SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! First post here. I've been driving a POS GM-Era Saab I bought a couple years ago had racked up quite a list of little fixes and a few bigger needed-repairs, so instead of putting any money into her, I found another car through a family friend who buys at auction.

I know it's not anything fast or fun, but I needed a safe medium to full sized wagon with ample space for a growing family and a dog that had less than 90k miles and that fell somewhere south of $7k. Oh, and it had to have a manual transmission. This fit that to a 'T' and I've always admired the classic wagon style of the V70. (and I'm 1/4 Swedish...)

2003 Volvo V70, 2.4L na, 5spd :bigthumb: I guess these are somewhat rare with a manual, so while I'm not a huge fan of dark blue, I had to spring for her considering she only had 80k miles. According to found receipts under the seat, it lived the last part of its life in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and found itself in a collision, so it was totaled out. It cost me more to fix it than to buy it, but I still got maybe 30-40% discount off of what a used car lot would ask when it was all said and done. Drives like a dream. Seats are superbly comfortable, as everyone had told me they would be. I was worried the n/a engine (168hp/166tq) wouldn't be enough for the 3300 car, but with the 5spd it seems ample enough.

I took the buffing wheel to her today. She's not perfect, but shines up nice :D

Before repair:

After

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful V70, could use some forever black or similar product to restore the trim and maybe fix the exhaust looks like maybe just a hanger, but other than that looks like it just drove straight out of the show room!
Thanks! I put some Mothers Back to Black on the trim, but it didn't take all the gray out. The exhaust looked normal to me, but I don't have a trained eye for these cars (yet). I'll have to get under there and take a peek. I'm torn on whether or not I should take the 'clear-bra' off the front fascia of the car. It's all cracked, so if I were sure it wouldn't take clearcoat with it, I'd pull it. My worry is that since there are already a couple small spots where the clearcoat is clouding up higher on the hood, I might damage or pull up the clearcoat under the plastic clear-bra when I pull it up.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
You'll be okay pulling off the clear bra since the paint underneath has been protected from the elements. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up and CAREFULLY remove it. It does take some experimenting. Make sure you have some 3M adhesive remover for the gooey residue. Other than that, it's not a terribly difficult process. Just tedious. Had to do this on our 2001 Volvo S80, but since our clear bra was faded and cracked (having even changed color), the paint underneath the clearbra was a slightly different hue from the paint on the rest of the car. One would have to look very carefully to see the color difference, however.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It buffed right out! :D

You did a very nice job

·
Banned
182 Posts
Hey all! First post here. I've been driving a POS GM-Era Saab I bought a couple years ago had racked up quite a list of little fixes and a few bigger needed-repairs, so instead of putting any money into her, I found another car through a family friend who buys at auction.

I know it's not anything fast or fun, but I needed a safe medium to full sized wagon with ample space for a growing family and a dog that had less than 90k miles and that fell somewhere south of $7k. Oh, and it had to have a manual transmission. This fit that to a 'T' and I've always admired the classic wagon style of the V70. (and I'm 1/4 Swedish...)

2003 Volvo V70, 2.4L na, 5spd :bigthumb: I guess these are somewhat rare with a manual, so while I'm not a huge fan of dark blue, I had to spring for her considering she only had 80k miles. According to found receipts under the seat, it lived the last part of its life in Tewksbury, Massachusetts and found itself in a collision, so it was totaled out. It cost me more to fix it than to buy it, but I still got maybe 30-40% discount off of what a used car lot would ask when it was all said and done. Drives like a dream. Seats are superbly comfortable, as everyone had told me they would be. I was worried the n/a engine (168hp/166tq) wouldn't be enough for the 3300 car, but with the 5spd it seems ample enough.

I took the buffing wheel to her today. She's not perfect, but shines up nice :D

Before repair:

After

Looks like you bought it from Copart..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful V70, could use some forever black or similar product to restore the trim and maybe fix the exhaust looks like maybe just a hanger, but other than that looks like it just drove straight out of the show room!
Yeah it's a rusted-out and broken hanger that's attached to the muffler. I took a peak and some metal strapping will fix it well enough.

You'll be okay pulling off the clear bra since the paint underneath has been protected from the elements. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up and CAREFULLY remove it. It does take some experimenting. Make sure you have some 3M adhesive remover for the gooey residue. Other than that, it's not a terribly difficult process. Just tedious. Had to do this on our 2001 Volvo S80, but since our clear bra was faded and cracked (having even changed color), the paint underneath the clearbra was a slightly different hue from the paint on the rest of the car. One would have to look very carefully to see the color difference, however.
I've got a couple pieces of the clear-bra off. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't cracked. With light heat and a gentle hand, it pulls off nicely without leaving a residue... until you hit a crack, which is every few millimeters, so it's so damn annoying.

Looks like you bought it from Copart..
Yup! I'd only purchased a scooter from them previously, and that went well enough. My family friend buys cars from them frequently, so I let him coach me through it, which pretty much amounted to finding a car that was certified, "runs and drives" and wasn't too far away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts