SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've been a member for a while now and long time reader over on the P80 forums for my 2000 V70. But a few weeks ago decided to upgrade to a 2010 S80. I know it's an odd choice for a 19 year old like me but I've always loved the timeless looks of the S80.

Anyways it's a one owner Caspian Blue 2010 S80 with 40,000 miles with absolutely impeccable dealer service records. However not being very familiar with this particular model I do have a few questions I'm hoping I could get answered in this forum. I have searched around but the following questions are the ones I couldn't really get any solid answers for and hoping you guys can help me out.

1. First question being what's the cheapest way to get another key? I have the basic keyless entry but not keyless start car nor do I have the key with the PCC info button. I called a few dealers around in Miami and most quoted me around $400 for a new key. Is there any cheaper way around this or am I stuck paying that price?

2. The keypad on the radio has some severe fading going on to the point that the numbers are barely legible anymore. I asked my Volvo Indy about this and they basically said I'm up a creek since there's no way for them to order individual buttons. Being the few S80's I've seen seem to suffer from this defect, albeit at a lesser extent than mine, is there any way around this? I was thinking of buying a new face plate from a wrecked car? It this something that is possible?

3. Within a few months I am probably going to need to purchase some new tires as the ones on the car are pretty worn down. The car currently has Michelin MXM4's on it, personally I am not a fan of Michelin's as all the sets I have had wear at a ridiculously fast rate and they're a bit pricey as well. I was looking at possibly getting some Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's does anyone have any experience with this tire on an S80, if not what tires would you guys recommend? I don't mind paying top dollar for tires but definitely want to get my money's worth out of them.

4. Lastly and most importantly how do you guys take care of the leather in this car? Although the sun beats down like no tomorrow here in Miami, I'm lucky and have a garage both at school and at work so that definitely cuts down on the sun exposure. However when I bought the car the driver and passenger seats were a little worn down and the dealer I bought it from resprayed the leather bolsters for me to make them look much nicer however I know that is only a temporary solution. On my old Volvo I used Lexol and honestly I would've probably been better off doing nothing because those seats were absolutely destroyed by the sun. Is there any product you guys would recommend? I've heard great things about the Volvo leather care kit and Meguiar's leather care products. Is there any product that you guys swear by?

I look forward to hearing from you guys and I really look forward to learn as much from this forum as I did from the P80 one!

·
Registered
273 Posts
she looks great!

I am sure you can find a radio face at a junk yard try car-parts.com

those contis. i have them and honestly a pretty good tire. i have herd bad stories about them but these really changed my perspective.

the preferated leather is always a pain in my ass to clean. I usually stick to a light product and not a heavy goop. Something that wont get built up. I usually stick to griots but the lexal is a great product and if your used to it even better. their cleaner is one of the best i have found

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been running the conti's on the wife's S80 for over 85,000 miles now (wheel and tire insurance makes sure I never run one below 4/32") ;)anyway I think they're great tires...even in light snow (which you don't need to worry about). Maybe pop for the extreme contact DW's considering you'll never worry about the S part.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I purchased the Ikea version of the Volvo leather care kit for less than half of what a dealer will charge ($40). Ikea did not sell their version online so I had to stop by one of their megastores and finally found it in the leather sofa department. It is called Absorb (201.379.45) and includes a 195 gram bottle of leather cleaner, a sponge. and a 195 gram bottle of leather creme. Says "made in Sweden" on the box. I have used it on our leather furniture and our S80 seats.

Beautiful blue exterior on your S80.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
1. If you don't have keyless starting then you don't have "keyless" by Volvos wording. Keyless is when you can pull the handle without pushing the remote control's button as well as start the car without the key the dash. I bought my S80 with only one key and I paid about $380 for a new key including having it programmed and all at my dealer. So 400 sounds about right (mind you I live in Sweden, what ever price difference that might mean).

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check Tasca for the remote and key, they carry original Volvo parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congrats on the new car! Looks to be in great condition and with only 40k miles practically new.

You'll be the classiest 19yo in town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it!

I'll definitely look around on those websites and hopefully can score some nice buttons for the radio! Also it seems that my only option for the extra key is just going to the dealer, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a cheaper way around it.

Thanks BenBow not gonna lie the Blue Exterior is what initially brought my interest to this particular car, hadn't really ever seen this shade of blue on a Volvo before. I'll look into the Ikea leather cleaner it'll be a good excuse to make that half hour drive to go visit Ikea for the first time haha.

Also really encouraging to hear all the positives about the Conti tires, will definitely go ahead and get those ExtremeContacts.

Again thank you for the great welcome and all of the responses and input from everyone!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I ordered my remote and key from Tasca.com, they are a OEM parts distributer, then took it to the dealer for programming. Give them a try if you are in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I buy a fob off of eBay will a Volvo dealer be able to program that to my car? I've seen a bunch of "new" fobs on eBay for around $50 I'm a little hesitant, but for $50 I think it may just be worth trying it out.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm pretty sure that'll work, yes. But what I wonder is what happens is if the fob you purchase is already programmed to the old car, e.g if it's in a crash and the key is salvaged but not "disconnected" from the car. Would VIDA turn down the installation? I'd ask the dealer just in case.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the same thing I was wondering but I just ordered a supposedly new never previously programmed fob from a highly rated seller (100% feedback on over 4000 sales) so I'm hoping that feedback actually means something and the key will work. Besides it was only $40 so if it doesn't work I can't complain too much. It should be arriving in the mail by next Monday, I'll keep you guys updated on how it works out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
buy yourself a used key and go to the dealer to program it.if the rubber key buttons look used,order a new diaphragm.
I would be VERY careful of buying a used fob and having a dealer reprogram it. I was told that they could not do this, as the dealer needs a new one (that is not yet programmed) to 'marry' to the car. A used one already has this one-time code programmed... and it cannot be erased. I've heard some automotive lock-smiths have the ability to do this, but not the dealer... at least the one near me here in SE WI.

I just bought a new blank fob (no metal key to cut, saving over $100.00 in part/labor for that), so I at least have the fob in case I lock my main one in the car or lose it. I didn't really see a need for another actual metal key. I also used a 25% off dealer coupon code last year on Black Friday for the service to have it done. I can't recall the exact cost, but it was significantly cheaper than having the whole thing done at $450.00!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it!

I'll definitely look around on those websites and hopefully can score some nice buttons for the radio! Also it seems that my only option for the extra key is just going to the dealer, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a cheaper way around it.

Thanks BenBow not gonna lie the Blue Exterior is what initially brought my interest to this particular car, hadn't really ever seen this shade of blue on a Volvo before. I'll look into the Ikea leather cleaner it'll be a good excuse to make that half hour drive to go visit Ikea for the first time haha.

Also really encouraging to hear all the positives about the Conti tires, will definitely go ahead and get those ExtremeContacts.

Again thank you for the great welcome and all of the responses and input from everyone!
Thinking outside the box, when I bought my S40, I asked the MTO (DMV) for a copy of the previous owners. It was a company not too far away. I was about to ask them if they had the second key and they did! Guy was nice about it, gave it to me for free :D

As for the I, I have the PCC for the S80 and I never use it. It's kind of useless IMO. I do like the keyless start though.

For leather care, I use Mother's leather cream and I love it.

For tires, I like the DWS' but the sidewalls are really soft. I've had 5 wheels get about 7-8 balloons in the past 4 sets that I've owned (on this and other cars)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a great idea! Definitely gonna try that and see if I get lucky with that!

Yeah to be honest I don't think I'd really care about the PCC at all but the keyless start sure would be nice. I'm sure eventually that little motor in the dash is gonna need to be replaced with popping the key in and out so much.

Well regarding the tires I actually ended up going with Michelin Primacy MXM4's not a fan of Michelins at all but I got a crazy cheap deal through Costco and they come with a prorated warranty for up to 50k miles so that kind of eased my concerns on the premature wear I've experienced on all my other Michelins

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi guys, as promised here's my update for how everything worked out with the eBay key. I took it to my Volvo Indy Mechanic (since they can get massive discounts at the local Volvo dealer) and they were highly skeptical of the key working but they took it to the dealer for me anyways and got it programmed and charged me the discounted rate they get at the dealer. So I got a brand new key for essentially a quarter of the price of what the dealer wanted from me, not too bad if you ask me. If anyone is interested the seller on eBay is called CarKeysFast and I bought my fob without the metal blade for $39.99.

·
Registered
76 Posts
awesome! what was the programming fee you paid? basically what was the total?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm guessing he was quoted the same as I paid for my new key, about 3000 SEK or about $350 USD. Total was a quarter of that, minus the key at $40 so I'd say programming should've cost about $45-50?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts