SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 XC90 is at the local Volvo dealership for the 60k service and they say I need new brakes and rotors. I replaced them in December of 2007 and since then have put 28k miles on the car. Seems a little soon but I live in a hilly area and the wife might be hard on the brakes.

My question is this, they want to charge me on a "special" $600 for front brakes and rotors. I called the local Bucky's and they can do them for around $300. When I called the Volvo dealership back to tell him to stop he said the Bucky's will install aftermarket brakes and rotors and I will definitely notice the difference in stopping distance and noise and, of course, he wouldn't recommend it.

Am I being fed a line of BS?

I should say that they found several things under the CPO warranty they are going to replace and I appreciate that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: New Front Brakes and Rotors - Price? (BadmoJoe)

Quote, originally posted by BadmoJoe »
My question is this, they want to charge me on a "special" $600 for front brakes and rotors. I called the local Bucky's and they can do them for around $300. When I called the Volvo dealership back to tell him to stop he said the Bucky's will install aftermarket brakes and rotors and I will definitely notice the difference in stopping distance and noise and, of course, he wouldn't recommend it.

Am I being fed a line of BS?

I should say that they found several things under the CPO warranty they are going to replace and I appreciate that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

u should call Bucky and ask what parts they are going to use.

I just ordered Centric pads and rotors for $200 and change, labor at my indie mech would be ~$150.00, but i am going to do brakes by myself.

The OEM parts are not perfect either: the pads are very dusty, and one of the front rotors on our '05 XC90 is rotted -yes, my mechanic checked the car before warranty expires next month and found one rotor going rotten on the inside. The Akebono pads are about 1/2 way down, but one of the rotors is bad_-I fell pulsating steering wheel even before he showed me the rotor.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Tirerack has a range of parts to pick from, but you can easily spend upwards of $300 or more just for the rotors and pads. Labor is labor, and it takes time to get the job done. It's just a matter of how much you value your own time at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
we called around after we were told that we needed to replace rotors and brakes and in the front. Everywhere was charging about the same. It was already at the dealer's so we went ahead and had them do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: (az.girl)

i just had mine done and it was $675 installed with akebono ceramic pads and palinga rotors which are comparable if not slightly better than brembo

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Re: (pistolp1)

Like everyone else has already stated, that's probably a fair price. Volvo OEM brakes are very good as are the rotors. You could probably go elsewhere, but if you tell them you want something equal to the OEM, it'll be $600.

If you have some mechanical talent, it's a very easy job to do yourself for WAY less money. I just did the brakes on my R and it was about 15 minutes a side, it's a very simple job and everything is very easy to get to.

Good luck in whatever you do.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: (Husker Z)

Usually the rotors are just fine, they like to put new ones on because they can
charge you more.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BadmoJoe »
My question is this, they want to charge me on a "special" $600 for front brakes and rotors.

Considering that the "special" is $149 for brake pad replacement, the real question is if $450 is too much for a pair of rotors and labor. IMO, yes.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Just checked "autopartswarehouse.com." Free shipping.

Rotors range from $265 to $108 (pair).

Pads range from $73 to $41.

Do not try to save money on is brakes/rotors. The reason is cheap rotors tend to come from China and are not heat treated properly - they tend to warp.

Whichever way you decide (dealer or DIY), be sure and break them in: be gentle, as much to ensure pad seating as having the rotors go through a number of heat cycles. This will ensure long life. When stopped at a long light, try to remember to allow your vehicle to roll forward a
few feet every 10-15 seconds to prevent heat sink at a single point on the rotor. This is important when the pads/rotors are new and/or after a long, hard stop when there is lots of heat generated by the stop.

And flush the brake fluid every three years.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I would try http://www.ipdusa.com They are very good volvo parts house. I use them on my 2004 XC90. The OEM rotors are around 90.00 each and the ceramic pads are around 80.00 for the set. I just did rotors and pads on mine for less than 300.00 with my labor. The dust is very minimal with the ceramics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: New Front Brakes and Rotors - Price? (MagoonR)

As a general rule, which models have which size front rotors, or is it a model year thing where they upsized the rotors? Usually, Tire Rack is spot-on with filtering on exact parts, but they flag both sizes as potential for the T6, and I'd like to avoid making the wrong purchase. (and I'm too lazy to measure the ones on the car now)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts