my parts guy) were around $1,200. One of my service writer friends offered to cut the dealer rate from $110/hr to $80/hr. for the book time of 15hrs. etc....
On a recommendation from another dealership tech buddy I contacted Dave Kaplan of RAVE Imports who is a dealership tech by day. I called him up, asked if I supplied the parts what would the labor be? $600!!!!!! then he offered to pick me or the car up and drop off when done. Got the car back and he did the clutch, PP, slave with new vent tube, resurfaced DM flywheel, inspected RM seal, bled system, replaced a link(that I provided) and the LF axle seal (I provided) all for the $600. Car drives great, and shows no signs of his being there in or out of the car. I don't think I can give a higher recommendation!
I asked him if it was alright with him if I broadcast his pricing publicly here to which he said "That would be great! I love the work!"
So, IMHO, if you're in MA/NH/RI/CT you should try Dave (and his tech partner, didn't meet him) @ RAVE Imports 113 Fayette St. Lynn, MA 01902 Dave Kaplan's number is (603) 380-8057 HALF the labor price, and cool with you supplying your own parts= win/win!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Good to know! I got a guy thatll do it for 500$ :) but its always good to have someone else to go to.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Good to know. It's a bit of a drive from the city, but I've been dreading the clutch/flywheel/slave bill, and that price is great. Almost makes me want to rip out my clunky DM flywheel right now. You think he's open to aftermarket parts and non-conventional repairs for R specific issues (like putting in a single mass flywheel)?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Friggin' sold, you can tell him to expect me later this year when my clutch decides to blow up. Now what to choose for parts ;).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!: So, sadly there was a failure of the new slave cylinder in my car that roasted my new clutch, PP. RAVE Imports, without hesitation picked up my car and re-did the whole job and returned it with a smile. How's THAT for standing by your customer! They rule.

·
Registered
117 Posts
now thats some excellent service. I could not fault a shop for refusing to redo a job that they (I'm assuming) did correctly when a customer supplied part failed. The fact that they were willing to take it right back and get you back on the road is a true testament to awesome customer service.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
awesome!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guess I know where I'll be taking my R (once I've got it) when I need serious work done. Fortunately I'm only about 20 miles away :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally. Like I said, as a former tech, I can't speak more highly about Dave and Ryan's work and service!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts