SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the usual inability to shut off the radio and worry about running down the battery if not locking the doors after exiting. Yesterday was a new one. Went to do some shopping for a couple of hours and locked the car as usual. Returned and started the car and a warning came up stating LOW BATTERY CONDITION. I looked around and couldn't see anything unusual. The car started normally, so I drove for about 5 minutes and noticed the seat getting warm (since it was 88 degrees in south FL this was indeed unusual). Looking at the center screen I noticed that the driver's heated seat indicator was full blast. Evidently I had touched it by accident. I drove around for about 15 minutes to try and recharge and went home. Got in the car this morning and the same message came up. Called the dealer and scheduled a visit this afternoon.

Long and short, the battery has to be changed and 5 updates have been added. Haven't been able to talk to the tech yet. Interesting. Anyone else had this happen? Will give a follow up when it becomes clearer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are these two separate issues? I don't understand the seat heating, sounds like you just turned it on? Or do you think they're related?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The front seat heaters survive from one driving session to another. When the car is off, they are off, when you turn it on they automatically come on again. The real seats only last a fixed amount of time and turn themselves off. My seat heater has been on continuously for a week now, when the engine is on. Same with the steering wheel. So unless you specifically saw it on before you turned the engine on again, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
We're just saying that the low battery is not necessarily related to the heated seats, based on your account and based on others reports of battery drainage not connected to a specific function but possibly related to the radio not turning off/staying off. Yes a new battery this early is a concern.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The front seat heaters survive from one driving session to another. When the car is off, they are off, when you turn it on they automatically come on again. The real seats only last a fixed amount of time and turn themselves off. My seat heater has been on continuously for a week now, when the engine is on. Same with the steering wheel. So unless you specifically saw it on before you turned the engine on again, I wouldn't worry about it.
Wish Volvo programmed it that way in the S80. Seat heater setting resets at every every time car is turned off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wish Volvo programmed it that way in the S80. Seat heater setting resets at every every time car is turned off.
I guess we've found another thing that should be offered as a user-selectable feature: retain seat/wheel heating setting across car restart.

·
Registered
433 Posts
there's an option to set the seat and steering heating to start automatically as well.
Right. I think it comes from a "nordic" perspective where it is so cold that you want the heating to start automatically. In more temperate climates it probably makes more sense to have the "persistency if wanted", so that if you are having a bad weather period you turn it on and it stays on until you turn it off again.
To be honest not a real problem for me, I can live very well with the current setup.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The heated seat ran down the battery. Locking the doors should have interrupted the current. Yes?
Yes, the seat heaters should have been interrupted. What we're asking is how do you know they weren't? From your initial description you only realized the seat heaters were still on after you got back in the car and started driving again, which is exactly the behavior that should have been expected. Did you see the seat heaters on even with the car off? If not, are you just assuming it was them because it was the only thing you could identify that might have caused battery drain? If the latter, there are lots of other issues that may have -- the radio coming on on its own, the modem trying to communicate while the car is off, etc.

In any event, I share your concern about battery drain. It is my biggest concern with this car overall so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish I could give you an update, however the car went in on Monday for a checkout. Since then it has undergone 5 software updates, a new battery and today, Friday it still sits in the dealership unreleased by Volvo North America. Maybe Monday. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wish I could give you an update, however the car went in on Monday for a checkout. Since then it has undergone 5 software updates, a new battery and today, Friday it still sits in the dealership unreleased by Volvo North America. Maybe Monday. Stay tuned.
Hello was it the rear battery that was replaced?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The service manager said it was "the front battery" but I haven't been able to talk to the tech, so I'm not sure. Hope to have a lot of answers Monday. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Interesting. The front battery is supposed to be to power the car while the engine shuts down at stops feature while the rear battery is the primary one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK here is the story as explained by the tech, who is an experienced Volvo mechanic. They don't know that the heated seat was activated before or after the door was locked. They do know that the battery ( the starter battery in the left rear of the automobile) was defective in one cell and needed to be replaced. Interestingly it is an Interstate battery. They also installed the following updates: CEM, ECM, SRS, IHU, VCM. He explained briefly each one, which I promptly forgot. After driving a day and a half I can say that the radio still does not shut off after leaving the drivers seat and re-entering and the Sirius radio still only fully loads about half the time.

I did learn something I had a problem with not previously described. While unloading something from the rear, the tail gate suddenly descended on my back and then opened again. This happened again a few seconds later. No physical injury, but certainly a mental one. The tech and I both thought this had been triggered by the foot sensor. Unlike most manufacturers Volvo has it set up to both open and close with this accessory. To my mind this is not good. Certainly worth investigating .

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just experienced the radio staying on issue for the first time. I went into my garage this morning, and the radio was blaring. For all I know, it was going all night long. Hopefully, this problem is being addressed in the update. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to remember to lock it each night.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just experienced the radio staying on issue for the first time. I went into my garage this morning, and the radio was blaring. For all I know, it was going all night long. Hopefully, this problem is being addressed in the update. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to remember to lock it each night.
It's happened to me 4 times now when the car IS locked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts