SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I am a long time fan of Volvos and have had 240s most of my life. I bought an 850t5r wagon a couple of summers ago and although I loved the car it was a drain on the pocketbook, and had to give it up :thumbdown: was not happy about that ----- anyway-----

I have the chance to buy a 1998 v70 awd 5 speed manual with 472K looks clean and no rust but I have not had the chance to talk with the owner yet. I would welcome any advice that other owners would share with me on the pitfalls of buying such a car. The owner is asking 2500 or best offer. Please guys I could really use a hand with this as I would buy it thinking that the mileage on the car would be nothing for a Volvo and I really need a dependable daily commuter car for the wife and the family outings. But I do not want to get into more of the same with the 850 (Lord I miss that car).

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
472000 km is 293,000 miles for $2500 even though its a rare bird, thats not available here in the USA. thats a $1000 - 1500 car at most depending on condition here in the usa

AWD issues, specifically angle gear, driveshaft and OMG if the fuel pump goes...you have to drop the whole subframe to get to the pump.

If you say the 855 was a money pit, and those are the easiest cars to work on then you WILL HATE THIS CAR EVEN MORE.

the 855 was just a step up from your RWD 240's in simplicity.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
That's a super rare car. Only 7 in Canada with the manual. High mileage but I would grab it if it's nice and rust-free.

Have the AWD thoroughly checked over and if it checks out in spec then offer 2000.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yeah, 7 in Canada, 0 built for the US. It's safe to say it might be one of the rarest Volvos.

It's hard to decide whether you should snatch it up for the rare-value, or pass because it will be just as much of a money-pit (if not more) as your old 850. Aside from being rare, it's not that special of a vehicle like an R would be, and doesn't have any exclusive features other than the transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts