SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't driven the car for a week and today I changed to summer wheels/tires. So immediately noticed when trying to get the car out of the garage that when turning the steering wheel there's this random almost groaning or cracking/dining noise as if something under pressure cracks and then sets back. Hard to explain, it's not a clicking noise and it doesn't seem to occur when going over potholes.

Comes from the front passenger side.

I thought it was related to putting the summer wheel(s) so I took it off, examined everything and put it back on. Same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I have a thunk in mine when turning at low speeds. I was told it was the strut bearings that are made of plastic, and when they wear they allow the springs to sort of pop under tension as the rotate. Not sure if maybe a similar problem on yours. I can get mine to do it even when not moving just by turning the wheel.

The part to fix is cheap, but since my car is 10 years old I'm going to just be ordering new struts to be done with it, as the labor is the same, and I don't feel like doing a big job a 2nd time if I can avoid it.

Reactions: William H

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sounds it's the same issue - just turning the wheel does it.
My car is also 10 years old with 107k miles.
Please let me know if you have a thread or if post a write up as you do your struts. I assume you're doing it yourself?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Planning on ordering mine next Friday (payday). If I run into any problems I'll post!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably strut bearings. Not a horrible job. The hardest part on the P3 is dealing with the pinch bolt and separating the strut from the knuckle. If doing it solo, it requires a long prybar and a little finesse. Be sure to get an alignment afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Will do once I decide....
Won't be OEM as I want to shift this towards more performance, but I don't know that I want to lower the car due to PA roads (and living on a farm).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Over the years I have noticed that the steering became harder and harder - turning the steering wheel required more power. Maybe I'm wrong due to the fact that I drive my wive's 2020 Jetta and my son's 2011 S40. The S60 feels heavier overall which I like, but again the steering seems harder than it used to be -- would the replacement with OEM struts make a difference?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Seems counterintuitive, typically things get vague and loose as bushings and linkages wear... unless the power steering is failing? (but then I would imagine that's more of a binary type event, e.g. it either works or it doesn't).

The PS in my car is definitely heavier than my Outback, which I like. I have the adaptable power steering and have it set to Medium.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the strut bearings are worn and rusty, they will definitely not turn as easily and the steering may require more effort.

I would replace the struts, strut bearings, and the strut mount. Also the bump stop and the boots. Use new pinch bolts and new axle bolts. I'd also consider new strut mount bolts although suitable replacements for those are readily available at any auto parts store. Springs should be fine and not need replacement unless very rusty or obviously broken.

·
Registered
2017 S60 Dynamic Passion Red, tints and mooses. IPD rear sway bar and end links. RD strut brace
40 Posts
I just had this done at my dealership as my son's S40 is on jack stands in the garage, and I didn't want to do the work :ROFLMAO: steering is noticably better. Only 64K on it, but up and down West MI highway everyday kills cars

·
Registered
16' V60 Cross Country - silver metallic
64 Posts
I just had this done at my dealership as my son's S40 is on jack stands in the garage, and I didn't want to do the work :ROFLMAO: steering is noticably better. Only 64K on it, but up and down West MI highway everyday kills cars
Gotta love MDOT and MI roads eh? Construction, construction, construction

·
Registered
2017 S60 Dynamic Passion Red, tints and mooses. IPD rear sway bar and end links. RD strut brace
40 Posts
The potholes between construction zones too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts