SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I bought a dice, but not sure if this a bad clone or bricked version.
Installing software versions 2010D, 2011D and 2012A are going fine, and no problems.
But when connecting the Dice, it comes with found new hardware "CP2102 USB to Uart Bridge controller" Supplier told me that is correct and gave me a link to download a driver, but of course it doesn't work. Another worrying point is that the Firmware led status is continues red. This means that there is a serious problem with the dice.

Tried very hard to find any one else with this and only found 1 in Russia and 1 in Poland with this problem, what I understand from the translation in my browser is that it seems there are good clones and some bad clones out and someone mentioned how to find the difference and explained as follow.

I do not know the method to check this without opening the housing.
From my experience, the DiCE clone (functionally compatible with the original part but physically based on a different PCB design and manufactured by other components) with plenty of mistakes to mess up vida logos and make connectivity issues with the car.

Pre confirmed that interfaces which have a green diode Vehicle Interface Status (original and clone `PCB-based LED Teleca is orange) sitting as the photo album Colleague Teleswor http://imageshack.us/g/1/9878672/. that is, one that does not update properly using the firmware packages eg VolvoTechInfo.

I wonder how it is even possible that this clone works. There are basic elements in the form of ADUM1402 insulator which is part of providing insulation between a CAN bus interface circuit. Besides, as I see works on the "slower" when DSP 16BIT DiCE original works on 32bit CPU

- Besides finding the correct driver, I wonder if this is another cheap clone and perhaps better not to use on my car?

Any other advice or suggestions very welcome.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It seems like you do not have a DiCE clone, but some other kind of interface pretending to be a DiCE.
A real DiCE or a clone should not use any USB to UART interface. Instead it is using a chip to connect USB more directly to the CPU bus. NET2272.

Any kind of interface combined with a working driver that has the same functions as a real or clone DiCE can in theory work with Vida.

The interface in your picture is quite similar to a real/clone DiCE, but not quite. That is a bit strange.
The CPU and most important chips are on the other side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rkam, the picture is not mine, i have not opened it, it was something i found related to my CP2102...driver. Seems to me that your right, because it did not find the 'Dice' as I have seen in the many installation manuals on the net, in combination with my Firmware red led i am really worried now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Received today the replacement dice, again same situation, asking for the driver and firmware led is continues RED, could any 1 please let me know about this red firmware status, if it is a bricked dice or broke, or do I need to connect it to the car to see this status changed???

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
So I just ran into this issue as well. No matter what I did I couldn't get the DICE to connect in Windows 7. Installed it in XP mode and it asked for a CP2102 USB to UART Bridge controller driver, which it didn't find. I ended up downloading the driver from http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx and low and behold it worked.

The DICE unit I got has the same behavior, the firmware status light is solid all the time, instead of blinking like it should. It's also blue instead of multi-colored. I'm guessing this is why the unit was only $97, but at least it works now. Only took 10-15 hours of messing around with...hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just got a used Chinese DiCE. Inside mine looks exactly like this guys (3r1k) here: http://i39.tinypic.com/2uzwa5d.jpg Have you had yours apart? Does it look like this? I saw mine read codes when I bought the car. That was a year ago and I never needed to use it. Now I do. I am trying to read a 2003 XC70 without success. Bad CEM I think. I'm running VIDA 2012A under XP on the same computer where I saw VIDA work a year ago. My DiCE has a solid red LED on the Firmware Status, a solid green on Vehicle Interface Status and a flickering green on USB Com Status when trying to communicate. I am installing the software to another XP computer and have have success with the Silicon Labs drivers but the VIDA and DiCE software on the new laptop won't recognize the DiCE. I see a DiCE program from J2534 Tech on the old computer. Are you familiar with that program? It's about 9.55MB.

What have you been able to do with your DiCE other than code reading? Set values in the vehicle? Can you flash it? Can you use it to download software to a vehicle? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I won't even risk to connect these type of units to car. Do not even think to use it for software updates. These devices has cheap components which tries to emulate normal dice functions. The results of trying to push software with these devices are unpredictable and could cost you few thousands $ to fix your ECUs. They need custom driver and firmware so only few basic functions are implemented like read errors from ECUs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just got a used Chinese DiCE. Inside mine looks exactly like this guys (3r1k) here: http://i39.tinypic.com/2uzwa5d.jpg Have you had yours apart? Does it look like this? I saw mine read codes when I bought the car. That was a year ago and I never needed to use it. Now I do. I am trying to read a 2003 XC70 without success. Bad CEM I think. I'm running VIDA 2012A under XP on the same computer where I saw VIDA work a year ago. My DiCE has a solid red LED on the Firmware Status, a solid green on Vehicle Interface Status and a flickering green on USB Com Status when trying to communicate. I am installing the software to another XP computer and have have success with the Silicon Labs drivers but the VIDA and DiCE software on the new laptop won't recognize the DiCE. I see a DiCE program from J2534 Tech on the old computer. Are you familiar with that program? It's about 9.55MB.

What have you been able to do with your DiCE other than code reading? Set values in the vehicle? Can you flash it? Can you use it to download software to a vehicle? Thanks
I was able to get my DiCE working with VIDA and my car by simply changing the Partner group setting in VIDA to AME. Then I discovered that requirement mentioned in another forum post. My unit works wonderfully to read and clear codes. If am able to perform settings on the car I will update my post. Haven't tried that yet. I also found out this one I have can't be flashed. It's one of the ones that uses the Silicon Labs USB-UART drivers instead of the SETEK drivers that come with VIDA. So, no loading software into my car without figuring out how or, why not. No Bluetooth, no SD car slot, although I see on another forum post where sonicj added an SD card. Very cool. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177154-DiCE-Clone-SD-Card

This eBay seller has a very good explaination. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121497416601

For those people with extended electronics capabilities, check this out to get yourself revd' up, then let's talk about more about an open source solution. http://hackingvolvo.blogspot.com/

Lastly, maybe all these DiCE - VIDA comparison posts should be consolidated? Moderators? Thanks...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...mary-of-three-suppliers&p=2422250#post2422250

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
holy moly....these clones are getting crappier all the time. We go from a picture in 2013 where a guy got an actual Teleca PCB to now they are using different drivers to interface this junk?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts