SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbup:

Had my '10 XC90 3.2 in for the 30k service yesterday.

I had a FW update at the 22.5k service that I was never happy with. It seemed to let the engine idle rough when the AC is on and I was less happy with the shift points than prior.

With the FW that was downloaded at 30k, the 3.2 is very smooth at idle (the vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal is gone) and the shift mapping is much more aggressive. The transmission will kick down at less than half throttle to maintain speed up a hill and kick down 2-3 gears much more quickly when the throttle is punched. Not sure if it's my imagination but the throttle response even within a gear seems to be better.

Anyone have a FW update recently and can validate what I'm experiencing?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the XC on some twisties with rolling hills and I have to say the transmission and engine now feel as if they are working together. In the past the engine would lug in a high gear and I would have to force a downshift.

We'll have to see if fuel economy changes. How much worse could it get - the trip meter says "15.3" :ugh:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I took the XC on some twisties with rolling hills and I have to say the transmission and engine now feel as if they are working together. In the past the engine would lug in a high gear and I would have to force a downshift.

We'll have to see if fuel economy changes. How much worse could it get - the trip meter says "15.3" :ugh:
Eww, that's nasty. We average 19 and it rarely dips below that over a tank's worth of travel. That's almost all wife hauling the children around a mix of in town and highway, using 91 octane with the mandated NC 10% ethanol.

You know if this new firmware would apply to a 2008 3.2? And is it for everyone who gets a regular service, or just those that complain?

Where do you service?

Given your sig, I'd guess that you go to Weaver. The Triangle has been overripe with Yankees for over 25 years now. I can say that because I first moved down here 40 years ago back when I was a wee lad, so I count myself as a real Southerner (even though we actually just moved back to Chapel Thrill from CT and only live here part time).

We do most of ours with a trusted Indy in Carborro but for dealer stuff we go to Maxwell in Burlington. My Dad bought a 760 from Weaver way back in the 80s and we got good service from them, but that was along time ago. How are they now?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way if the firmware has been upgraded yet?
I'm sure there is a way, don't know how though. Looks like you've got a different engine/trans combo than I do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just to bump this for those that own the 3.2:

Another forum participant has mentioned getting the software update last month on a 3.2 in another thread. His is a 2008, and he also feels as if he got better throttle response.

So it looks like this new release might apply to all 3.2s and could help with the throttle mapping & transmission mapping issues that make some think the car is too underpowered.

I asked our dealer for it and they said that you have to bring the car in and complain about something to get it applied under warranty, or you can pay for the diagnostic and the techs will hook it up to a computer and check if there is a firmware update for your specific model.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Shouldn't have to have a complaint

Just to bump this for those that own the 3.2:

Another forum participant has mentioned getting the software update last month on a 3.2 in another thread. His is a 2008, and he also feels as if he got better throttle response.

So it looks like this new release might apply to all 3.2s and could help with the throttle mapping & transmission mapping issues that make some think the car is too underpowered.

I asked our dealer for it and they said that you have to bring the car in and complain about something to get it applied under warranty, or you can pay for the diagnostic and the techs will hook it up to a computer and check if there is a firmware update for your specific model.
I thought under the new Volvo Service For Life campaign we now get free software updates applied for life of the vehicle as part of regular maintenance. You shouldn't have to take it in with a complaint to get an update if there is new firmware available.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvoserviceforlife/pages/default.aspx

This includes most Volvos since 2002 excluding the likes of the Phase 2 S/V40 models.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought under the new Volvo Service For Life campaign we now get free software updates applied for life of the vehicle as part of regular maintenance. You shouldn't have to take it in with a complaint to get an update if there is new firmware available.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvoserviceforlife/pages/default.aspx

This includes most Volvos since 2002 excluding the likes of the Phase 2 S/V40 models.
True enough, but for those of us who do scheduled maintenance at a local trusted indy (because it's WAY cheaper), this won't apply.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True enough, but for those of us who do scheduled maintenance at a local trusted indy (because it's WAY cheaper), this won't apply.
Do indy's even have a way to obtain the latest code? Are MFRs required to provide this to indy's?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe Indys can buy dice and vida just like dealers....

tapa tapa tapatalk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts