SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here. I just picked up a '98 S70. I was wanting to get straight what I need as in for fluids. What oil and trans fluid you guys use. Are there any problems that are regular for these cars. Anything I should be looking out for? Thank you for any information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: New Here! (michaelDot)

Welcome

I had a 98 S70 GLT w/ 148k when I sold it. I ran mobil 1 synthetic trans and oil fluids. The only problem I had were I had to replace two axel shafts. According to my indy. volvo mech. I was the only one he ever had to do that for

That was the only major repair. Basically I just did the regular service and enjoyed it.

Good luck hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: New Here! (michaelDot)

Quote, originally posted by michaelDot »
Are there any problems that are regular for these cars. Anything I should be looking out for? Thank you for any information.
Well, you just opend a can of worms but I'm tired from the heat so I'll let someone else answer.
We need to know the mileage of your car for answers to your question

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (michaelDot)

A lot of stuff has probably been replaced by now

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Front and rear suspension, but mostly front (struts, strut mounts, spring seats and swaybar endlinks).
Motor mounts, especially the top rear (round one), and often times the one under the passenger side rear (under timing belt area).
A/C...hope it works...if not, you could be in for a very expensive evaporator replacement ($1500 seems average now at the dealer...less, but not much less at an indy). Try charging it first...avoid anything with sealants or additives....it's easy to access and much cheaper than an evap if it will hold gas for several weeks at a time.
PCV system will definitely need replacing...if it hasn't already been done...sort of a pain...the intake manifold has to come out. If it's not done, the excessive pressure will begin causing engine seals to leak oil....costly when the rear goes.
About time the MAF and both 02 sensors to go if they haven't already....sort of high but under $200 each and easy to do yourself.

That's about it...some quirky stuff that goes on some and not on others, like the secondary air blower (under the battery tray), a locked up glove box (several cheap fixes out there), and bubbling door panels (no good replacement...will have to take them off to have re-upholstered to look nice again).

Change your Timing Belt every 70K miles or your engine will be toast when it breaks. Change your TB tensioner, roller and pulley every other change. Serpentine or service belt is suppose to be at 60K miles but most wait and do it with the TB as it has to come off for the TB anyway. It also has a tensioner that should be replaced every 2nd change. Other than that the water pump and wp gasket....some change it at 2nd TB change but others wait until the 3rd. For most, it begins leaking slightly by 200K miles or so....they usually don't "just go," but develop leaks first. If your TB hasn't been changed yet at 150K miles, don't delay...do it tomorrow.

I totally agree with Mobil-1 oil and transmission fluid in an auto tranny. Do the tranny "full flush" every 30K miles or so if you want to keep your transmission. With oil changes, use Mann or Volvo filters. Avoid the cheap ones at AutoZone or PepBoys...they're different. Also make sure and use a aluminum washer on the oil pan....if you use copper or nothing at all, you'll ruin your soft aluminum threads in your oil pan.

Good prices at http://www.fcpgroton.com for most of your Volvo parts and needs.
Great write-up's on the how-to's can be found at http://www.volvospeed.com in the repair/maintenance section. I recommend reading up here even if you don't plan on doing your own maintenance. This way you'll know if someone is trying to rip you off at the dealer or indy and you'll be knowlegeable enough to speak the same language as them anyway.

Good luck and enjoy your new S70!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

All good advice.
It would be helpful (to you) if you can scour up some service and previous repair records.
Do NOT dilly dally on the Timing belt. If there is no T Belt change sticker on the engine, change it and clean out the PVC and breather box. If it breaks, good bye engine.
Cheap (ish
) insurance
Check for oil leaks

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Hey JRL...know you're tired so I won't give you such a hard time, but it's PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and not PVC (polyvinyl chloride) as in the plastic like suits that look oh so nice on the ladies....

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Welcome to SS and volvos. I see you're in Indianapolis. We've got a local club that's a chapter of the volvo club of america. We'd love to meet you and have you join us for club events. We've got another member with a '98 S70 and he's very knowledgable about cars. We've also got a website: http://www.hoosiervolvo.com so check us out.

We actually just met last week so we're planning something for the fall probably in zionsville....tentatively to be called volvos in the village.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MadeInJapan »
Hey JRL...know you're tired so I won't give you such a hard time, but it's PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and not PVC (polyvinyl chloride) as in the plastic like suits that look oh so nice on the ladies....
Did I write that?.... heat stroke

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Did I write that?.... heat stroke
hehe...know where your mind was.

None-the-less, a big welcome to michaelDot

·
Registered
54 Posts

Hey guys,
I had a question along the same lines; I have a 99 S70 with 163K miles. I don't know if the tranny has been flushed ever and the oil is a dark brown. I took it to a local tranny shop that has worked on many volvo's in the past and the owner advised me not to have it flushed. His reasoning is that if it hasn't been flushed regularly, and I am not having issues with it, then flushing might cause problems. He said he would do it if I wanted to, but he wouldn't recommend it.

I haven't done it yet and am not having problems with the tranny; just am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: (gs1397)

You might try the drain and fill method and do a little at a time if you're concerned, and not the full flush that is often advocated. But, the dark brown tranny fluid is not good for your transmission, so I vote a yes to some type of fluid replacement, even if it's over time. In regards to type of ATF, you need to consult your owner's manual. With 5 speed auto transmissions, you can't just use Dextron/Mercron or even Mobil-1 synthetic, and yours may have this. If it does, you have to use Volvo's own special ATF or Mobil-3309 ATF (same thing). Not sure if yours has the 5 speed or 4 speed A-W tranny or not (gear shift goes up to 4 and then "Drive" for 5 speed...up to 3 and then "Drive" for 4 speed). Transmissions were 4 speed until '98, or maybe even '99 and then went to 5 speed, so all newer Volvo's require the #3309 fluid. Hope this helps. Whatever you do check to make sure what your transmission requires before allowing anyone to flush it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

He has a 99, he can use the "old stuff" or Mobil 1 synthetic.
3309 is for the 5 speeds, (probably is fine for his too but why spend the extra money)?

·
Registered
5 Posts

is the timing belt change sticker ALWAYS placed on the engine when one has been replaced? My '98 V70 (77k miles when i got it) has all the dealer stamps in the service manual/book. I haven't noticed a sticker on the engine though. Am I safe? Is there another way to check? I got the used v70 from a volvo dealer, and the car itself was a trade-in from a single owner who seems to have maintained it well.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (brandnewsean)

Quote, originally posted by brandnewsean »
is the timing belt change sticker ALWAYS placed on the engine when one has been replaced? My '98 V70 (77k miles when i got it) has all the dealer stamps in the service manual/book. I haven't noticed a sticker on the engine though. Am I safe? Is there another way to check? I got the used v70 from a volvo dealer, and the car itself was a trade-in from a single owner who seems to have maintained it well.

Volvo dealers are supposed to.
If you have all the dealer stamps, it't a matter of a phone call and ask them to look up the bill to verify yes or no on the T-Belt.
No, you're not safe until you know.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

Right...make sure the VIN# and the maintenance book match too. I've seen where a car didn't have it, so someone threw one in the glove box from the ample supply of "old" ones they evidently have stashed at some dealers. The sticker is actually not placed "on" the engine but on the ECU or computer box, or in some cases on the timing belt cover. JRL makes good sense. Give the dealer the VIN# and have them look up the service history. You want to make ABSOLUTELY certain when you're talking about a timing belt and a fwd Volvo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.