SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my oil changed today and got a case (10pack) of German Castrol 0w-30 prior to heading there. I just realized there's only 3 quarts left... I figured they would look it up and see 6.1 qts as capacity. After calling him he said he put in a full 7 to get it to the full mark.

question is: should I take it back and have a half quart drained out or will I be ok running 7qts for the next 7000 miles?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
keep your eye on the dip stick for a few days. if its over, take some out. He probably started putting oil back in before plugging the drain(lol i hope not haha) but you never know. 2qts later he realized. I dont know if its physically possible to put two extra quarts in there without it indicating on the dipstick that theres way to much.

edit: or at least drain it into a container that will allow you to re-use it in case you do actually need it. either way, thats like 10$ worth of oil :mad:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have them take the filter off drain reinstall. Does the car have an oil cooler? Pull a line and drain a qt.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Did he spill it on the engine? Check under the cover lol.. If the dip stick says fine then it went somewhere else.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
He charged you for a full quart for the little amount needed over 6 quarts. You probably are not over filled.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well then just keep an eye on the level, obviously it isn't outrageously overfilled.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
oh god, i read that all wrong... my mistake. 1 extra qt is fine, dont even mess with it..
I skim read it and thought he put two extra qts in the engine somehow.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I saw one thread a few weeks ago someone put 10qt in their engine so apparently there's enough room for at least 10.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I saw one thread a few weeks ago someone put 10qt in their engine so apparently there's enough room for at least 10.

Yes, there is room for at least 10 quarts.

I worked on an S40 T5 for a "low oil light came on" complaint. I drove the car to see if the light would come on. It did not. I did notice on hard acceleration it smoked awful out of the tailpipes.

Back in my bay when I checked the oil level it appeared to be double the full marks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I used an extractor to suck oil out the dipstick tube until the oil level came down to full. I had sucked out about 6 quarts of oil before the oil level was correct. So that car had at least 12 quarts in it.

Apparently, the owner had added oil when the low oil level light came on and didn't know when to stop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, there is room for at least 10 quarts.

I worked on an S40 T5 for a "low oil light came on" complaint. I drove the car to see if the light would come on. It did not. I did notice on hard acceleration it smoked awful out of the tailpipes.

Back in my bay when I checked the oil level it appeared to be double the full marks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I used an extractor to suck oil out the dipstick tube until the oil level came down to full. I had sucked out about 6 quarts of oil before the oil level was correct. So that car had at least 12 quarts in it.

Apparently, the owner had added oil when the low oil level light came on and didn't know when to stop.
Low oil light = out of oil, obviously!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Haha so when you have a low oil light, that means you add oil until you personally are low on oil? I love people stories haha

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I almost routinely put 7 quarts in - I've found that if I put 6 quarts in, the dipstick still reads low. It's always annoyed me how much damn oil this car takes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts