SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Did they keep the same thin cylinder walls and just remove a cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I'm sure its just a hair thicker to support that 450HP, lol.

As long as it makes it past the warranty period its all good.
Right, the cylinder walls are guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. ;)

EDIT: "I'm sure" sounds like awfully strong wording considering... lol

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
So is the timing belt... The SPA engine is different than the whiteblock 4 banger.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they keep the same thin cylinder walls and just remove a cylinder?

I'm sure its just a hair thicker to support that 450HP, lol.

As long as it makes it past the warranty period its all good.

Right, the cylinder walls are guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. ;)

EDIT: "I'm sure" sounds like awfully strong wording considering... lol

lolol...i would really love to see first hand or pictures between the sleeves of 2011 t6 block or latest or the last of t5 blocks...just to see what they did there.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
uhmmm..maybe i missed something like 2011 and up t6 or t5 block??
I don't know anything about them to know what it was. Tried a quick search and the title of the thread made it seem like it might be applicable. :confused: :beer:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know anything about them to know what it was. Tried a quick search and the title of the thread made it seem like it might be applicable. :confused: :beer:

oh ok...i just would like to see if volvo corp. actually did something different with the cuts between the sleeves or if they beefed up the liners or what...but I cant find a picture of newer block anywhere without the head...:beer:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I recall reading about this a year or so ago. Pretty neat package when you think about it. Getting that amount of power out of a 2.0L 4-cylinder reliably without major turbo lag is impressive so looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Maybe they'll take all they learn from the race car, design some fancy trim bits, add them to whatever the model is that most closely resembles the race car, and then throw a junky naturally aspirated 6 cylinder under the hood. They could call it the "R-Style". lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
For a "new R engine" they need to add one more cylinder, then get 600HP stock. The T6 powered polestar had more potential for horsepower than the 505HP that the prototype came tuned with officially. The clutch just had a hard time accepting it. The real way to introduce it would be to build a brand new 240 from a pile of spare parts around that engine. I'm sure they'd have no problem finding a buyer.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
For a "new R engine" they need to add one more cylinder, then get 600HP stock. The T6 powered polestar had more potential for horsepower than the 505HP that the prototype came tuned with officially. The clutch just had a hard time accepting it. The real way to introduce it would be to build a brand new 240 from a pile of spare parts around that engine. I'm sure they'd have no problem finding a buyer.
Hey man, why don't you take that crazy idea and go back to Turbobricks where you belong!

But seriously, I don't think they'll ever do a RWD car again. So you'd have to do it yourself. Wonder if you can mount a MK1 Volvo IRS out of a 760/780 onto a 242....
:p

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
when v8 has so much ownage why go w 2.0 @ 40-50K? Gas is cheap again and the planet just fine... just too many humans +cars so gas powered engines with human pilots will be illegal at some point lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HFaTTZbQfQ

http://www.v8volvos.com/
V8s are heavy, inefficient and a relic of the past. Gasoline powered cars are a relic. However, with the dirtiness of the power used to charge in electric cars is a problem. Nuclear power is the only way to make cars clean.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts