SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Long story short, I'm looking to get something smaller and more fun than what I drive now to bring to school with me. Last year, I had a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, they aren't really designed to be owned by human beings; in the six weeks I had it, it caught on fire, threw a CEL about five separate times, had a valve cover gasket replacement, and a new cat. This sort of turned me off getting another Audi. Its life was cut short when my best friend plowed into it with his Dodge Ram -- the car was totaled.

Our family (well, not me) does a bunch of stuff with horses, so I've been driving our 2006 Jeep Commander for over a year that we use as our tow rig. It's nice, but it gets about 10mpg(!) in the city, which is where I do most of my driving. Plus it's no fun.

I've been looking at lots of things: VWs, Saabs, and even a C30. This process has taken about six months, and I had intended to buy a car quite a while ago. Finally, I went to a dealer in Greensboro last Saturday to check out a 2006 S60R in silver (Titanium Metallic?) on Nordkap with the Geartronic. Forgive me for not learning all the lingo yet, but I've been lurking for the last couple weeks and I haven't caught onto all of it yet. Here are some crappy pics from the dealer's website:

It's got 74k miles and appears to have been pretty well-maintained. The dealership is asking $14,500, which doesn't seem like a bad price, from the research I've done. The 60k service was done at a Volvo dealer (We had them call the previous owner's dealer that they used and check) and the car actually has a powertrain warranty on it until 100k.

That said, I just had a couple of questions:
-- I read about the "exhaust bracket of death". That'll be the first to go if it's still on, but is there anything else simple to do that most R owners do once they get their cars?
-- This is a really stupid question, but the car has nav and I couldn't find the button to get the damn screen up. Where is it? (By the way, this is great. I hate nav screens being the audio controls too. I love the R's separate audio controls.)

I've been lurking for a while, and this seems like a great forum. Hopefully I'll be able to be a part of it for a long time, as this thing has to last me through college and beyond!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nav controls are on the back side of the steering wheel and are operated with the right hand. Kinda funky but you get used to them.

Looks like it has an aftermarket grill... be sure to inspect for other aftermarket "goodies"

Good luck with the purchase!

·
6,436 Posts
- I say demand an OEM grille - those things cost close to $300
- the car does appear to be lowered; try to beat the price by claiming the the existing shocks have been worn out by aftermarket springs; each chock is $600 at the dealer
- the GPS is a bubble that sticks out of the center speaker. The controls are in the back of the steering wheel

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:D thanks! I can't tell if it has the 17s or optional 18s... I forgot to check.

Nav controls are on the back side of the steering wheel and are operated with the right hand. Kinda funky but you get used to them.

Looks like it has an aftermarket grill... be sure to inspect for other aftermarket "goodies"

Good luck with the purchase!
Weird. I just couldn't get the screen to pop up. I noticed the aftermarket grill and that'd be nice if someone had already done some mods. Aside from a stupid sunroof visor thingy and a trailer hitch for a bike rack, there wasn't anything I could see.

- I say demand an OEM grille - those things cost close to $300
- the car does appear to be lowered; try to beat the price by claiming the the existing shocks have been worn out by aftermarket springs; each chock is $600 at the dealer
- the GPS is a bubble that sticks out of the center speaker. The controls are in the back of the steering wheel

Good luck
Now that you mention it, the wheel gap does look a little bit lower than it should be. Unfortunately, I did my research AFTER I went out to see the car a week ago, so I forgot to play with the Four-C very much. I think it works, though; there was a difference between Comfort and Sport and there were no error messages on the dash or anything. As for the OEM grille and shocks, I'll see what I can do. I don't think they know very much about what they're selling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is your friends ram totalled? :) I need a rear seat hook and a few bolts for it lol...

nice R!
No, it isn't. Which honestly sucks, because he's my friend but I would still have to say he deserved it. He was weaving all over the road following me to his house, fooling around, and T-boned me as I turned into his driveway.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG 4x4 status!!1 Actually, I don't see a whole lot of point in going terribly low. Speed bumps are prevalent both here and on the campus of where I'll be going to school. I'm sure the mod bug will change my mind though.

Really nice car, by the way. I wish mine would have the more prominent spoiler. Also, did you paint the B-pillar trim?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
OMG 4x4 status!!1 Actually, I don't see a whole lot of point in going terribly low. Speed bumps are prevalent both here and on the campus of where I'll be going to school. I'm sure the mod bug will change my mind though.

Really nice car, by the way. I wish mine would have the more prominent spoiler. Also, did you paint the B-pillar trim?
$25K and its yours.

I got my spoiler at carID.com, it was like $160 painted and shipped.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Look no further...

http://www.vivaperformance.com/exterior/

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
looks lowered, aftermarket grille, nav controls are above the volume controls on the steering wheel(behind it) or a controller for it should be in your car somewhere. pegs are definitely 18s, may be peg reps, can't tell because I'm on my phone. looks nice though

Sent from my Air Portable

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks lowered, aftermarket grille, nav controls are above the volume controls on the steering wheel(behind it) or a controller for it should be in your car somewhere. pegs are definitely 18s, may be peg reps, can't tell because I'm on my phone. looks nice though

Sent from my Air Portable
Thanks for the link. Looks like they basically have the OEM sport kit for sale in little bits too.

I remembered something else-- it has aftermarket tint. Nothing crazy, but I live in NC and it gets unbearable when you leave your car in a parking lot.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
doesn't look lowered to me, it could be the angle of the shot making it appear lower. The left front looks lower than right, but these are pictures and it can be hard to tell. Just be sure to check the shocks to make sure they aren't leaking before taking it.

I'd actually look for fluids on rear haldex unit and leaking angle gear- Though with warranty it's probably not as crucial-sounds like CPO. Maybe the volvo dealer would be willing to give you a print out of work done there. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do oil change asap and give a trusted mechanic a once over on it as well.

enjoy!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts